Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Types of Housing

Hello Everyone!

I hope that you are all having a wonderful day.

I wanted to take a moment to create a post asking you guys what types of housing styles/assets you would like to see implemented in the Ashes of Creation MMO. I know that personally, my all time favorite housing system was that of Everquest II, where each capital city had a very unique aesthetic that felt like a fantasy abode. I know that the cultural aspects of the individual races in AoC is a main focus of Steven and the rest of the devs, so I am very hopeful for an amazing experience.

So, what do you guys want to see architecturally or otherwise from the AoC housing system? I have my fingers crossed for something similar to the acorn houses from Kelethin or the cliffside/cavernous homes that they had in the lizard-people race that I can't remember the names of.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I just found my favourite housing this month in the shop tbh. xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Structurally I want to see variance. I don't want to see the same 5 freeholds in every node. I don't care if it is eastern, western, high elven, dwarven, primitive... doesn't matter to me what era / style so long as the freehold feels realistic in the world / region it is located in.

What I would like to see most with freeholds is aesthetics. I would want it to feel alive, not just a hunk of wood and stone waiting for patrons to show up. If your freehold was a tavern/inn: is there a ledger behind the counter that the owner can peruse to see sales transactions? Are the NPCs hire-able & customizable? Can I have little chickens roaming outside or a lazy cat or two snuggled up next to the hearth? I think little assets like these will make freeholds much more desirable and utilized.
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Of all the games I've played, most did not have housing, but of those that did, EQ2 definitely has the best.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2020
    cliffside/cavernous homes that they had in the lizard-people race that I can't remember the names of.
    Sarnak is the race you are looking for here, I believe.
    T Elf wrote: »
    Of all the games I've played, most did not have housing, but of those that did, EQ2 definitely has the best.
    EQ2 had the best interiors by a mile - no other game even comes close. As good as it is though, I like Archeages system for the houses themselves, exclusing the concept of housing zones.

I like the idea of having to actually build my house myself, and being able to decide what building I want on my land.

If Ashes can capture the best aspects of both systems, the game would hardly even need anything else for a large number of people to be satisfied.
  • Options
    The thing I found when I did AA in Alpha and after Launch was you almost had to log in daily or you would lose stuff like your harvests, and you could lose your house if you were gone for like a week.

In EQ2 you never lose your house or items.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    The thing I found when I did AA in Alpha and after Launch was you almost had to log in daily or you would lose stuff like your harvests, and you could lose your house if you were gone for like a week.

In EQ2 you never lose your house or items.

Having to log in daily for harvests was a result of the games farming system, not the housing system.. They are closely linked, but are different systems. I'm hoping Ashes has a farming system that closely resembles that of Archeage (though maybe without the tedium of planting 500+ plants a day individually).

Archeage implemented a system where you could be away for 4 weeks without losing your house, which is long enough imo. If you did lose your house, you wouldn't lose items, as they were mailed to you.

Losing your house will absolutely be a thing in Ashes as well.
  • Options
    Losing your *location* will be in Ashes, you won't lose your house per se, but you will have to rebuild with some more resources.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    Losing your *location* will be in Ashes, you won't lose your house per se, but you will have to rebuild with some more resources.

Well, that is the same as happened in Archeage. You lose your location, but nothing else, and had to rebuild in another location.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    In the case of AA there were no other locations...at least when I was there.
    Still prefer EQ2 where you don't lose your house at all, or it's location, and all you have to do is pay your rent, and if you don't it's always there for when you do. You can relocate at a push of button, and those locations will always be there. You can also own several houses all over.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    I mean, that's an overly user friendly system, but it only works in a game with instanced housing.

Since housing won't be instanced in Ashes, that aspect of EQ2s housing simply can't be replicated.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    I mean, that's an overly user friendly system, but it only works in a game with instanced housing.

Since housing won't be instanced in Ashes, that aspect of EQ2s housing simply can't be replicated.

There is instanced housing in Ashes.

https://ashesofcreation.fandom.com/wiki/Housing

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_housing
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be the instanced apartments if that option is chosen by the node. But being able to move them as you choose will not be a thing since housing is based on citizenship and there is a lengthy cooldown planned so that people can't just swap constantly to gain advantage in things like sieges and elections.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I would want it to feel alive, not just a hunk of wood and stone waiting for patrons to show up. If your freehold was a tavern/inn: is there a ledger behind the counter that the owner can peruse to see sales transactions? Are the NPCs hire-able & customizable? Can I have little chickens roaming outside or a lazy cat or two snuggled up next to the hearth? I think little assets like these will make freeholds much more desirable and utilized.

I love this idea. I'm wondering if we would be able to build an isolated mage tower in a forest miles outside of a town/city/metropolis, or if we will have to build defenses to protect any NPCs that might be present in our freehold. Will we hire guards? Can we cast wards and set traps?

So much potential from what the devs describe.

Regardless, I will be happy with it. It has been so long since a game (That I have been interested in) has implemented player housing.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dunno if it will be possible with freeholds, but I like the aesthetic of buildings jutting out from mountains or cliffsides. Imagine you find a nice nook or cave and carve it out a little bit, and build one or two walls on the outside, but the mountain itself forms the other walls.

Maaaybe it could be possible to place a "cave freehold" on a mountain that actually changes the geometry of the terrain so your abode fits into it, but I doubt it'll happen.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    consultantconsultant Member
    edited February 2020
    Well traditional keeps that look like fortifications sound nice. Cave free holds on side of mountains or valcanoe sounds really good too.

In real life the germans have figured out a way to grow a hollow tree and put a small two story apartment inside it cost at that time one million dollars and seven years to grow be great if Ashes of Creation could do this in game. Kind of like the keebler elves. Would be great Pick for forests setting.

Was also thiking about living in giant mushrooms kind of like the Smurfs except those guys were pretty small.

Another idea is were there is a small hill were you could make a cave entrance that leads underground kind of like a basement but more nature based.

in the Dragonlance world Elves would live in trees but high up in the air. And there were rope bridges connecting one tree to another making a tree community. Think they said so well camouflaged that could not be seen from the ground.

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @leonerdo They have pretty much said that you will not be affecting the terrain in that way.
    75caa1372543a4884ff3ef355137b5b9.png
  • Options
    BraneGames wrote: »

Sometimes posting on a phone is a bad idea, as you only type out a portion of the thought you want to pass on.

The system that T Elf talked about simply can't work in Ashes, which was my point. Non-instanced housing can't be permanant (and the majority of housing in Ashes will be non-instanced). Additionally, even instanced housing isn't permanant, as the node could be sieged.

Because of this, the way housing is done in EQ2 simply won't work in Ashes (even if I personally wish it would, I've said in this thread already that they have done housing better than any other game).

The very notion of setting up a house and it always being there (a cornerstone of EQ2's housing system) simply can not work in a game where the town you set your house up may not be there in the future.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2020

Sometimes posting on a phone is a bad idea, as you only type out a portion of the thought you want to pass on.

The system that T Elf talked about simply can't work in Ashes, which was my point. Non-instanced housing can't be permanant (and the majority of housing in Ashes will be non-instanced). Additionally, even instanced housing isn't permanant, as the node could be sieged.

Because of this, the way housing is done in EQ2 simply won't work in Ashes (even if I personally wish it would, I've said in this thread already that they have done housing better than any other game).

The very notion of setting up a house and it always being there (a cornerstone of EQ2's housing system) simply can not work in a game where the town you set your house up may not be there in the future.

Fair enough. I merely wanted to correct as some housing in Ashes will in fact be instaced
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Losing your housing will be a pita. But it won't be a wipe as some above seem to think. Just move to next location and put down the template.
    eb0b3e89c124ed53f14ab29b52c200b1.png
    0924d5e79b9229f03f05e3ee30bd0abb.png
  • Options
    Yes, I realize that the permanence of EQ2 housing will not be there in Ashes; what I don't want to see is the loss experienced in early AA that forces you to have log in every day and if you miss logging in you experience a detriment.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options

Fair enough. I merely wanted to correct as some housing in Ashes will in fact be instaced

All good, I am all about potential misinformation being corrected - even if it is someone simply mis-speaking.
  • Options
    Yes, I realize that the permanence of EQ2 housing will not be there in Ashes; what I don't want to see is the loss experienced in early AA that forces you to have log in every day and if you miss logging in you experience a detriment.

I agree - harvesting in AA felt similar to daily quests in some MMO's.

I want the AA farming system (honestly, it is fun over all). The option to hire an NPC to harvest a crop when it's ready seems like the easy way to make this worh though.