Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

RNG mechanics, and what I've learned from loot boxes

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
RNG mechanics to me have seemed too random for me, and thats where the controlled and calculated chaos of loot boxes has informed me.

There are certain percentages of probability that these loot box selling businesses have keyed in on and tuned, and I think we need to exploit that for gameplay.

The data driven process of perfecting these things to be pitch perfect for making you want to roll again can inform things like say, a passive ability with a proc, or procs.

I think for most of the time, random procs don't do anything consistently enough for you to feel excited about opting to use them over consistent abilities with sure fire promised actions.

Thats why I think there needs to be filler "junk" that abilities with RNG Procs, do more often, then just having it do one thing randomly. Having many different possible outcomes to an RNG ability creates consistency in terms of output that I think people who invest in an ability would like to see.

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    after playing games like xcom and battle brothers and any boardgame, I despise RNG with a passion. (how does a shield drone block a goddam monolith) so the less RNG the better
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • RNG boxes are meant to recreate gambling and all the manipulations and endorphin hooks it entails.

They also serve to obfuscate the actual costs behind them, same as double-stacked digital currencies do. We’re buying cosmetics with real money right now, Embers after that. The single step currencies such as Embers are more convenient and typically have direct proportions to real money. Currencies you have to obtain via some RNG systems, or currencies you buy with other real money currencies just muddled the waters of costs.

“You can buy this rare mount for only 25 sparkles! And you earn sparkles opening our loot boxes you can get in packs of 1 or 5! Which are purchased using Jewels you can buy with real money in packs of 500, 1000, or 5000!”

Basically never use ESO’s money scamming schemes with gambling boxes, where they’ll price one mount at a value of $125-$200 but it’s under two layers of currency changes.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank goodness Steven despises loot boxes.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    T Elf wrote: »

It's not just about loot boxes. Many mmorpgs employ the same physiological techniques to keep people playing without resorting to loot boxes. Just because real money isn't involved doesn't mean the games are any less manipulative.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, the removed currencies as in use real money to buy a currency, and then use that to buy what you want hoping that it doesn't feel like you are spending real money, and that the exchange rate is not as favorable.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    T Elf wrote: »

It's not just about loot boxes. Many mmorpgs employ the same physiological techniques to keep people playing without resorting to loot boxes. Just because real money isn't involved doesn't mean the games are any less manipulative.
    This is true. Let’s say you need a certain weapon to be competitive in the endgame for your chosen build. It only drops off the last boss in a 3 hour raid. There’s a minuscule chance of it dropping off that boss. You might find yourself spending hours upon hours trying to get that weapon. While you’re not scamming their money with a loot box you’re doing the equivalent with their time. (I’m an old EverQuest veteran and I’ve experienced this kind of thing.)

Ah, but crafting is essential in AoC, and crafted items are going to rival the best drops! Great! So one component needed to craft that item only drops off the last boss in a 3 hour raid, and there’s only a minuscule chance...

Hhak63P.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2019
    *meh*
    For me, the cosmetics store is just as bad as P2W.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't like the idea of a cosmetic store alongside a subscription. I think cosmetic stores make sense as a standalone monetization model for an otherwise free to play game.
    k2U15J3.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    even worse when its in a test for a game that is not even in alpha yet
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I too hate the cosmetics store, and all the money I keep spending in it.

Hmm, I need to go see if there’s anything new there now.

Hhak63P.png
    Yep just bought the boots and greatcoat.

I hate the store.

Hhak63P.png
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    interesting
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ok a TL:DR would suffice I guess.

Lessons learned