Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Thoughts on minions with permanent death

What are yall's thoughts on unique summons with permanent death
I think if there were quest lines for summoners where where they could get unique named summons i.e. make a contract with a fire spirit and get it as a unique named companion or make a contract with a mythical beast and be able to summon them but if they die in combat they die and cannot be resummoned.
Same with necromancers if they kill a boss and they raise it it should be the boss (obviously nerfed a bit) but should still be a strong summon and if it died it is gone and the necromancer would have to go kill another boss and rez it or make a contract with less reputable spirits/deities/etc it would further incentivize boss hunting and class quest hunting especially if there were hidden class minion quest that would be awesome

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The thing with this is if it were in game, it would have to be balanced as if it were the status quo - as that is exactly what it would be.

If it were balanced as such, I personally think it would be interesting - though I have no real intention to play a summoner, so my opinion isn't really that important.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    there is no such thing as permadeath when necromancers are involved
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Love the idea of acquiring unique and powerful beings but not the limitation of perma-death.

I'd rather the process of acquisition be the high price summoner's pay. Having perma-death on a summons feels like an extra layer of upkeep to a core component of the class, and I can see it affecting player's decisions in wanting to tackle difficult content or even participate in PvP.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would be okay with it as long as there are some roadblocks:
    1. The summon starts at lvl 1
    2. The summon takes some of your exp
    3. Youhave to name it

You would be able to equip it with gear etc and revive it through a special quest obtained in a religious node.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I do wish you could equip minions with armour and weapons to make them more unique
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nagash wrote: »
    I do wish you could equip minions with armour and weapons to make them more unique

I can see this as being a good way to give the summoner class as a whole more of a unique playstyle.

My concern with it (one that would be easily overcome) is in the assumption that some people wouldn't be happy if summoners as a whole have reason to roll on more equipment than other classes, and I can also see summoners complaining that their class requires more resources to be effective.

As I said though, these are easily overcome, and I personally like the idea - it may even be enough for me to roll a summoner as an alt.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    On the other side, there would be the issue where summoners would cost more to gear up then other classes and could end with summoners out scale other classes at the high end. This could be a big problem considering summoners are supposed to be the jack of all trades class.

I'd prefer this kind of customization be done through augments and maybe specialized summon gear stats/attributes. Something that allow the summon to get more from their summoner's gear at the cost of summoner losing something. Maybe something could be done where the summoner gives up something to give their summon a weapon.

To OP's question:

I like the idea of a this kind of summon a strong summon you can lose. It would be best if it was unique or at least extremely rare and hard to get. Maybe certain bosses with high re-spawn rates are the only ones with a chance of dropping them. I might prefer it to be more of a thing where you only have it for a certain about of time instead of something that is only lost on death.

If it was a summoner thing then i'd think it would have to be some kind of augment would work. You could have augments that are temporary or lost on death.

Similarly, I could also there being rare, possibly unique, combat pets that don't last forever.

idk, just some thoughts.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    there is no such thing as permadeath when necromancers are involved
    Permaundeath?

Though “Perm-A-Death” sounds like a hair salon for necromancers.

Hhak63P.png
  • RabbitRabbit Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't like the idea for Summons. I mean, it's a magical effect to summon a deer, for example.
    And if you're Summoning a Boss you recently killed, you're basically resurrecting it... and if you
    can do that, then why are we saying you can only do it once?

But Pets or mercenaries? I'm all for them being able to die permanently, forcing you to go out
    and Tame or Hire another one.
    AOSpyaF.png
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maybe a cool down instead of perma death?
    Like the Summon comes from some other dimension, Demon, Angel, Etc, and if it is defeated you have to wait till it recovers. As opposed to basic unnamed summons who you could say is just another member of a particular species. As for pet/ summon armor or gear, i'm all for it, so long as the gear is either just a typing change or maybe utility change, and the acquisition of it is much cheaper than actual gear. Think gearing your cat in Monster Hunter instead of having another character set to fill with random gear.