Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

That dwarf hitbox though..

BeolupusBeolupus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So hear me out. The dwarf looked awesome in the alpha one early preview. However, who else is concerned about that hitbox in a system which will at least be somewhat action combat? I can just imagine the struggle of trying to aim at that little guy dodging around.

I'm assuming that he will in fact be harder to hit, so will that be compensated by having a shorter reach in melee?

g49C7Sx.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's definitely an interesting point and something I'd like to see asked at the next Q&A.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    As a racial trait, they might have higher physical stats but low move speed. Though that is looking a little like Tyrion lannister size.
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Based on what Steven has said he considers action combat to include, I wouldn't be surprised if most action combat attacks involve positioning a reticle or similar at the ground rather than aiming at the body of our intended targets.

This may not be the case, but if it is, it does allow for varying sizes of player characters without any advantage or disadvantage.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope they don't put too much thought into it. Let races be different.

In games I have played where there were different sized races, I have seen devs make smaller races' hitboxes slightly bigger than their model and bigger races slightly smaller than the model. I've also seen larger races get stuff like more reach on their melee attacks.
  • Options
    Yes, we still don't have an answer for that and they've said they are working on a solution - back in early 2019 😅
    signature.png
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, i would say that this is why they need the Alpha and Beta stages dont they?
    To test out new approaches to problems like this one.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In APOC weren't the collision meshes the same as the graphical models? In other words, pixel-perfect?

Obviously, that's going to have to change, but I think it shows that Intrepid are willing to push for more realistic hitboxes rather than giving everyone the same, simple, cylindrical hitbox.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    If they have lower hitboxes then there has to be give and take elsewhere in their kits, for balance ofc, im sure they have thought of this, but we will see soon!
  • Options
    BlinkBlink Member
    Maybe that's just another aspect of the race that encourages certain classes to use them more effectively.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    Why must we balance every little thing, people forget this is an RPG game, of course, it's going to have quirks. if you want a 100% balanced game then go play something else
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2020
    As long as they stay to their principle of risk reward, then it'll be an advantage offset by some disadvantage, which is just fine.
  • Options
    GrizzlyChipsGrizzlyChips Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd say balance is pretty important in a game with a key pillar of "meaningful conflict". Apex Legends (which I realize is not a MMO) patched this issue by giving the smaller characters less defense/health, while the larger characters had more defense/health.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    I’m all good with their smaller hit box if in return they can’t make critical attacks to the head on regular size enemies because they can’t reach that high.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    The dwarves actually look pretty small, almost half the size of a human, I would of expected a head more of height.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Why must we balance every little thing, people forget this is an RPG game, of course, it's going to have quirks. if you want a 100% balanced game then go play something else

The main reason for this would be because we don't want the world over run by dwarves - which is exactly what would happen if their hitbox were significantly smaller, and if that made a difference in PvP.
  • Options
    SarevokSarevok Member
    edited April 2020
    noaani wrote: »

The main reason for this would be because we don't want the world over run by dwarves - which is exactly what would happen if their hitbox were significantly smaller, and if that made a difference in PvP.

Yeah competitive PvPers would definitely utilize this feature. I was already joking in my guild's discord that healers and rogues should probably roll dwarf for this exact reason.
  • Options
    Sarevok wrote: »

Yeah competitive PvPers would definitely utilize this feature. I was already joking in my guild's discord that healers and rogues should probably roll dwarf for this exact reason.

It wouldn't just be competitive PvP'ers, it would be almost everyone.

Even if you are not keen on PvP, in Ashes, you are still someones target. Best making that target as hard to hit as you can, especially if you are not in to PvP.
  • Options
    I miss the old days where

I know you are right but it just hurts my soul that is the way people play. *sigh* I miss the old days
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    I miss the old days where

I know you are right but it just hurts my soul that is the way people play. *sigh* I miss the old days

Despite the fact that I know I would roll a dwarf if the advantage was that big, I miss them as well.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If they mase the dwarven hitbox that small, then they should also reduce their running speed and max stamina.
    Remember, dwarfs are only dangerous over small distances. They are sprinters, no runners!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    If they mase the dwarven hitbox that small, then they should also reduce their running speed and max stamina.
    Remember, dwarfs are only dangerous over small distances. They are sprinters, no runners!

We can fix that by tossing them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    From day one that we got the 64 classes , i'm planing to go Dwarf Shadow guardian...

Do you see the story I wanna tell?

Rogue archetype being buff by the size , but I will never block any arrows if there is a Ren'Kai behind me...
    BTW dwarf size roughly 1/2 humans but it make +-2/5 of a Ren'kai.

Going to be fun ! Well I hope so.
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Until they ask to be tossed..
  • Options

Until they ask to be tossed..

Toss them even then
    nJ0vUSm.gif