If AOC has "Fanservice" - Real question time

FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
edited April 26 in General Discussion
Whether we have big explosions, cool looking armors to bob sliders, scantily-clad outfits (underclothed), and a few drops of sexualization, whether that's fitted armor, or undergarments. How far is too far? What do you think is adequate for an RPG?

Final Fantasy 14 Eorzea Collection?
5f50f501b5dfc6fa74d8470306400ced.jpg

How far is too far? What do you think is adequate for an RPG? FF14 levels of fanservice? or BDO?
post below

updatedban.png
«1

Comments

  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    (If you post, everyone will know you're a degenerate, BUT EMBRACE THE WARMTH THAT IS serious question hours)
    updatedban.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    edited April 26
    I'm fine with it
    m64MaKt.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Nagash wrote: »

    ayyyeeeee
    updatedban.png
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    I’m not entirely against more revealing clothes. I am against revealing clothes that are touted as being “armor”. I’m also against normal armor turning into vacuformed boob plates when it’s placed on a female model.

    Either all characters get the same amount of skin-flashing, or just kindly be respectful and not put lingerie-d armor into the game at all.
  • As long as armor keeps being practical, then i would have no problem.
    A metal swimsuit is not practical.
    KkvMmA5.png
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Gentleman, I respect those opinions. This discussion is culture
    updatedban.png
  • I like traditional armor, not some pretty dress or over the top outfit to go adventuring in. No huge shoulder pads PLEASE! Skin is ok of done tastefully.
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    Either all characters get the same amount of skin-flashing, or just kindly be respectful and not put lingerie-d armor into the game at all.

    This is a pretty good way to sum up how I feel about this as well. I've never been super concerned about how sexy people want to make themselves look because I'll just dress my character the way I want to. The only thing that bugs me is when the sexiness/reveal ratio is waaaay heavily skewed towards one gender. Let me see everyone lookin smexy or don't even bother programming/designing it in the first place.

    The examples mentioned though, FFXIV I feel like has a better balance of gender sexiness, although still slightly skewed towards women. While BDO on the other hand is heavily skewed towards female sexiness with much fewer male options. The level of sexiness I felt was fine in both games, but like I said, let everybody have the opportunity to look sexy regardless of the gender they pick.

    The only other thing I feel about this topic is I'm not really cool with full on nudity. I know it's been mentioned before that I don't think they're going in this direction for rating purposes, even though they've considered it, but I just don't get the appeal of it. We all know kids are going to play these games and it's like half don't need to/want to see that and the other half will constantly run around naked making lewd things happen.
  • edited April 27
    I personally don't mind people scantily cladding their characters, nor do I complain when games offer it as a functionality. It usually isn't how my character dresses unless it's for like either RP depending on how the character ended up being fleshed out personality-wise. I.E on a thief it would make little sense to be wearing full length pants, or my gear setup just happened to look that way when I was trying to match pieces to make a diverse yet cohesive appearing set. That being said, those kind of things should just be costume oriented as in you have to choose that as the appearance as opposed to just equipping some plate armor on a female character and it's just arbitrarily a battle bikini.

    A good recent comparison to draw was in WoW somewhat fairly recently (couple months back or so) they made your chestpiece able to be hidden, so basically it's just pants that you can't hide. Yet where it ends up is people fought that on the premise of "Oh well kids are going to just make their female characters topless." Yet when it came to be implemented it mostly affected male characters with very few female characters in game actually utilizing it. The reason for that being (mind you this is pure speculation based on observation) female characters could already do that sort of thing with a myriad of gear pieces in the game, and it appeared a lot more tasteful if you were running around in say, the Grizzly Jerkin chestpiece which achieved much of the same effect on a female character, but it wasn't just blatantly running around in a bra despite being very similar. Yet for male characters, you couldn't really do this before. So if you wanted to have like a Conan the Barbarian sort of thing going on, you weren't able to do it on a male character.

    Allow both genders to experience the thing or don't basically. If you largely just allow it for female avatars in game then you kind of open the floodgates for all the nonsense crying about objectification. When it's even handed that argument can't exist and you can only blame individual players rather than a studio for how they choose to dress their characters but on that token, it's their character, not yours. They can do with it as they please and it doesn't affect you. As an aside, it was more frustrating in games before you had options to opt out of this through costumes, transmog/glamour, etc. So if your best in slot legs just happened to be a battle thong, you were stuck with it until a new gear piece arrived in the new tier of content. Now if that's not how you want your character looking you can get rid of it. The glory of costumes. This was also why I largely abstained from playing female characters in WoW, namely casters because some pieces of gear just looked pretty cringe to people who didn't play the game. I.E leveling a mage, using Black Mageweave Leggings which in game just appeared on female characters as a black pair of panties around level 40 because they have decent stats for leveling. Friend comes by and just sees me in a character that looks like she's in her underwear and probably thinks I'm oggling my character while I'm leveling an alt. So it kind of works both ways, most people I notice tend to avoid that if given the option and very few actually utilize it to make their character incredibly skimpy.
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old
    I'm for both practical armours and the "sexy" stuff but it has to be equally represented. So if female characters can wear skimpy clothing then, in turn, the males should be able to wear the same clothing and vice versa.

    If we're going for a more inclusive MMO/MMO community then it has to be all-inclusive, not just catering to one troupe.
  • Makinoji wrote: »
    I'm for both practical armours and the "sexy" stuff but it has to be equally represented. So if female characters can wear skimpy clothing then, in turn, the males should be able to wear the same clothing and vice versa.

    If we're going for a more inclusive MMO/MMO community then it has to be all-inclusive, not just catering to one troupe.

    I want to see male dwarven fighters run around in man-thongs. Enemies will get an automatic -6 on hitchance
    KkvMmA5.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    Damokles wrote: »
    Makinoji wrote: »
    I'm for both practical armours and the "sexy" stuff but it has to be equally represented. So if female characters can wear skimpy clothing then, in turn, the males should be able to wear the same clothing and vice versa.

    If we're going for a more inclusive MMO/MMO community then it has to be all-inclusive, not just catering to one troupe.

    I want to see male dwarven fighters run around in man-thongs. Enemies will get an automatic -6 on hitchance

    Like this

    20a8f3b6cf6113915467492d48c14fc3.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Makinoji wrote: »
    I'm for both practical armours and the "sexy" stuff but it has to be equally represented. So if female characters can wear skimpy clothing then, in turn, the males should be able to wear the same clothing and vice versa.

    If we're going for a more inclusive MMO/MMO community then it has to be all-inclusive, not just catering to one troupe.

    I want to see male dwarven fighters run around in man-thongs. Enemies will get an automatic -6 on hitchance

    Like this

    20a8f3b6cf6113915467492d48c14fc3.jpg

    No.
    Like this:

    51G%2Biv4QS4L._AC_UX679_.jpg
    KkvMmA5.png
  • xlangatangxxlangatangx Member, Braver of Worlds
    Agree with the majority here. I prefer practical. Armor should not cover 1/3 of your body and be efficient. If you are wearing scantily clad clothing, make it come with a penalty of some kind, or be much less efficient.

    Crudeness works around town, at the tavern, at the marketplace, or with the guildies. It does not work in dungeons, and feels too sexualized.

    I would love to wear the Borat thong purely for the charisma modification.
  • 1) Revealing clothes could be an option only if it is avaible for both genders
    2) Sexy armor could apply for cloth and maybe leather armour but if they apply it to chainmail or full plate it's when the immersion is lost
    3) If there's going to be both extremes from oversexualized to full covered then it would be smart to fill all the in-between
    With a quick inmersion in pinterest we all can find examples of characters of both genders that can look sexy/seductive/attractive in full cover clothes to the ones that look mighty and savage in revealing outfits
    giphy.gif
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Makinoji wrote: »
    I'm for both practical armours and the "sexy" stuff but it has to be equally represented. So if female characters can wear skimpy clothing then, in turn, the males should be able to wear the same clothing and vice versa.

    If we're going for a more inclusive MMO/MMO community then it has to be all-inclusive, not just catering to one troupe.

    I want to see male dwarven fighters run around in man-thongs. Enemies will get an automatic -6 on hitchance

    Like this

    No.
    Like this:

    GENTLEMAN PLEASE. I spat my water when i saw the speedo.
    updatedban.png
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Chezshire wrote: »

    Good thing that plate armor aint going to be too unpractical. hehe.

    updatedban.png
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    It is "too far" when the outfit comes with high heels or skirts with exposed underwear. That's when you know for sure the characters are being s*xualized and have 0 dignity, not respected even to the idiot who's playing them.
    I don't know what this undergarment is called, but this is OK in my opinion.

    Misaka.Mikoto.full.2483825.jpg

    Edit: and in case you hadn't realize, the reason high heels are bad is because they make the characters look like they have huge hips and chest with sl*tty standing posture as well as contributing to making the underwear more visible.

    I would think that a bigger concern with high heels would be that you cant run in them or risk to break your ankles if you do tbh...
    KkvMmA5.png
  • I'd love if there was a civilian, and then combat mode. Combat mode would be all of your normal stated gear, and would look appropriate to whatever its stats are, maybe dex gear could be lighter, or partial chain, or casting bonus gear be more cloth inspired, however they want to swing it. And the civilian mode would have a zero stat, or maybe minor non combat stat, and be just normal clothes, or whatever design you could think up. then have it just be an out of combat channel to switch?
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    you could do what FFXIV does and has normal clothes when crafting
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NoaaniNoaani Member
    I've played a few games that have gear specific to crafting, including stats to make it easier (or in some games, make high end crafting possible).

    I could see having crafting based gear like this, but also farming based gear for on freeholds (if you do any farming there). I could even see having merchant based gear for city/metropolis node markets, potentially offering a reduction in taxes paid or something.

    Not sure I'd want to go as far as Archeage though, where they had specific items to wear to get a bonus to sleeping.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to go as far as Archeage though, where they had specific items to wear to get a bonus to sleeping.
    Yeah that might be going a little far haha. But craft related stats for crafting could be really cool! Seeing people wearing blacksmithing aprons as they crafted or refined would be awesome!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to go as far as Archeage though, where they had specific items to wear to get a bonus to sleeping.
    Yeah that might be going a little far haha. But craft related stats for crafting could be really cool! Seeing people wearing blacksmithing aprons as they crafted or refined would be awesome!

    Yeah, I agree.

    On top of that, if they make it so that the gear is actually useful/needed, maybe has some form of specialty to it within a given profession and make it so it actually involves some investment, it could go a long way to encouraging people to specialize more rather than trying to be a jack-of-all-trades.
  • rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to go as far as Archeage though, where they had specific items to wear to get a bonus to sleeping.
    Yeah that might be going a little far haha. But craft related stats for crafting could be really cool! Seeing people wearing blacksmithing aprons as they crafted or refined would be awesome!

    BDO does this with costumes, they give specific bonuses, so the blacksmith apron gives faster blacksmith crafting cooking apron gives faster cooking/more cooking exp. Pretty simple system and makes sense, they should not be behind and a paywall and it would be good in AoC.

    Also any over-sexualized clothing should be a costume and not armor imo.
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    ^ :)

    Lol, now im just wondering if Intrepid will have any.
    updatedban.png
  • FooFooFooFoo Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    I don't know what this undergarment is called, but this is OK in my opinion.

    I believe those are "Briefs" or could even say "Bike shorts"
    updatedban.png
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds
    To a degree. Otherwise it just brings me out of the experience of it being a game, and reminds me that creeps want to get off wherever they can including in public spaces like video game mmos.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Early Alpha One Tester
    OrcLuck wrote: »
    To a degree. Otherwise it just brings me out of the experience of it being a game, and reminds me that creeps want to get off wherever they can including in public spaces like video game mmos.

    Oh you will have ERP anywhere even if we have full armour its just the way of the world
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Nagash wrote: »
    OrcLuck wrote: »
    To a degree. Otherwise it just brings me out of the experience of it being a game, and reminds me that creeps want to get off wherever they can including in public spaces like video game mmos.

    Oh you will have ERP anywhere even if we have full armour its just the way of the world

    I don’t know about you, but I find it infinitely easier to overlook a few people writing out their fantasies via text (which I’d be able to block), than it is to overlook a character’s asscheeks hanging out of their “clothes”
Sign In or Register to comment.