Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mob threat detection

2»

Comments

• Options
    MosephMoseph Member
    edited May 2020
    grisu wrote: »
    I always just saw tanks as excelling in deceiving, taunting and controlling a mob to have it focused on you. That's their skill set beside having big shields and heavy armour. Making the mob believe you as the tank are the most important target or being the bullwark that won't let you pass to get to whatever you want to attack.
    I like this idea.
    Basically tanks are just assholes talking shit the whole time, sitting there pissing off the boss.
    "Hey... Hey... Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.”
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    edited May 2020
    Moseph wrote: »
    Basically tanks are just assholes talking shit the whole time, sitting there pissing off the boss.
    "Hey... Hey... Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.”

That's what I did in WoW for some skills like taunts or 2minute cd skills that really boost my defence. I just put in a tiny script that bound a /shout xxx to it's activations.

It was really fun and a reason why I want macros in a game whenever possible.

"Oooh you are sooo mighty, can't even scratch the fur of a bear. How the heck did you ever get to lead this bastion? Won a lottery?"

Not proud of it, but sometimes when I hit just the right words with a new taunt people didn't know yet we had a wipe because people just burst out laughing and getting distracted. (totally proud of it and worth it)
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member

The animal kingdom has lot's of examples supporting perceived threat as a survival mechanism. Animals that make themselves bigger, flash colours, change shape or move in certain ways to deter danger away by making themselves more noticeable and or threatening.

Petition to make neon colored armor add to your threat generation (/s)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I mean, if we are talking "realism" and immersion breaking for you, how would you as a boss, know that it was the ranger that dealt all that damage to you?

The boss has a combat tracker.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    Yes you are sarcastic, but fact is red cars are stopped more often than any other coloured car. That is a statistical fact because it instinctively draws more attention to it regardless of it doing something wrong or not. It is hardwired into us to look at red more intensely. Evolution right there and it could be a subtle mechanic to help or hinder tanking. (if a game set out to do that, learning about those things in enemies)
  • Options
    EQ2 had "Slurred Insult" as one of the tank class skills - the class was kind of supposed to be like a drunken master type thing.

I was disappointed that there was no dialogue associated with it unless the player created macros like above (the ability to tie in a text command to an ability should be standard in all MMO's imo).

To me, this could be one way for developers to put a bit of personality in to the game. I'd love to see one of the tank taunts simply called "Insult", and then have the developers put in hundreds of typed insults that the tank can say at random (purely as text, not voice or anything). Have a few that are specific to factions/races/religions what ever, and it could add so much to the game.

I'm sure the developers at Intrepid would enjoy a competition to come up with the best generic, non-offensive insult they can... no doubt some of us here would also jump at the chance to come up with some.

---

As for the color thing, yeah, it absolutely should matter. Animals should attack bright big shiny things first in general - as much of a game system requirement as anything (tanks are usually big shiny things, holding other big shiny things).

It would be interesting if appearance items actually had an effect on hate like this.
  • Options
    Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @grisu , I think you might want to reread my original post.
    My original idea was about detecting, not during a fight, and what leads up to this fight.
    What's wrong with wanting something better?
  • Options
    MosephMoseph Member
    Caeryl wrote: »

The animal kingdom has lot's of examples supporting perceived threat as a survival mechanism. Animals that make themselves bigger, flash colours, change shape or move in certain ways to deter danger away by making themselves more noticeable and or threatening.

Or colorful plumes on our backs like Peacocks open up as a taunt.
  • Options

This sounds like a great idea.

If it happened, I can see DPS not referring to tanks as meat shields any longer. If they have plumage like a peacock, they will just be called cocks!
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    noaani wrote: »

This sounds like a great idea.

If it happened, I can see DPS not referring to tanks as meat shields any longer. If they have plumage like a peacock, they will just be called cocks!

That one Kesha song plays in the background any time they use their taunt
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @Balrog21 probably wasn't addressed to you then.
    I haven't said a single thing against something new. Just that people shouldn't lean on the air thin opinion of "unrealistic and immersion breaking".

I have nothing to say to your post. It doesn't concern me. I play games to have an experience and fun, not psychoanalyse why I didn't get attacked 10 steps earlier by a demon of the ninth hell that refuses help of the other entities in the lair of evil. I go into a raid to slash up evil, preferably with a reason, a story leading up to it and some emotional investment. I'm not there to analyze the accurate representation of it's simulated near lifelike behaviour.