Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Group Casting: Fun Ideas

JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I remember hearing that a group of Summoners could work together to summon a large golem/mob that would be helpful in siege type situations and this got my brain whirling. What kind of ability/skill would a group of specific "XYZ" classes have if a bunch of them got together to cast it?
Some of the classes probably wouldn't work together, or are more solo oriented. I also don't have 100% an idea what the specifics are for all of these classes, but just kind of winging it based on the name. When I was writing these all out I didn't want to write "for a short time" over and over so just assume that all the skills are for a limited amount of time and not a permanent thing.

Let me know if you can think of any cool ideas for "group class skills" that I might not have. Or if you think that a class I mentioned is something totally different than how I talked about it. Would be cool to see how everyone else perceives the classes based on the titles alone.

Side Note: This is just a fun thought thread and isn't meant to be taken super serious (aka balance wasn't the priority nor is this a feasible thing to have for every class).

ashesofcreationclasslist-1040x644.jpg

Weapon Master (Fighter x Fighter): The Master's of the battlefield call out to their allies, granting their allies additional damage/accuracy for weapon based attacks when near a friendly Weapon Master.

Hunter (Fighter x Ranger): The Hunter's use their sharp senses and combined intelligence to spot and mark enemy royalty, generals, mayors, etc

Spellsword (Fighter x Mage): The masters of might and magic whisper to their weapons granting their allies both physical and magical damage.

Bladecaller (Fighter x Summoner): Stacking their swords together, the Bladecaller's summon a legendary champion to fight by their side.

Guardian (Tank x Tank): The Guardian's vow to protect their allies at any cost. Their shared determination grants them additional armor and a portion of all nearby allies is reverted to their cluster.

Spellshield (Tank x Mage): The Spellshield's bang their fist against their shields granting all of their team members a small magical shield that absorbs a certain amount of damage.

Paladin (Tank x Cleric): The Paladin's pray to their god and ask for divine protection, all ally members who follow the same religion as any Paladin in the group will receive a blessing of regeneration.

Cultist (Rogue x Cleric): The Cultist's call upon the dark arts, sacrificing all participating cultists, in order to resurrect a large demon to fight for them.

Scout (Ranger x Rogue): The Scout's combine their intel to form a "living map" of all enemy locations that they share with all allies

Hawkeye (Ranger x Ranger): The group of Hawkeye's uncover their enemies weakness together, granting allies a critical strike and accuracy bonus

Scion (Ranger x Mage): The Scion's experiences in the forest are familiar, yet distinct, and together they call upon the aid of the forest. Branches and barbs grow out of the ground around them, slowing all nearby enemies

Falconer (Ranger x Summoner): The Falconer's are used to taming small birds for their assistance, but together they call upon the might of a large griffin/bird to fight by their side

Bowsinger (Ranger x Bard): The Bowsingers enjoy providing entertainment from the background, when working together their song almost seems to distract enemy projectiles. Allies gain additional evasion from projectiles.

Spellstone (Mage x Tank): When the Spellstone's thinks the battle is going against them they combine their might to sacrifice their own defense to grant all allies additional defense.

Shadowcaster (Mage x Rogue): No one notices the shadows until the Shadowcaster's appear from within them. Working together they provide portals for allies to use at specific shadowy locations.

Spellhunter (Mage x Ranger): When on the search for magic there is nothing greater than the hunt for knowledge. When the Spellhunter's put their heads together they are able to use forbidden arts granting their allies quicker recast times.

Archwizard (Mage x Mage): An Archwizard is scary on the battlefield, but a group of Archwizards? Terrifying. Gathering their mystical energies they summon the power of one of the natural disasters upon their enemies.

Warlock (Mage x Summoner): Warlocks are known for their strong connection to the earth, together they summon a powerful elemental beast to fight for them.

Acolyte (Mage x Cleric): Balancing their worldly powers with their divine gifts they work together to provide Wings of Glory to their allies, granting them a one time heal and providing a magic resistance buff

Sorcerer (Mage x Bard): Magic is dazzling enough, but turning it into a show is something only a Sorcerer can do. When a group of Sorcerer's get together the battlefield becomes littered with dancing lights which will explode when an enemy approaches causing damage over time, type respective to the color of the orb.

Brood Warden (Summoner x Tank): Few upset a Brood Warden and live to tell the tale. Upset a whole...brood...of Brood Wardens and I pray you have your will already written. Together the Brood Wardens chant together to summon a large Brood Mother to battle beside them

Beastmaster (Summoner x Ranger): A group of Beastmaster's work together to summon a legendary beast to fight for their team.

Conjurer (Summoner x Summoner): Summoner's are no strangers to invoking the might of the wild, but when a group of Conjurer's work together their usual beasts turn into monsters of legend. Together they can summon the spirit of a dragon to fight for them from the sky.

Necromancer (Summoner x Cleric): Using their knowledge of the dead a group of Necromancer's can resurrect slain allies and enemy corpses to fight for their army.

Enchanter (Summoner x Bard): There is something alluring about an Enchanter's presence, but when a group works together they can persuade even their fiercest of enemies to work for them. When Enchanter's work together they can momentarily turn enemy summons, pets, and beasts against their owners.

Apostle (Cleric x Tank): Working for the gods is no easy task, but when a group of Apostle's pray together their devotion reaches even the furthest of divine ears. After finishing their group prayer allies who follow the same religion as any Apostle in the prayer will receive Divine Armor that turns a portion of the damage back to it's attacker.

Protector (Cleric x Ranger): Many cleric's focus their attention towards their two legged allies, but Protector's keep an eye on their animal companions as well. When Protector's notice that the battle is going poorly they work together to send divine might to all ally pets, summons, and companions granting them a one time heal and a damage boost.

Oracle (Cleric x Mage): Spreading the word of the gods is the Oracle's main duty, but sometimes they can take that too seriously. When a group of Oracles work together they work together to convince their enemies to lay down their weapons in the name of their gods. When Oracle's finish their task all enemies who follow the religion of any Oracle in the group is stunned for a brief duration.

Shaman (Cleric x Summoner): Shaman's use their divine wisdom to commune with the various planes. When Shaman's work together they can summon a divine being to provide judgment against their enemies, dealing additional damage to enemies of the same religion as any Shaman in the group, but less damage to those who do not follow any religion.

High Priest (Cleric x Cleric): Devoting one's life purely to the gods is a task not many take, but is one that is crucial on the battlefield. When High Priests work together they pray to their gods for assistance and when answered all recently slain allies are resurrected.

Scryer (Cleric x Bard): When the divine meets the miraculous sometimes a person develops innate abilities to read their enemies. When Scryers work together to divine the future they share their gift of foresight with all of their allies allowing them to see which spells and abilities enemies are casting.

Siren (Bard x Tank): Tales of the Siren's song has been passed down for generations, but when a group of Siren's sing their deadly song all enemies within hearing range are drawn to their song. Enemies are forced to move in the direction of the Siren and cannot attack any opponent accept the Siren until the song completes, but once any Siren is hit the song ends.

Magician (Bard x Mage): Now you see them, now you don't. When a group of Magicians combine tricks of the trade they can turn all nearby allies and themselves invisible for a short duration or until they attack.

Songcaller (Bard x Summoner): Using the power of their voices Songcallers work together to persuade even the grumpiest of foes to obey them. After the Songcaller's finish their song a raging bull charges through the battlefield throwing all enemies in its path to the side leaving a clear path for allies.

Soul Weaver (Bard x Cleric): The soul is one of the most complicated parts of a being, but the Soul Weaver's have spent years studying to uncover its secrets. When Soul Weaver's work together they link their own lives with that of their allies. If their party members were to die they instead remain at 1HP and all additional damage is converted to the Soul Weaver.

Minstrel (Bard x Bard): The battlefield is a terrifying place, but when a band of Minstrels play their jaunty tune through the chaos all nearby allies are granted courage providing them with a large speed and damage increase, but at the cost of accuracy.

Comments

• Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited May 2020
    Group cast skills would be cool and actually reminded me of the Fellowship maneuvers mechanic in Lord of the rings online: https://youtube.com/watch?v=rvPe4lIt5Jk

Some classes like the burglar (rogue) had a skill to activate this. There were several combo's each with their own effect (based on the group size) Some would do a lot of direct AOE damage, another would leave bleeds on the targets, there was one that healed the whole party and one that restored power (mana)

You had limited time to press it, this did encouraged teamwork and sometimes was a lifesaver :open_mouth:

Now back to your suggestion:

The idea is really cool, I was thinking that maybe each class should get a skill (massive cooldown) that allows to active a group skill. Based on that class that used it the others in your party have press one of 4 symbols (as in the fellowship maneuvers) to get to a certain combination.

When starting a group it can be discussed in your party who will activate what and assign each person a slot/color to press.

Below link: Some examples of combo's + their effects. These effects could changed to your suggestions based on the class that activates it.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Fellowship_Manoeuvre
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Archwizard: overlapping aoe spells combine into one singular spell, expanding the effect range and charing their mana with one another.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to see special animations for each summoner archetype when they are using a special group summon!!!!
    Warlocks: Whispering wile corrupt energy comes from their spellbooks and open a demonic portal to hell in order to summon a powerful demon or demonic siege machine
    Shamans: Dancing and chanting in circles while the NPC is being summoned
    Necromancers: Maybe making a self inflicted wound in their hands and pouring their blood in the ground then the earth becomes tainted so one of the most horrific zombie dragons starts to make its way out of the underworld :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    halbarz wrote: »
    The idea is really cool, I was thinking that maybe each class should get a skill (massive cooldown) that allows to active a group skill. Based on that class that used it the others in your party have press one of 4 symbols (as in the fellowship maneuvers) to get to a certain combination.

When starting a group it can be discussed in your party who will activate what and assign each person a slot/color to press.

Oh I love this! Not only would it encourage group cooperation and communication, but also potentially lead to some really funny moments/trolling with friends. As a DPS I know there have been many a moments where one of my Tank/Healer friends has snatched a Limit Break from me in FFXIV just to hear me be sad hahahaha.

But yeah I think that'd also add in a nice party dynamic as well!

Chezshire wrote: »
    I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want to see special animations for each summoner archetype when they are using a special group summon!!!!

That would be cool if they did make specific class group abilities! Or even if it was just "Summoner" types that could all work together if they performed different actions, like the ones you listed, in order to summon. Or perhaps depending on the summon the Summoners all choose to perform, they all take the actions of the primary Summoner type. Like if a shaman is assisting in a Necromancer summon they would do the actions a Necromancer normally would. That'd be cool too I think!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I like the idea of Mass Casting Spells, but I'd like to see it be special to Mage and Summoner cores only.
    But, a mass-cast ritual should require at LEAST 4 of the pure core classes to perform the ritual.
    So, Mage/Mage x4 plus 4 additional players of any combination, minimum per ritual.
    Each additional "core class" (8 max) adds 10% base damage per ritual up to 8, then a full party of core Mages would get a 10% bonus base damage, plus normal gear modifiers, up to 50% additional base damage per ritual. A Mass-cast would have a cooldown of 1 hour, per core player, so 8 Summoners could do a maximum of 8 Mass-casts total in one hour.
    An example of mass-casting Meteor in FFXI @2:41 in the video below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CUepYCA4c8