Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New Game Plus I think it could be a nice thing for players and the game

OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I think New Game Plus is a great way to get people to re-enter the leveling system and create more value in the content that they might not experience at high levels of play. The new player situation should always be changing as nodes level up and new content is revealed, and it shakes up the balance of power if people decide to risk re-leveling to experience the leveling content over again.

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    New Game Plus works in some games, but its not something that would work in Ashes based on the fact its an open world game, not a repeat of the same content.

This isn't a themepark like WoW or FFXIV with a main driving story. You may never do some parts of the story. You may never leave a corner of the world.

Its a great idea for games like Pantheon where you do a lot of grinding on the same stuff over and over, but not really a fit for a themebox like Ashes.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm sorry but I think the reset coinciding with new content always being revealed is whats appealing about going through new quests. Why do you think it would be boring? The highest tiers of play are definitely about keeping a node leveled, but whats to say that the new player experience in that setting wouldn't be interesting or very appealing to people whom want a challenge?

I think a system like this would be great for people whom want a name change, or people whom want to reset a faction or the corruption system. As well, instead of power leveling your newbie friends, you get to play along side them and they don't feel like theres a power imbalance in your cooperation.
  • Options
    Reminds me of something for main-frame computers. I'm sure the devs can add it but the real question is if it's worth it. Looks like there might be a software incompatibility issue related to hardware, because of the dynamics of Unreal Engine 4. Chrono Trigger came out virtually the same time that this altercation factor was developed, thats why the age of the technology (given it's origins) did not coincide with each other. Add to this the fact that New Game Plus was intended for long, single player games with multiple endings, therefore, give these circumstances one would utilize the program to either alter a favorite ending (maybe Tika fell in love with Ash instead of Cloud, i.e.) or make a superfluous ending where if the hero like Link gets Zelda, then maybe Bowser would get her.
    WCvdU03.jpg
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How would a new game plus mode work? In most single player games, a new game plus mode ups the difficulty to account for players who are more experienced or are using already levelled up characters, but you can't really do that in an mmorpg unless you have specific "new game plus" zones, which kinda defeats the point of it.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Honestly, the whole idea doesn't make much sense to me in in terms of adding it to Ashes.

It makes sense to add it to single player games - it would maybe worth talking to Bethesda about it more than Intrepid.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    Honestly, the whole idea doesn't make much sense to me in in terms of adding it to Ashes.

It makes sense to add it to single player games - it would maybe worth talking to Bethesda about it more than Intrepid.

You know a game that would really benefit from a new game plus mode and has never got one? Pokemon. It would be perfect and has been asked for by fans for years, and yet the devs never put it in.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    OrcLuck wrote: »
    I think a system like this would be great for people whom want a name change, or people whom want to reset a faction or the corruption system. As well, instead of power leveling your newbie friends, you get to play along side them and they don't feel like theres a power imbalance in your cooperation.

I think this is less related to New Game+ and more about creating a new Alt character. Ashes of Creation won't have a linear story line where a New Game+ system would be applicable. Most NG+ I've played also has either been a "hard mode" of repeating the exact story content you've already done, or just granting the character the ability to go through the story line again for the sake of reading lore, finding treasure, or exploring locations all while using the same character. Most NG+ I've played (so there may be some that do this) don't let you rename your character or switch factions, but instead just apply some sort of change to your pre-existing character. I think they best option for what you're describing though is just to create a new character that you can play alongside lower level friends with a different race/class/faction from your primary character.

• Options
    Thanks for the criticism I think you're right. Its probably optimal in very narrow linear titles. I still think though that there is some value in not having to play an alt to help a friend level, if you don't want to over power the content.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    A system where you can artificially lower your level to match that of your friend is what you want then.

Many games do this, and if it is done right, you are not over powering the content.