Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Pet System

I think a pet system like ARK's is better than the easy mechanics of spell casting. I think obtaining a pet should require some work in raising the pet, including feeding the pet.

Pets should also have a decay timer, so they grow old and useless, until they die. Also, they should have the ability to be revived a few times perhaps, in case of some people's mischief. You ask how many times, you should already know the answer for a cat, having nine lives. So large animals could have a certain number of lives.

The Ranger Class and the Specialized Class of Rangers, should more easily be able to train pets, and any wild pet. They should be the only class to be able to handle the strongest, more powerful pets. Perhaps even control more than one pet.

Rangers and the Specialized Class of Rangers, should be able to control a wild beast, for a limited duration, and raise a pet for a longer duration, having a slower decay timer.

I think its pretty cool to find a nest, den, or lair, and be able to obtain an egg, chick, cub, wolves, piglet, etc. Perhaps livestock could be obtained the same way for future mats, finding young calves, lambs, etc. There are a lot of people who play, just to farm.

Pet Specialization could be an entire class system to their self. Perhaps they could be specialized to be used as mounts, defensive/offensive capabilities, as perimeter guards, and to be able to fetch and gather. They could also be cute and cuddly for people who like ordinary domesticated animals, which means they had better show up to feed and water them when they have hunger timers, otherwise they will run off, or die.

I hope and encourage folks to imagine possibilities. Gaming is becoming more sophisticated, and I think, has to be attractive to nearly every genre that attracts the most people.

A game that is a one-stop-shop has more people on-line playing, and pvp guilds love their farmers.I have gamed with old timers, and they will farm all day long, and love it.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2020
    Okay question:
    What do you mean with "pet"?
    Do you mean the typical hunter pet companion or a player pet?

There will be combat pets, that you get by taming certain Creatures in the open world, and you need a profession for that. Making a certain class be better at a certain job would skew the game balance tbh...
    There would also then be the summoner class, who would be just as adept at taming/controlling other beings after all.

Please read this entry in the wiki: www.ashesofcreation.wiki/pets
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    Taming creatures to be mounts or cosmetic pets i knew about but... battle pets?!
    Husbandry just got a lot more interesting
    Fooshyy wrote: »
    Taming creatures to be mounts or cosmetic pets i knew about but... battle pets?!
    Husbandry just got a lot more interesting

There will be most likely a Taming gathering profession, which then will be able to actually tame the creatures^^
    Animal Husbandry is then able to cross different tamed animals to look for certain traits.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope that pets don't die. Most of all I hope we don't have to feed pets like BDO, it's such a PITA!
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• There's pets in AoC.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm always a little bit nervous of "realistic" pet systems in games because it's far too easy to put in too much detail, to the point where it becomes a chore. Red dead redemption 2 had this problem where you ended up spending more time caring for your horse than actually playing the game.

Immersion is all well and good until it detracts from the core gameplay experience.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • I'm always a little bit nervous of "realistic" pet systems in games because it's far too easy to put in too much detail, to the point where it becomes a chore. Red dead redemption 2 had this problem where you ended up spending more time caring for your horse than actually playing the game.

Immersion is all well and good until it detracts from the core gameplay experience.

I agree with you, but initially, there should be a certain amount of time and effort. It could be someone else's game play obtaining mats, that way it doesn't distract other's who don't want to go through the hassle, and just pay for the mats for the upkeep.

There could be simple mats that are easily obtainable, cheap, and mats that would provide bonuses, for speed, endurance, stamina for the mounts. For pets used for fighting, other forms of mats could provide bonuses to abilities.

Rangers and all of the specialized Ranger classes should be the classes that can craft the bonus mats, when not found in the world.

Also, once the bonus mats are provided, the pets don't lose the bonuses. The pets could even have some alter effect when applied, looks of aggressiveness, a muscular body, or fat and dopey from eating cheap mats. Mats for longevity for longer living pets, and mats for resurrection of pets in battle when there are no cleric classes or Ranger classes around.

There could also be protective wards to prevent hostile players from killing the mounts, and companion pets. It all adds to the game play, having more usefulness using mats in the game world.

I am just giving some thought for the buddy I played Conan with, who was an old Vietnam vet, who enjoyed obtaining mats but couldn't pvp. He was a fantastic farmer. It opens up the game for young and old, alike.

• Damokles wrote: »
    Okay question:

There will be combat pets, that you get by taming certain Creatures in the open world, and you need a profession for that. Making a certain class be better at a certain job would skew the game balance tbh...
    There would also then be the summoner class, who would be just as adept at taming/controlling other beings after all.

Thanks for the info. I am new to the forum, and didn't read the wiki concerning pets. It sounds all good.

DCarp wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Okay question:

Thanks for the info. I am new to the forum, and didn't read the wiki concerning pets. It sounds all good.

No problem ;)
    Thats what the forums are for after all! :D
    Dont be shy to ask other question, most of us are always up to task at answering all kinds of questions as good as we can.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Okay question:

No problem ;)
    Dont be shy to ask other question, most of us are always up to task at answering all kinds of questions as good as we can.

Really? I thought forums were for pointlessly arguing about things we have no control over :p
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • PinkberryPinkberry Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would hate to have my pets or mounts grow old and die especially if i put a lot of hard work taming and breeding. Its more of a collection going on with the mounts and pets.
  • I hope the game doesn't force you to have pets to compete with other players >_>
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

Really? I thought forums were for pointlessly arguing about things we have no control over :p

I'm fairly sure that's what they are for.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

I'm just here because I want my badges
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    Star Wars Galaxies had the awesome Creature Tamer profession that had you find and tame baby animals, then raise them to be battle companions or mounts. It was awesome and epic. (If only they let us tame Wookiees but there was some asinine objection to “taming” other player characters.)

Then like everything else that was ever good in SWG they removed it. Stupid SOE.

Hhak63P.png
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

Don't you already have all the badges?
    k2U15J3.png
    Azryil wrote: »
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

I'm close to two more badges the 2500 likes and the 2500 comment ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

I don't use the like function much at all - anywhere - but I'll throw one towards this...
    Okay question:

No problem ;)

I don't use the like function much at all - anywhere - but I'll throw one towards this...

hahaha you don't need to but thank you ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Would like cosmetcs for pets like hats medallions barding auras breastplates,
    feathers. In real life dogs in sweaters look so . Guessing it would vary by animal type. Depending on animal tyoe but owls could have monocles and vests. Think making your pet look stylish be pretty cool for rangers. In real life there are certain people that trick out there pets with accessories, especialy dogs think in game version of this would be great.
    edited January 2020
    consultant wrote: »
    Would like cosmetcs for pets like hats medallions barding auras breastplates,
    feathers. In real life dogs in sweaters look so . Guessing it would vary by animal type. Depending on animal tyoe but owls could have monocles and vests. Think making your pet look stylish be pretty cool for rangers. In real life there are certain people that trick out there pets with accessories, especialy dogs think in game version of this would be great.

I now want a top hat for my zombie pet
    nJ0vUSm.gif

In real life there are certain people that trick out there pets with accessories, especialy dogs think in game version of this would be great.

Those people should probably be arrested for animal cruelty.
  • noaani wrote: »
    In real life there are certain people that trick out there pets with accessories, especialy dogs think in game version of this would be great.

Those people should probably be arrested for animal cruelty.

Well maybe they should be but seeing as how in game bears will not be hurt then maybe it is ok in video game. Personally do not have pets just to be CLEAR.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

There should be an emote for him to politely tip his hat but the top of his head comes off with it.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »

There should be an emote for him to politely tip his hat but the top of his head comes off with it.

I want it
    nJ0vUSm.gif