Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

No swimming allowed

sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Let's say you are in a sea battle and you lose and fall into the water. You can't just swim to shore because swimming uses up your stamina. When you reach zero stamina you swim real slow and start eating up health. If you don't reach shore before that runs out you die. This is my theory. What do you think?
fNX2ISa.png

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 2020
    If your ship is destroyed underneath you out in the middle of the ocean, and you are left unkilled, being able to swim with reasonable though not excessive speed would be important, I would think.

Edit; also, underwater content will hopefully be a thing.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will treading water cost stamina? If not, then there is your answer.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't expect swimming to expend more stamina than running.
    How far player characters can swim typically has more to do with how seamless the world is and the devs only partially rendering the world.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    How far player characters can swim typically has more to do with how seamless the world is and the devs only partially rendering the world.

If you can swim then you don't need an aquatic mount.
    fNX2ISa.png

• Options
    HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sunfrog wrote: »

I would assume an aquatic mount would just make you better on/under the water. Maybe they would do something like WoW with the deep water causing this where you would absolutely need an aquatic mount/ship to cross, but as someone said that’s mainly just used as a way to create an artificial barrier for a zoned world.

I gotta say, I can’t stop picturing a dwarf falling out of a ship and just flailing around in water trying to make its stubby arms and legs work as it just slowly sinks to the bottom of the ocean.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would rather have the mechanic that you don't die. Just have mounts that make you faster. I remember being able to swim in EQ across the ocean....it would take you hours, but you would survive. I also like the EQ2 mechanic where you level up swimming and become faster; but then, they didn't have water mounts.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

If you can walk, you don't need a horse!
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I would assume an aquatic mount would just make you better on/under the water. Maybe they would do something like WoW with the deep water causing this where you would absolutely need an aquatic mount/ship to cross, but as someone said that’s mainly just used as a way to create an artificial barrier for a zoned world.

I gotta say, I can’t stop picturing a dwarf falling out of a ship and just flailing around in water trying to make its stubby arms and legs work as it just slowly sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

The dwarf wouldn't flail around. He would just sink to the bottom and march to the shore. They don't take crap from anything.
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The dwarf wouldn't flail around. He would just sink to the bottom and march to the shore. They don't take crap from anything.

This is a stereotypical myth that I, as a member in good standing with the Society for Accuracy in Dünzenkell Details, would like to dispel;

Due to our superior lung-to-body-mass ratio we are actually much more buoyant than the more mundane stick-like figure body types. Hence, we are much less likely to sink even when full of our favorite beverages.

Thank you for your attention.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    But did you take into account the large amount of iron strapped to your body? :)
    That stuff is not very buoyant.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Morashtak wrote: »

This is a stereotypical myth that I, as a member in good standing with the Society for Accuracy in Dünzenkell Details, would like to dispel;

Due to our superior lung-to-body-mass ratio we are actually much more buoyant than the more mundane stick-like figure body types. Hence, we are much less likely to sink even when full of our favorite beverages.

Thank you for your attention.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

It is disappointing, that you as a dwarf forgott the higher dwarven muscle and bone density. This, in combination with your smaller size, leads to a non-buoyant body. A smaller surface in combination with a higher material density, leads to a sinking dwarf!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    KaselKasel Member, Founder
    All I want in terms of underwater content, are giant sea monsters. It's the scariest thing ever for me, and I want to battle this fear in AoC damnit.
  • Options
    RefletReflet Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    What about the "swimming in armor" thing???

I know we are in a magical world... but still... it's already hard to swim in regular clothes, even more in a thick wizard dress, so swimming in a heavy plate armor is unthinkable.
    Having this kind of trouble in mind could play it's roll in the naval content!

Either the player wear leather or cloth armor, and can expect to swim if need be.
    Or wear heavy armor to get less damages in naval combat, but run the risk of sinking in the event of falling from the ship or if this one is destroyed.

...choices have to be made!!
    ;)
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    Reflet wrote: »
    What about the "swimming in armor" thing???

I know we are in a magical world... but still... it's already hard to swim in regular clothes, even more in a thick wizard dress, so swimming in a heavy plate armor is unthinkable.
    Having this kind of trouble in mind could play it's roll in the naval content!

Either the player wear leather or cloth armor, and can expect to swim if need be.
    Or wear heavy armor to get less damages in naval combat, but run the risk of sinking in the event of falling from the ship or if this one is destroyed.

...choices have to be made!!
    ;)

But wouldn't you technically get weighed down by walking as well then? Imagine having a backpack on filled with armor pieces, mounts, crafting materials, etc. It wouldn't be easy to walk around with. I think there's room for things to be unrealistic in this regard as to not take the fun away from walking/swimming around.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Its a skeletons life for me

ColossalJubilantCaracal-size_restricted.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

If you can walk, you don't need a horse!

You can't walk. That's why you fall through the mountains. :)
    fNX2ISa.png