City suggestion

unleashesunleashes Member
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
I would like to suggest a new city type: Micro Economy.
Citizens will have to buy the leadership then they will vote for their leader.
The mayor will be choosen by paying and voting, mixed version of Science&Economy.
Bonus will be the capability of trading with only Economic cities.
Their caravans are lighter and faster when trading with Economic cities.
Disadvantage: their buildings and city defense will be slightly weaker than others.

Comments

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    That would introduce RNG into the politics and that is something Intrepid does not want.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    If you edit your OP, following comments won't make sense. Feedback is a wonderful thing, but since the mechanics that Intrepid are going with require a single mayor doubt you will see that. Also opens the can of worms as to who gets to ride the royal mount at metropolis level. They have spent a lot of time working on the world map and placing the various node types where they will balance and probably for lore reasons.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    unleashes wrote: »
    I would like to suggest a new city type: Intelligence city.
    A city ruled by double governor, chairman and co-chairman.
    Bonus of this city may be spying capability on other cities.

Gotta quote you now since you juked me on your first post about the "lucky" person

Instead of throwing random shit suggestions, you should probably look into the other Nodes. This is clearly an off the cuff idea since you put out a bad one, got a response, edited it, and posted a worse one.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would like to suggest a new city type: Intelligence city.
    A city ruled by double governor, chairman and co-chairman.
    Bonus of this city may be spying capability on other cities.
    What is the purpose of a dual ruler system? If there is no actual purpose to having it, why have it?

What advantage does spying confer to your node? What exactly is it you are looking at when you are spying on another node?

Having ideas is easy. Having ideas that have a point is harder.

As to your pre-edit idea of a luck based node type, nope.

If you set up yourself as a crafter in a node, and the setup you have requires the node maintain a specific building (or group of buildings), you don't want to have your entire industry ruined because some random player got lucky, became mayor and decided he wants a stable instead of a smelter.

Nodes are going to be important to players. As such, players need to have a real say in who is leading their node.

Players of all node types will campaign based on what they want to do with the node - building types they want to build, etc. In all four existing node types, the citizens of that node then have the ability to have an amount of influence as to who will be the mayor for the following month;
    In scientific nodes, players get an outright vote.
    In economic nodes, players can buy governments.
    In military nodes, players wanting a specific candidate to win can fight with/for that player in the arena.
    In religious nodes, players can (presumably, to be fair) assist the candadite they want in completing quests.

If luck is the factor that determines who is in charge, no one has any influence - which would be very bad.

All of this is ignoring the notion of people placing less value in something they are given for free (you want your leaders to value that position), and also forgetting the possibility of rival nodes being easily able to take control.

All of this adds up to a node that people simply wouldn't want to invest any time in to, and so these nodes would never make it past stage 2 or 3. if a node type wouldn't be used, it isn't worth having in the game.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Actually what he seems to be describing sounds more like the Thieves society instead of a city.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• CorpierCorpier Member
    edited March 2020
    Is this the 3rd or 4th time OP has changed their title and first post? I can't tell if they are trolling or serious at this point.

Either way, stop just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. The four node types are enough and they each cover specific game elements. Military is for pvp. Religious is for questing/lore. Economic is for trading. Scientific is for crafting. Each node doesn't just fill a niche, but covers a whole type of gameplay. If you want to even suggest a new type it would need to fit the current pattern at least, which means filling a void for a playstyle the others do not cover, and needs to offer something of value to the game's core philosophies and existing mechanics to even be considered.

Edit: Okay, they are for sure trolling at this point. The ERP city suggestion confirms it.
  • this is not a bad idea..

I could also be a hideout/home for corruption players only..
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to suggest a new city type: Independent city.
    Ruled by citizens, every actions of the governor must be voted.
    Bonus of this city will be the neutrality, immunity.
    They can only be attacked in some limited cases.
    Disadvantage is their caravans run slower than others.

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    T Elf wrote: »
    Actually what he seems to be describing sounds more like the Thieves society instead of a city.

I was thinking the same thing it basically sounds like riften
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2020
    While i'm sure there will be some vassals that get pissed at their patron city, I'd like to think most of the time it'll operate more like a country. If you live in a military city chained to a scientific metro, sure, you'd love to have your city be the capital, especially if you have put alot in, but you also get some teleporting, and maybe there's another scientific across the world that you get a nice airship journey to. Being a vassal does have perks after all. I feel like most fights will be between the metro "countries" trying to know their neighbors down a few pegs, picking at their towns and cities to weaken node exp flow.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to suggest a new city type: Magical city.
    Only a Voyager Plus Pre-Order Pack holder can be the mayor.
    If there is more than one, earlier registered citizen gets the job.
    Bonus will be a magical dome protecting the city.
    When city attacked dome should be destroyed first.
    Disadvantage: their caravans are weaker and more vulnerable to attacks.

Your ideas are getting more and more ridiculous.
    k2U15J3.png
  • PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @unleashes Dude, stop editing your post to completely change it. I don't know if you've never used an internet forum before, but the edit function is only to fix typos/formatting or to add something, not delete or rewrite entire posts. If you wanna make more suggestions, put it in a new comment/reply (at the bottom of the page), and continue the discussion.

Regarding the "Magical City", restricting the mayor to people who paid more for pre-order package is a form of Pay-2-Win, which this game and this community is heavily against. Also, I don't think city types have overt disadvantages; they just have some special abilities or tools, and everything else about it is normal.

Magical domes are cool though. They could be an expensive, powerful option for defending large node sieges (probably locked behind a specific quest chain for a Mages' Guild or something).
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2020
    City suggestion: Corruption
    Requirements for citizenship - Citizens have to possess some kind of Corruption level
    Poyitive Effects - guards will not attack people with corruption, offers quests to temporarely negate the stat and damage suppression experienced by corrupted players, will automatically spawn npcs that attack nearby caravans
    Negative Effect - trade is dependent on loot from attacked caravans, corrupted node is automatically at war with ALL other nodes

There can only be ONE corrupted node per server, if corrupted node is destroyed a new one will spawn randomly.

I was thinking about what nodes we dont have already, and this was the only one that came to mind tbh xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would like to suggest a new city type: ERP city.
    Prospective citizens will have to ERP with other citizens in order to gain citizenship.
    The mayor will be choosen by voting, most voters voting for the candidate with the best E in their ERP game.
    Bonus will be the capability to use webcams directly in game.
    Disadvantage: the will never get any content cleared.
    Dude...

Wow...
  • I would like to suggest a new city type: Charade city
    you cant use text or voice chat in the city, they're disabled, you character can only communicate with emoticons and magic based class cant cast spell due the lack of voice for the spell chanting
    Bards and bard base classes are banned from the city :D
    giphy.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want a city of the dead that only happens when you raise a node
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    I want a city of the dead that only happens when you raise a node

Full 40 man necromancer team raising a node from the Ashes?! Count me in!
  • PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Requirements for citizenship - Citizens have to possess some kind of Corruption level
    Poyitive Effects - guards will not attack people with corruption, offers quests to temporarely negate the stat and damage suppression experienced by corrupted players, will automatically spawn npcs that attack nearby caravans
    Negative Effect - trade is dependent on loot from attacked caravans, corrupted node is automatically at war with ALL other nodes

There can only be ONE corrupted node per server, if corrupted node is destroyed a new one will spawn randomly.

A corrupted city of vagabonds sounds cool. But I wonder if you can achieve similar effects by just advancing a Military node and starting a lot of wars with neighboring nodes. Or by making an ad-hoc village of freeholds with other corrupted players.

Imagine a bunch of anarchist players trying to spite the Node system itself by making their own city with freeholds.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    leonerdo wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »

A corrupted city of vagabonds sounds cool. But I wonder if you can achieve similar effects by just advancing a Military node and starting a lot of wars with neighboring nodes. Or by making an ad-hoc village of freeholds with other corrupted players.

Imagine a bunch of anarchist players trying to spite the Node system itself by making their own city with freeholds.

I always imagined the military nodes to be extremely focused on "sanctioned" PvP if you know what i mean.
    They should be able to do something similar, but the corrupted node should depend on the taken caravans for its internal trade.
    a6XEiIf.gif