Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Account tag in friends list?

WongWong Member, Intrepid Pack
Hey all,

So what do you think? Would you like to be able to add the Account Tag of a friend to your friends list so you can automatically have all of their characters (ala Blizzard's battle tag system) in your list or would you rather stick to just the specific character you add?

To expand on that. Would you want there to be a feature that lets you block the Account Tag of people that are toxic/annoying etc?

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    They answered the friends list question in a livestream. It will be based on character name and not account tag. They said the interface would be pretty standard and that the real, deep systems development was being focused on guild menus and functions.

<speculation/opinion> Since spying and infiltration of rival guilds will be a thing, they will not add tools that would make outing such behavior easier. Fairly easy if friends list is account based to tag everyone from a rival guild, exposing any characters they might have infiltrated into your guild.
    It can also be used to target people when they come online. If the friends list is one way tagged, where if you add them, then you can see if they are online, whether they accept a friend request or not, then it can be used to grief and as a tool for bounty hunters. In SWG a common way to track jedi players was to add them to friends list. You could see them when they came online and which planet they were on, even though they had never accepted a friend invite from you. All you had to do was send one. Wait for them to build visibility, hit the bounty boards, and cash in.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • MosephMoseph Member
    In SWG a common way to track jedi players was to add them to friends list. You could see them when they came online and which planet they were on, even though they had never accepted a friend invite from you. All you had to do was send one. Wait for them to build visibility, hit the bounty boards, and cash in.

What?!?! How did I not know that? That would've been sooooo much easier.

• Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've honestly gone back and forth over this question.

My gut is to say, keep it secret.. keep the responsibility on the guilds and only allow that char when adding "friends". That's fine with me, but what I'm more looking at is a guild when you join. I see potential because of EvE and how it handles things. For each character allow people to do extensive background checks. Make people work for it if they want to spy.

Let's use EvE as an example: Almost any corporation/alliance worth its salt in EvE will require you to hand over an API key that allows them to see the following (in read only mode)
    • Every contract you've made
    • All the ore you've mined
    • All the money you've made
    • Who You've made the money from
    • Who sends you money
    • Who sends you mail
    • Who you've sent mail to
    • The last ship you bought
    • The last ship that died
    • And the List goes ONNNNNNNNN

BUT, they cannot see what other characters you have. So they can do their best to try and gleam if this is a spy from that info, but they need to put in work to do it, and more importantly they have the tools to do so.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Alpha Soul wrote: »
    I've honestly gone back and forth over this question.

My gut is to say, keep it secret.. keep the responsibility on the guilds and only allow that char when adding "friends". That's fine with me, but what I'm more looking at is a guild when you join. I see potential because of EvE and how it handles things. For each character allow people to do extensive background checks. Make people work for it if they want to spy.

Let's use EvE as an example: Almost any corporation/alliance worth its salt in EvE will require you to hand over an API key that allows them to see the following (in read only mode)
    • Every contract you've made
    • All the ore you've mined
    • All the money you've made
    • Who You've made the money from
    • Who sends you money
    • Who sends you mail
    • Who you've sent mail to
    • The last ship you bought
    • The last ship that died
    • And the List goes ONNNNNNNNN

BUT, they cannot see what other characters you have. So they can do their best to try and gleam if this is a spy from that info, but they need to put in work to do it, and more importantly they have the tools to do so.

Actually they can see the other 2 characters on the account. That is part of the full API key.
    mrsynth wrote: »
    Hey all,

So what do you think? Would you like to be able to add the Account Tag of a friend to your friends list so you can automatically have all of their characters (ala Blizzard's battle tag system) in your list or would you rather stick to just the specific character you add?

To expand on that. Would you want there to be a feature that lets you block the Account Tag of people that are toxic/annoying etc?

This won't happen, in short because spying is a thing and fully allowed.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101