Bard class idea

DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
Hello everyone Damokles here again!
Okay, the Bard/Summoner class is called Songcaller right?
I got an interesting idea today on my way home:
"Ordinary bards put their own souls into their creations, I found a way to put the souls of others into mine! My stories are so epic, that they inspire the souls of long dead heroes to reenact them in our world. My voice is so smooth, that the deceased will listen to my sirens song!"
Intrepid said something about Bards not only relying on music instruments but also on telling stories and inspiring their comrads by their deeds.
Why cant a bard summon the ghosts of the dead to fight for him?
a6XEiIf.gif

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tbh, i just wanted to throw this in here. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I'm really curious on how the summoner augments will work - whether they actually summon things or make the effects of the main class some kind of autonomous summon, or something else.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yea, I've wondered that as well. We know it probably won't be as elaborate a summon as what the summoner has but I could see some skills creating something that persists for a short period of time.

The two things we have heard about the summoner is the class summons things and is supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades. A lot of the time we focus on the summoning part but I haven't seen much talk about the jack-of-all-trades component of the class. I'd think it is supposed to give some flexibility to the primary class and am curious how.

If I was going to look at the jack of all trades component of the class for the summoner and how it could relate to the bard. I could see it going in a few directions. Either you buffs skills create something to emanate them (like a totem), freeing up the bard to do other actions or serving another role (which sounds really strong but fits the name "songcaller") or the bard's buffs summoning a bonus effect, possibly something that only benefits the bard.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Any info on the summoner would be great
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • TamaelTamael Member
    edited March 2020
    Ye, i like the part about dead beings, But the title Songcaller does not suit it.

*edit: Songhailer, Songciter is a better option for the theme you are going for.
    He had existed for a long time and was fluent in many languages. Most of them...Dead ones. Ohhh... don't mind my friend in the cage.
    Tamael wrote: »
    Ye, i like the part about dead beings, But the title Songcaller does not suit it.

*edit: Songhailer, Songciter is a better option for the theme you are going for.

Well... ha calls them forth with the power of his songs doesnt he?
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    edited March 2020
    Oh oh oh!!!
    How about summon ethereal instruments that can play for themselves and give extra effectiveness to the buffs and debuffs
    Or maybe combine them,
    Whoaaaaaa!!!! And the ultimate ability could be called
    ORCHESTRA
    It summons one instrument per ability and gives all the buffs to the party at the same time having the special stacking cap !!!
    giphy.gif
    Chezshire wrote: »
    Oh oh oh!!!
    How about summon ethereal instruments that can play for themselves and give extra effectiveness to the buffs and debuffs
    Or maybe combine them,
    ORCHESTRA
    It summons one instrument per ability and gives all the buffs to the party at the same time having the special stacking cap !!!

Why do so many Bard players want instrumental skills? :/
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited March 2020
    Another idea for bard skill design:
    How about them having to channel their big skills, with certain class combinations being able to move and attack, while others get access to new abilities during the channel.

I would love to yell the "Litany of Fear" at my enemies as a Siren. xD

A Songwarden for example could project a sonic wall, while singing a song, which would protect those around him from projectiles.
    A Soul Weaver could sing a Hymn to enhance allies in multiple ways, and maybe even get some new skils for a short duration (like the Grenth mode for Necros in GW2)

Litany of Fear:
    "I will not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    I will let it pass through me.
    When the fear has gone,
    there shall be nothing.
    Only I will remain."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYF7tcvNPLg

(Not the original, but i like this version more)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Chezshire wrote: »
    Oh oh oh!!!
    Or maybe combine them,
    ORCHESTRA

Why do so many Bard players want instrumental skills? :/

Uuhhh...cause we like it?...
    giphy.gif
    cleric_of_metal.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I originally misread the thread title as “bad class idea” and thought that was a refreshing bit of honesty on the forums. Oh well.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    I originally misread the thread title as “bad class idea” and thought that was a refreshing bit of honesty on the forums. Oh well.

hahaha well bards are bad classes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• IshkaIshka Member
    The only way I can see a bard summon undeads or creatures with his voice, is by singing like this :

For sure I would follow such skillful bard into the hardest battles for the rest of my life.
    edited March 2020
    Atama wrote: »

Damn you Atama, you with your hip and cool post ideas!
    300px-Nice_gai.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • IshkaIshka Member
    edited March 2020
    Well, this kinda a random idea since I am not into those kinds of classes, but as a horizontal progression, wouldn't it be intresting that as a bard that wanders in Verra, that you can somehow learn "local songs" with a questline, and such songs have different effects, not something broken of course, but for example if you learn the traditional chants of the Vaelune, maybe it could interact with the desert environment etc... That was the kind of ideas I had.
    Ishka wrote: »
    Well, this kinda a random idea since I am not into those kinds of classes, but as a horizontal progression, wouldn't it be intresting that as a bard that wanders in Verra, that you can somehow learn "local songs" with a questline, and such songs have different effects, not something broken of course, but for example if you learn the traditional chants of the Vaelune, maybe it could interact with the desert environment etc... That was the kind of ideas I had.

It would be interesting if that would be solely a cosmetic change. Summoners can change their summons appearance after all, why should a bard not be able to change the song they play for their abilities. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ishka wrote: »
    The only way I can see a bard summon undeads or creatures with his voice, is by singing like this :

For sure I would follow such skillful bard into the hardest battles for the rest of my life.

I found this both nice and stupid
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    I'd like my Bard-Summoner to do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1sL54G45Q
    volunteer_moderator.gif

yes 100% yes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

But only if the dance is included!
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »

But only if the dance is included!

I think the dances is part of the channelling
    nJ0vUSm.gif