Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

more cultures - suggestion

afarafar Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
Hi! So first, I want to apologise if this is a wrong place to share this idea, or if posts like these were already posted.

I'm a backer following aoc from even before kickstarter. I absolutely love AOC concepts and ideas, but there is that one thing that is bothering me.
So, to keep it short. We have races right now that have following influences: german, french, english, jewish, arab, indian, american, roman, greek, celtic, american indian, fantasy, "mainstream" japanese (not ainu or ryukyuan), aztec, mayan, incan, norse, helvetic, polynesian, and i don't know what types of buildings Tulnar will build, because most likely they won't be restricted to underground.

What we don't really have - babylonian, hun, egyptian, chinese.

Because you probably won't introduce new races like goblin, i thought that you could just make missing races as different tulnar animals, because why not? Every tulnar animal could have different buildings. And different culture, maybe even despise other cultures.
So babylonians could be cats/lions, chinese could be dragons/reptiles, huns could be mosquitoes/insects and egyptians could be dogs (anubis like)/wolves

What do you think about it?

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2020
    I think Tulnar and their existing lore snippets are going to be hard enough for them to pull off as a single race, much less trying to give every kitsune weeb their own special looking house. There is a caste system in place that they have to come up with and many other things. They were a Kickstarter stretch goal and last thing we need already being a yearish "behind schedule" is more scopecreep.
    scopecreep.png

south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2020
    afar wrote: »
    Hi! So first, I want to apologise if this is a wrong place to share this idea, or if posts like these were already posted.

I'm a backer following aoc from even before kickstarter. I absolutely love AOC concepts and ideas, but there is that one thing that is bothering me.
    So, to keep it short. We have races right now that have following influences: german, french, english, jewish, arab, indian, american, roman, greek, celtic, american indian, fantasy, "mainstream" japanese (not ainu or ryukyuan), aztec, mayan, incan, norse, helvetic, polynesian, and i don't know what types of buildings Tulnar will build, because most likely they won't be restricted to underground.

What we don't really have - babylonian, hun, egyptian, chinese.

Because you probably won't introduce new races like goblin, i thought that you could just make missing races as different tulnar animals, because why not? Every tulnar animal could have different buildings. And different culture, maybe even despise other cultures.
    So babylonians could be cats/lions, chinese could be dragons/reptiles, huns could be mosquitoes/insects and egyptians could be dogs (anubis like)/wolves

You listed 18 that have influnces present in Ashes concept art so far, and 4 that aren't.

Isn't 18 out of 22 good enough?

And don't forget, this is an MMO, MOM's are somewhat well known for adding new content after the game goes live. If they use up every source of insperation before launch, what does that leave for post launch (post adding kickstarter stretch goal, really) content?

Edit; I have a few Samoan and Tongan friends that take offence at having their cultures lumped in as a generic "Polynesian" culture. That is a bit like lumping all of Europe together as a single culture.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited February 2020
    @afar I'm trying to think of the races, buildings, and clothing we've seen so far - where are the indian, american indian, norse (do you mean the runes?), and jewish influences?

About your suggestion, I think the lore of Verra should drive what influences it takes from Earth. If there aren't cultures in Verra that resemble Egyptian, Chinese, etc., then there's no reason to insert them.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    *cough* *cough* *clears throat*

*deep breath*
    THERE-THERE SHALL ONLY BE THE VERMINTIDE! SKAVEN WILL EAT-TEAR APART ALL THOSE THAT OPPOSE-THREATEN US! WE WILL CLAW-KILL ALL THE MAN-THINGS, DWARF-THINGS AND ELF-THINGS!

Okay, now that this is out of the way...
    We have:
    Kaela - european medieval influence (french, german, italian)
    Vaelune - Arabian, Persian

Dünir - typical dwarven buildings, norse influence
    Niküa - maori/polynesian

Ren'kai - asian influences
    Vek - south american influence (mayan, aztec etc)

Empyrean - typical high elven architecture (tall, thin towers; gracefull halls etc)
    Py'rai - typical forrest elven architecture (one with the forrest yadda-yadda)

What i would like to see for Tulnar:
    Babylonian, ancient native american, capadocian stile
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »

*deep breath*
    THERE-THERE SHALL ONLY BE THE VERMINTIDE! SKAVEN WILL EAT-TEAR APART ALL THOSE THAT OPPOSE-THREATEN US! WE WILL CLAW-KILL ALL THE MAN-THINGS, DWARF-THINGS AND ELF-THINGS!

DIE VERMIN!

Nagash-Lord-of-the-Undead.jpg

nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2020
    I think the roster of cultures in Ashes seem fine as is. They shouldn't just add different cultures for the sake of having as many as possible. Like @Ravudha said, if the cultures simply do not fit into the world, then there's no reason to force them in there.
  • Options
    afarafar Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Ravudha wrote: »
    @afar I'm trying to think of the races, buildings, and clothing we've seen so far - where are the indian, american indian, norse (do you mean the runes?), and jewish influences?

About your suggestion, I think the lore of Verra should drive what influences it takes from Earth. If there aren't cultures in Verra that resemble Egyptian, Chinese, etc., then there's no reason to insert them.

The only metropolis we seen in ashes was Vaelune, and it has those round tower tops which are pretty much indian (taj mahal for example but not only).
    Vaelunes' trade, law, hardship, kill or be killed and desert born sound very much like Jews, other semites too but not as much.
    American indian are py'rai, at least according to looks and clothes (it even is on aoc wiki).
    Norse, or Nordic is what Dunir are based of

I'd REALLY love to see huns/magyar influence there. You know, horse riders, horse archers, camps and all that stuff :)

About those weebs unknowsystemerror said, that's what i'm afraid of. I would "sacrifice" one race (wolves for example) to furries, and live in a perfectly fine village of mosquito people :)

Do you think that reptile tulnar and wolf tulnar will live in the same buildings anyway? Because there WILL be at least reptile tulnar and wolf tulnar. We can use it to introduce new cultures. We have skins, many skins for weapons, skins for gryphons in apoc, it is not impossible to do different buildings for different Tulnars. We already have 8 different races. Count skins for all of these, now 4 more doesn't sound unlikely to do. Every month we got new concept art building and armor (and more),, concept arts and models aren't THAT hard :)

Also every animal could have their own three words motto (like honor, power, tranquillity). Because, again, reptiles are rather different than lions

I really don't want to get all tulnars categorized as furries, even if they won't be furries per se, many of their playerbase will. Also ren'kai player base because "otaku"

I'd really want to save it :)
  • Options
    HartwellHartwell Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It might make an interesting game expansion to include different cultural influences into armor, character customization options, furniture, and more. Lets save some for later.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited February 2020
    The only metropolis we seen in ashes was Vaelune, and it has those round tower tops which are pretty much indian (taj mahal for example but not only).
    Vaelunes' trade, law, hardship, kill or be killed and desert born sound very much like Jews, other semites too but not as much.
    American indian are py'rai, at least according to looks and clothes (it even is on aoc wiki).
    Norse, or Nordic is what Dunir are based of

Ah yeah I think I remember the Navajo reference for Py'rai now.

The domes, the round tower tops, are also featured in middle-eastern architecture. The Taj Mahal is Mughal architecture, which is influenced by various middle eastern architecture styles, so I'd say that's more of a coincidence.

Wasn't sure about the Dunir. When I think Nordic I think steep roofs, but I could totally see the Dunir with a Nordic mindset of being tough, stoic survivors in harsh climates. Makes sense.

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

*deep breath*

DIE VERMIN!

The nobel Seraphon will join you in the extermination of these vermin.

david-escribano-herrero-cover-f2.jpg?1520533495
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Irish isn't on the list...

But we have Taverns so covered
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options

*deep breath*

DIE VERMIN!

Scaly-things be mean-dumb. Ska-Skaven will enjoy-love ripping YOU ALL APART YES-YES!

5347cfc4e2fab05b86415b00e0f54569.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One

*deep breath*

DIE VERMIN!

Scaly-things be mean-dumb. Ska-Skaven will enjoy-love ripping YOU ALL APART YES-YES!

5347cfc4e2fab05b86415b00e0f54569.jpg

"At the time of the three hundredth cycle of this world, the two moons shall unite and summon forth the Rodent God and his evil spawn to deliver plague and pestilence upon the land named Lustria" - Prophecy of Sotek.

We have driven you from Lustria before, and we shall do so again Vermin!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Sorry but I have to agree with a lot of the comments here, I think that the amount of races and real life influence is pretty much well for the start of the game and im gonna go one more step further and say that I hope IS don't add more than 3 more races OR subraces to the game , it's like spread butter in too much bread, it looses the taste and becomes irrelevant

I saw some comments talking about how they put some culture reference together and how it is wrong at some level, and I could agree IF this was a game trying to resemble real world, since they are doing this with all the races I don't see the big deal with this.

To end this comments I have to say that, for some reason I really can't explain, I hope the Tulnar have some egyptian influence...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Chezshire wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to agree with a lot of the comments here, I think that the amount of races and real life influence is pretty much well for the start of the game and im gonna go one more step further and say that I hope IS don't add more than 3 more races OR subraces to the game , it's like spread butter in too much bread, it looses the taste and becomes irrelevant

I saw some comments talking about how they put some culture reference together and how it is wrong at some level, and I could agree IF this was a game trying to resemble real world, since they are doing this with all the races I don't see the big deal with this.

To end this comments I have to say that, for some reason I really can't explain, I hope the Tulnar have some egyptian influence...

The only Egyptians should be undead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only Egyptians should be undead
    They have to have been alive at sooooome point. haha

• Options
    voidshadowvoidshadow Member
    edited February 2020

Because you probably won't introduce new races like goblin,

Goblins need to be a race. I need to walk into a goblin node dressed like goblin slayer and scream who's next?

Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    voidshadow wrote: »

Goblins need to be a race. I need to walk into a goblin node dressed like goblin slayer and scream who's next?

29f.jpg
    flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    voidshadow wrote: »

871.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited February 2020
    When there's only one goblin left

Also how do you post images? The thing isnt letting me so i just posted the link instead

e6e148aea97350a968c9130691b32140208ac67d_hq.gif
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    click the little picture icon in the bar and post your image link there
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Thanks