Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Other level equalization possibility

The dev discussion show that the community is split between need or not of the lvl equalization.

And I'm kind of split myself.
In the first place i thought it was needed because of the way civilisation attract monster.
But in the others hand there are area in nodes with more danger or less .
So for the purposes of having low and high players in the same place , IS designing work already.
But it won't prevent high lvl players to wipe a low mob area.
And take of the fun if grouping with high lvl...

What if instead of decreasing high lvl player to the content. We rise the mob to the player ?

I got a idea that I'd like to discuss.
What if there was a death cry that agro the same kind of mob within a area base on how fast it as been killed , faster you kill it wider the cry go.
And those mobs that have been agro are grouped and got a buff base on there numbers.
More they are better the buff is .

Personally i think it's a interesting mechanic but i may not thought of some problems it will create.

Comments

• RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited February 2020
    Gimlog wrote: »
    But it won't prevent high lvl players to wipe a low mob area.
    And take of the fun if grouping with high lvl...

These minor things already have very simple solutions. You can just find another area and find other people to group with so that you will have fun.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What if there was a death cry that agro the same kind of mob within a area base on how fast it as been killed , faster you kill it wider the cry go.
    And those mobs that have been agro are grouped and got a buff base on there numbers.

This could have some unintended consequences. If they implemented this I could see groups of high level players staying in low level areas, 1-shotting a single low level mob just to bring hordes of other low level mobs to them for the slaughter. This would have a huge effect on both the in-game economy (you could flood the markets with low level mats using this method), as well as node progression. Also depending on how exp gains are split for groups, players could potentially use this as a way to boost low level players, or even strong-arm newer players into using their services.

I'm not saying these are good or bad things, but I think it's important to understand the consequences of gameplay decisions such as this.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Yeah i do understand, but adjustments could be done to prevent those kind of unwilling consequences.

Like bind the loot table and the xp on the whole group of mob , it could decreases the % of drop and rising the rarity of it or event open a new loot table related at a group of mod.
    Xp could be decreasing the more mob there are .
    The purpose of the mechanic could be only a access to the new loot table and a challenge/a threat.
    Killing low lvl mobs wouldn't be about pressing 1 ability but thinking of a wait to kill it in the good timing to not aggro other mobs.
    I think could be interesting.
    I'm all ears if there other problems i didn't thought.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My issue with this kind of thing is that it makes no sense.

Almost all sentient beings would fall in to two categories for this situation. You have those that see you kill one of their kind and don't much care, and you have those that see you one shot one of their kind and so opt to not take you on.

It makes no real sense that if you swing and instantly kill anything, that more of those same things are then going to attack you rather than run away.

The *ONLY* time I can see this working is with animals that have a hive mentality of some form, where the individual is happy to die for the good of the group.

A mechanic like this would be amazing in a situation like that (and game designers are free to list all manner of fantasy creatures or humanoids as being hive minded), but if it is only used in situations like this where it makes perfect sense to use it, it won't be fulfilling the role that the OP intended.

Personally, I don't see the need for any kind of content equalization at all anyway.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah i do understand, but adjustments could be done to prevent those kind of unwilling consequences.

Like bind the loot table and the xp on the whole group of mob , it could decreases the % of drop and rising the rarity of it or event open a new loot table related at a group of mod.
    Xp could be decreasing the more mob there are .
    The purpose of the mechanic could be only a access to the new loot table and a challenge/a threat.
    Killing low lvl mobs wouldn't be about pressing 1 ability but thinking of a wait to kill it in the good timing to not aggro other mobs.
    I think could be interesting.
    I'm all ears if there other problems i didn't thought.

Right, before we get into the adjustments to make your system work I just want to take a step back for a moment here. What is the goal of your original idea? As in what problem is it supposed to fix? From what I understand it's to stop high level players from taking low level mobs from low level players. With that in mind I have some follow up questions:

1. Is this problem likely to happen? Are high level players likely to spend a lot of time killing low level mobs?
    2. If high level players spend a lot of time killing low level mobs, is this a bad thing?
    3. Will your proposed system actually stop high level players from killing low level mobs?

It's very easy to get caught up in making a new system work that you lose track of what the system was originally designed to accomplish. Now, in my experience unless high level players need the low level materials for a specific purpose, they won't bother killing low level mobs. It's not worth their time. Oh sure they might occasionally kill a few as they go through an area but they won't do it enough to deny the low level players.

Of course, this applies to most players, but not all. There are of course players who will farm low level mobs just to deny them from low level players. These trolls are the same kind of players who will happily spawn-camp low level players just for the fun of it. They don't care about the lack of rewards or exp from what they are doing, they just want to make people's lives as miserable as possible. While your proposed system might deter these types of players, it might also give them even more destructive ways of grieving lowbies. Fortunately trolls like this are pretty rare and I doubt they will be much of a problem in a game with no cross-realm technology to hide behind.
    volunteer_moderator.gif