Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

UO + SWG + YOUR pick crafting systems = AOC crafting

Hi guys, I will speak on this later, I need to rush off to work soon. But mainly what I am saying. Will we see the best of crafting from those older games, with a touch of something more added? I only used the two games I know about, but please use examples of games you have played. I think the crafting in AoC should be very deep and very entertaining. Not boring, and give you the feeling of doing something of meaning in-game. So strike that GM mark on your item and let's talk about it.

Comments

• ShoklenShoklen Member
    edited December 2019
    SWG was a head of it's time, and maybe will never be seen again. Since SWG these games have been so dumb-downed for better or worst... I get people have limited time, but that's what adulting is, and will always be... So I understand why some aspects have gotten easier (ie click n' craft).... Hopefully there will be a renaissance back into a more creative time and complex gaming experience.

If I remember correctly some of the Ashes team worked on SWG... So there is hope... I have the feeling we are going to get click n' craft with, perhaps, a pinch of points to enhance this or that... or the ability to a add 'skills/abilities' to items (armor/weapons).. something along those lines.. but nothing complex like the days of SWG.

Unfortunately. I truly hope I'm wrong...
  • bloodfynbloodfyn Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    SWG is and was by far the best crafting system in any game that i have played over the years. Not only the level of your character, but crafting gear. And the kicker was the level/quality of ore, organic, etc of your raw material. I was a full time crafter and spent weeks/months finding/buying raws and making the best items that could be offered to players on the market. Played my entire career from alpha to nge without having a character that could fight, but ran an empire of crafted goods. I know some folks don't like this aspect of the game, but it is what kept me playing and had an entire circle of players that used to come to me to get them the items that helped them dominate their pve/pvp experience. I miss that in a game.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I never played either UO or SWG so can't really comment on those so instead I'll discuss the crafting systems of WoW and GW2. Wow has always had an underwhelming crafting system that is not only boring to use but largely pointless until you get to max level. On many occasions I've tried levelling up my crafting alongside my character in order to use the things I crafted but it never worked. The crafting always fell very far behind. That's why most players don't even bother with crafting in WoW until max level.

By contrast I'm currently levelling up a character with crafting in GW2 and it's far easier to keep up with. The items I make can be used on my character at the appropriate level all the time. Anything surplus that I make can be broken back down into component parts and sold or stored for later use.

The next big difference between WoW and GW2 is that in order to make the best gear in GW2 you have to combine low level materials together. This means there is always a healthy market for low level materials and reasons for high level players to visit low level zones, keeping them populated.

The reason why I point this out is that the success of the crafting system is dependent on how it interacts with the other game systems. You can have the best, most in depth, enjoyable crafting system in the world, but if it doesn't fit with the rest of the game it will fail.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I did not play either of the two games you mention though I have a few guild mates who wax lyrical about SWG and its crafting system. The one game I played that I did really enjoy and find the crafting experience quite in depth was Vanguard.

It would take you as long to level your crafting profession as it did your combat levels, you had a complete set of non combat gear that provided stats related to either refining, harvesting or crafting and you could not do it all, if you wanted to master all professions it took a long time and several characters to do so. The process of making an item was a whole mini game in its self that could fail if you were too ambitious in the level of what you were trying to craft, yes you lost your materials.

Harvesting provided the raw materials of different rarities with numerous materials being needed to produce a final product. Then there were the materials needed to build houses and ships with quests telling you where to go and study or rather try and find things like key stones to study and there were at time in not so easily accessed areas that would require a group to clear mobs so you could get near them. Constructing housing and ships would require huge amounts of materials and the input of other players to help construct the different components for the final product.

How I made my gold and platinum was simply by making horse shoes that provided a few % to movement speed, they were always my top seller.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • I always thought that the way gear are stuck in lvl was a waist of creative work. Early gears arts are waist because we don't keep them a long time...

I'd like to see low lvl gears be rise to mid late lvl gears by master artisans.
    I think it could be good thing if masters could us height ranks resources on low recipes to buff them up.
    Some things like a balance between the rank of the resources and the rank of the recipes.
    If you choose to go for height rank on both you'll have low chances of success but it will be outstanding stuff in the others hand if you go for both low you'll got height success rate but normal stuff. So all depends on the risks vs rewards that Steven like .

I think it could increase the offer and us of all gears and create a resources sink that will push back the moment where it will be easy to have height ranked stuff all over the server
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gimlog wrote: »
    I always thought that the way gear are stuck in lvl was a waist of creative work. Early gears arts are waist because we don't keep them a long time...

I'd like to see low lvl gears be rise to mid late lvl gears by master artisans.
    I think it could be good thing if masters could us height ranks resources on low recipes to buff them up.
    Some things like a balance between the rank of the resources and the rank of the recipes.
    If you choose to go for height rank on both you'll have low chances of success but it will be outstanding stuff in the others hand if you go for both low you'll got height success rate but normal stuff. So all depends on the risks vs rewards that Steven like .

I think it could increase the offer and us of all gears and create a resources sink that will push back the moment where it will be easy to have height ranked stuff all over the server

Being able to raise the level and stats of armour pieces would certainly be interesting, not to mention providing more work for the crafters.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I too like the idea of being able to upgrade equipment to keep it current. You have a choice of upgrading or replacing it depending on whether you find something new you like better.

Hhak63P.png
  • Well how I see this working out, and I hope to the gods we have something close to the following:

1. Get your materials to work with.
    2. Set up a work station or use the local work stations in towns.
    3. You start off making simple items, ones to require little to no skill to use.
    4. As you gain in skill, so goes the level of materials need, and how complexed the item you make can be.
    5. Complex items in the craft will need multiple items to make.
    6. High-level items should have higher chances to fail, but the reward for striking a master item will be great.
    7. You should be able to mark your top-level GM items with your name or name it within reason.

Mind you this is only crafting, not selling or gathering of items, both of which will have its own areas you have to work on to get better with them. How you gain the MATS you need in crafting, you have to figure that part out, and how you sell again this is a choice you need to make. I keep this as simple as I could, but if you want details, then break down the following if you will.

1. Armor craft
    2. Weapon craft
    3. Bowyer
    4. Potions
    5. Clothes
    6. Food & Drinks
    7. Enchantments & Scrolls
    8. Wood Crafting (Carpenter)
    Just using the professions I seen from other games, might have more in AoC, but we will see.
  • Well if I understood well crafter will be able to focus stats on craft .
    Like x:5
    y:5
    z:5
    And choose to put all 15 point in only one.
    But it won't matter on early gears ...
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We'll have to see whether high level enchantments can be put on any gear or if they are limited by level.
    And we will have to see if Blacksmith's can increase the levels of any gear.
    Yes.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I always thought that the way gear are stuck in lvl was a waist of creative work. Early gears arts are waist because we don't keep them a long time...
    Being abke to upgrade gear could be ok, but only if you needed to use the services of the profession that makes the item in question. If not, crafting will die really quickly.

In terms of the art on low level items - most games reuse art assets from gear multiple times, and many games also let you equip gear in an appearance only slot ao that you can make use of the art on any item regardless of its level.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    Being abke to upgrade gear could be ok, but only if you needed to use the services of the profession that makes the item in question. If not, crafting will die really quickly.
    That’s the entire point, to keep crafters engaged.

You could even upgrade loot drops/quest reward gear with crafters possibly. That way they’re participating even if they aren’t making gear themselves.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »

You could even upgrade loot drops/quest reward gear with crafters possibly. That way they’re participating even if they aren’t making gear themselves.

Intrepid would need to be a little bit careful with it though. If you make the crafting professions too impactful you get a situation like WoW had a few years back, where every single raider had to have maxed out crafting in order to be competitive.

There is also the problem of players being able to buy the best gear and using it to beat others who are more skilled than them.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »

Intrepid would need to be a little bit careful with it though. If you make the crafting professions too impactful you get a situation like WoW had a few years back, where every single raider had to have maxed out crafting in order to be competitive.

There is also the problem of players being able to buy the best gear and using it to beat others who are more skilled than them.

There will always be people who will buy the best gear somehow. People sell high end runs in wow raids for gold or rl money. The current direction will be 50/50 crafted/obtained through raids and dungeons gear. The problem with the needed endgame raid gear from crafters, was that the needed gear was totally rng for the crafters, and the other gear that they normally could craft was pretty useless.
    a6XEiIf.gif