Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Freeholds

I've just watched a development update about freeholds:
https://youtu.be/SUkEWE6kBMc?t=1025

And I'm really impressed.
I was already interested in getting one once the game is launched but also was kind of intimidated by the size (1/2 an acre) and the possible cost.
But seeing what it actually looks right it seems to be about rigth, maybe even a bit to small depending on how many things one could possibly put on it (is that really half an acre? seems way smaller than that.)
In the video you can see a House (with its interrior shown), a pond for fish, a field for crops, a little fenced off area with two horses a resting are(?) and multiple sheds in different styles. And the developers said that everything we see on the freehold is functional so I would assume that the sheeds can at least be used for storage, maybe you can even put furniture crafting stations in there.
The only negative I could see is that the horses seemed not to move around at all. Though that might be for a multitude of reasons.

Comments

• JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The only negative I could see is that the horses seemed not to move around at all. Though that might be for a multitude of reasons.

Yeah I was debating on animal husbandry because I already know there will be people min-maxing with breeding so figured I'd leave that to the pros. But seeing the barren land they were standing on in such a small space made me actually a little sad and confirmed my thoughts about not going down that profession. Stupid I know since they are fake horses in a video game, but my heart :( Don't get me wrong it's absolutely gorgeous, but the lil horsies :(

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I wouldn't worry too much about the horses right now.

It's still early in the game's development, and horses will often stay standing in the same place for a fairly long time - if not given a reason to move.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    I've just watched a development update about freeholds:
    https://youtu.be/SUkEWE6kBMc?t=1025

And I'm really impressed.
    I was already interested in getting one once the game is launched but also was kind of intimidated by the size (1/2 an acre) and the possible cost.
    But seeing what it actually looks right it seems to be about rigth, maybe even a bit to small depending on how many things one could possibly put on it (is that really half an acre? seems way smaller than that.)
    In the video you can see a House (with its interrior shown), a pond for fish, a field for crops, a little fenced off area with two horses a resting are(?) and multiple sheds in different styles. And the developers said that everything we see on the freehold is functional so I would assume that the sheeds can at least be used for storage, maybe you can even put furniture crafting stations in there.

So your freehold is going to be about .5 acres. It is going to be limited on what you put on it, but that's a part of the appeal. Choice matters.

You won't be having a freehold that does everything, you'll have to decide what you do with the space.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A half an acre isn’t really that big. An acre is 43,560 square feet. A half acre is 21,780 square feet. That seems like a lot, but that is the size in area; if it was a square lot it would be a bit under 150 feet per side. That’s a pretty good size but not huge. Another way to look at it is that a full-size grocery store in the US is around the size of an acre (40,000 square feet), while more modern stores are half that size (20,000 square feet) or pretty close to the size of a freehold. Again, not tiny but not that large.

Overall it seems like a reasonable size for a player. Big enough to hold a few things but not overwhelmingly large. I think IS hit the sweet spot.

Hhak63P.png
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have talked in the past about having pets and others on your freehold have animations they will do. Nothing confirmed. But we know some of the building skins have animations to them coming also.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg