Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Map!

BehagueBehague Member
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
Hell yeah, we got a map
Looks like it shows where the 4 portals are (the circles) and the diamonds probably representing where the 2 sub-races each came from.
Looks like Dwarves came from North-West, Orcs from North-East, Elves South-East and Humans South-West

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2019-12-31-creative-directors-letter

Comments

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes nice to see the map, the letter was really good providing some good definitive information on the road ahead. Just hope for no serious setbacks and development progresses well.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Yeah fingers crossed. https://youtu.be/VzsxxlFcplU
    This lazy Peon made some good points though...
  • Now watch, as the leaders of men destroy themselves in envy of place holding. The Evil Lord Sauron will rise in the East and the armies of men will bend to his power!
    Haha, just kidding. Serial though, no homo.
  • HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's interesting to see that dwarves might end up starting at the opposite side of the map to the most ice covered region. They could very well start in the mesas.
  • hartwell wrote: »
    It's interesting to see that dwarves might end up starting at the opposite side of the map to the most ice covered region. They could very well start in the mesas.

When you start you can choose any of the 4 starting areas unless you choose Tulnar. The Dwarves at the North-West I assume because the Niküa had the tropical islands
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I was under the impression that they were going to make it so any race can start at any portal - is that no longer the case?
    noaani wrote: »
    I was under the impression that they were going to make it so any race can start at any portal - is that no longer the case?

I think it is still the case, but those diamonds seem to point out some significant locations. I would imagine that races would have post-apocalypse lore in set locations.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really wonder, where the best race in AoC will start. (I mean Tulnar, if you didnt know)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • noaani wrote: »

No, it's still the case I'm sure. Just as far as fluff is concerned, the world is us re-populating, and it looks like this is where they exited from.
  • BehagueBehague Member
    edited January 2020
    Damokles wrote: »
    I really wonder, where the best race in AoC will start. (I mean Tulnar, if you didnt know)

Underneath I think. Where the scum and villains usually come from 🤪
    Behague wrote: »

Underneath I think. Where the scum and villains usually come from 🤪

Did you just call the Tulnar scum? We at least didnt planet hop, because you could not handle a bit corruption!
    We were here for all those years, weathered the corruption, and when the corruption finally settles and we can claim our birthright you come back?!? Do you expect us to just hand it over? We would rather drown you all in your own blood before letting you all take even one more step into vera!
    a6XEiIf.gif

The Tulnar were probably people who couldn't make it to the gateways in time, so I would imagine that they would've originated from people too far from the gateways to actually escape. Perhaps blocked in by mountain ranges and large bodies of water. If the tunnels of the Underrealm connect to everywhere for gameplay reasons, they'd be closer to the center of the map. If they are lizard people, lizards require warm climates.

One of the continents has warmer climates next to some mountains and ocean that blocks access to divine gates, which happen to be closer to the center of the world map.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have laid claim to all
    y1SMvev.jpg

nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I thought I've found 5 portals. Hmmm well time will tell.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

Nagash wrote: »
    I have laid claim to all
    y1SMvev.jpg

Doesnt the dead, grey mountain range at the south western corner make more sense to house your army of the dead?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There's a refreshing lack of the egg carton style map of other MMOs - I've always liked LoTRO type maps with hedges and other soft boundaries that warned you that a level difference was to be expected but rarely prevented a player from exploring areas where being fleet of foot was the only defense.
    owuEH4S.png
    I have laid claim to all
    y1SMvev.jpg

Doesnt the dead, grey mountain range at the south western corner make more sense to house your army of the dead?

but I like sand
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I have laid claim to all
    y1SMvev.jpg

but I like sand

tenor.gif?itemid=15851243
    a6XEiIf.gif
    I have laid claim to all
    y1SMvev.jpg

but I like sand

tenor.gif?itemid=15851243

I walked into that one
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I love this map. It has detail and definition that makes each part look interesting.
  • nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    noaani wrote: »

Any race can start from any portal unless they change it again. I believe the different starting areas will be each specific race with their own types of quests, but you don't have to go to your specific starting area if you don't want to.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2020
    Behague wrote: »
    Hell yeah, we got a map
    Looks like it shows where the 4 portals are (the circles) and the diamonds probably representing where the 2 sub-races each came from.
    Looks like Dwarves came from North-West, Orcs from North-East, Elves South-East and Humans South-West

https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2019-12-31-creative-directors-letter

Just came across this - "The diamonds are the starting settlements for the returning races."

At 4:33, Jahlon shows Steven's quote - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH25FYTqiHs
  • BehagueBehague Member
    edited January 2020
    Damn fantastic
    Jahlons best video is still his Nodes 3 though, its somewhere on the forums...
    I think that the dwarves will have their nodes in the upper left and the orcs in the upper right.
    The nikua need coastal lines and jungles to fit their stile, while the regular dwarves need mountains.
    The orcs are split into one faction that reminds me of swamps, and another that has the stereotypical asian buildings. A higher elevation would fit there really well.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wait I just realized but isnt ashes not supposed to have a map? I thought we as players have to create the maps when we enter the world? Or is the world map a thing that exists based on ancestral knowledge and regional and more detailed maps something the players figure out?
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • @voidshadow no there is a map and we come in and establish the living cities at predetermined nodes, and then the trade routes are created between those.
  • This map is not detailed at all.
    Every squares are 0.22im^2
    I guess players will make more detailed maps.
    Gimlog wrote: »
    This map is not detailed at all.
    Every squares are 0.22im^2
    I guess players will make more detailed maps.

Its just nice to have the landmass laid out
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Ofc and there are already enough information on it to make me depressing on which gate to choose ...