Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Life Quest

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I posted about this in the original forum quite a long time ago...but I want to put it here in the new forum as well to get some feedback and see what everyone thought about it.

What is the Life Quest?
The Life Quest is a quest chain for your character’s Archetype starting at level 10 and ending when you reach level cap.

What do you get?
Your choice of a customized weapon or armor piece/set.

Can you go back and redo this at a later time?
No, if you don’t take the quest by level 15 it’s gone. (This could be negated if AOC implements leveling down in their game per zone, but if this later is chosen it should become even harder and even more time consuming.)

This shouldn’t be an easy quest chain either, this should be hard and very time consuming (i.e. having the player spend more time in game and in the world.)

New quest/s open up at each new level or multiple ones and this will progress to level cap. You must however, complete the previous level quest/s before the new level one’s open up.

It could entail some mundane tasks, but moreover it should help the player explore the world, go to other towns, trade with other towns, have a guild leader sign off on a certain task, participate in a caravan journey, go read a book in one of the scientific nodes, fight and learn about monsters that inhabit the world, retrieve a long lost item in an open world dungeon, the ideas and quests could be endless in this regard, but it should be helping the character along their journey to learn the very essence and core ideology about their archetype, and how this archetype came to be.

So, you’ve put in the time, you’ve traversed the world and you’ve done everything that was asked of you, now what? When you reach level cap you get your last quest chain. This should be a chained one that makes the player go get the materials needed for the weapon or armor.

Ok, you have the materials and you are talking to your original quest giver. It’s time to make your weapon/armor set. He/She tells you that you must give some of yourself in the forging of the weapon/armor. During the creation of the item the player will lose half or a whole level for the completion of this weapon or life point loss that isn’t regainable for x amount of days. You can don and use your weapon/armor only after you’ve gained your LP back or reached level cap again.

During the crafting process you the player will get to choose the bonus that is added to the weapon. I have no idea how AOC’s weapons are going to work so I can’t really be too precise on this one, but it should be a very worthwhile bonus. These rewards would be on the same line as a Legendary Weapon/Item.

To take this a step further, you the player will get to choose how your weapon/armor looks based on a set of design templates that you can mix and match. i.e. Staff - Staff top: 1. Dragon head 2. Bird head 3. Some artist design Staff Middle: 1. Plain handle 2. Decorated Handle 3. Gripped handle with a hand cover Bottom of the Staff: 1. Ball bottom 2. Spike bottom 3. Capped bottom.
SwordSword Hilt: 1. Plain cross bars 2. Decorative Bars 3. Animal design bars. Sword Blade: 1. Curved 2. Tapered 3. Elegant Design

The player will also be able to choose one effect to place on the weapon. i.e. glowing, radiating, pulsing If AOC is even going to have this option for game play.

These added extras are meant to make the player stand out among the crowd and show off his/her hard work and accomplishment. Adding in the choices will alleviate the mundane look everyone will have walking around with the Vek Sword of Truth that everyone can get by doing said raid or open dungeon.

This again should be a long time consuming quest chain and time given to this quest should show off and yield the proper reward. When you see a player character walking around in town or out and about you will know they are something special.

The easiest way to implement the weapon/armor getting better with expansions is to add more quests when a new expansion or patch hits, or you could just auto up the item to reflect the proper level with the expansion or patch IF other weapons and armor sets coming in the expansion or patch is more powerful than the said weapon/armor.

Anywho, would love to hear some thoughts and feedback on this idea. Thanks for reading and commenting if you decide to!

Best,
Bal

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why do you need this quest for this? This is what crafting is for.

Just become a crafter, level your craft, get all the crafting notches with that stats you want to make your perfect weapon or armor. Figure out which node has the weapon or armor forge you are looking for and work with people to get it built up. Work with people to get the rare resources you need.

Doing all that would be quite an epic quest.
  • yeee I agree with stackerson. I hate it when there are quests for everything tbh 👀Just do stuff yourself people..don't need someone to say ''do this, do that, here's your reward''...
    signature.png
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If there is anything like this, it should be an appearance item only. That way nobody is 'forced' to do the quest. You think that item is cool? Do the quest.
    And nobody is going to be saying you can't group with them without this item (unless they are very fashion conscious...).
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This would be a totally player choice quest. I can already see the later of your second paragraph happening Undead with whatever the hot item or gear is.its one of the reasons I detest raids. This was merely a side quest idea so to speak not some main narrative quest. It was also meant to give a player something unique instead of the cookie cutter endgame item. Something the player could call his/her own. Guess I didn't explain that well enough in the original post.
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea, but I don't think it makes sense to start a quest at level 10 that will only pay off once you reach max level.

I'd prefer just to have a smaller version of this every 10 levels. Like you said, they should get you to explore the world and take on different leveling challenges (not too hard though, because unfortunately, everyone expects leveling to be super easy). And they should give some pretty good leveling gear, maybe equivalent to rare dungeon gear of the same level.

And then you can have the bigger, harder, more epic life quest after you reach level cap, for the unique personalized item. I would just add one suggestion there: I think there needs to be a way to adapt your unique item to new playstyles. If it has special effects/stats that only work with a certain build, then it could become useless when players try out new things.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maybe have the new quest when you reach the second tier last till the next tier? Like you said one every 10 levels?
    So new quest at 20 and that quest chain would last till level 30, then get a new one.
    I do agree that would be a ton of quests to do at each level.
    I based this progression off of the old wow druid form quests...BEFORE they nerfed it to nothing. Dont know if you ever did the original aquatic form quest for the druid or not but it was fun and challenging.
    As stated this is to give the player something unique to them and them only instead of seeing x number of players running around with the same final raid boss item.

Yeah, I have no idea how they are doing their items/armor bonuses/abilities.
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the sentiment, but just want to temper expectations a bit. Not everything can be one-of-a-kind. Every class could have it's own series of quests and a choice between a few items at the end of each quest, but they can't make a unique item for every single player. And letting players mix-and-match pieces to make their own stuff usually just results in funky looking amalgamations.

When I look for customization/uniqueness in an MMO, I'm really just trying to look/be different from my friends, party members, or guildmates. But there's a probably a few players out there in the world who have almost the exact same look or playstyle.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg