Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hidden Quest's and data mining protection?

Hello, Its me again Asag.

First let me ask. Will this game have some kind of protection from datamining?
Im asking this, becouse im sick of that every game have leaked every information on internet

What I mean about it? ----

Will there be protection, so people wont be able to know monster, raid stats and drop lists?
Will there be protection, so people wont be able to know every single quest in game and how to get it and how to complete it, where to find loot, or etc? Spawn timers and all that stuff?

Im asking this, becouse im SICK of Quest Addons, DMG Meters, Drop Calculators, GPS like helpers etc.

Im STRONGLY againt's any outside systems that provide information. I hate when u can google every single piece of information on what to do, and where to go..

Lastly.... Will this game have any hidden mechanics and hidden quests that player could stumble upon totaly randomly?

"Example" ... U are doing quest for BlackSmiths, and you are asked to get 10 Mithril Ore, and if u get it u will get XXX XP
But when u mine a nod, there is a chance of looting Refined Mithril Ore. and basicaly, when u want to finish this quest this happend:

Quest: Bring 10* Mithir Ore - Reward 10 000 XP
Hidden Quest: Bring 10* Mithril Ore , If player has in inventory 5* Refined Mithril Ore - Reward 10 000 XP + Bonus Reward ( Mining skill +50)

Thats basicaly Idea, that player could get better HIDDEN rewards if he fullfill some conditions that are not wirten anywhere.
And there could be even chances that some hidden quests would not be found even after 5 years of game existance.

I think its really good and cool idea, that was not ever used in MMO's these day's.

So I wonder what u think about this idea, and I want to know, if this game will be FULLY DATAMINED or gradualy explored by community.
¨
222f68aa4195eb681ab20d6ba1a8ad7c247496f1ac96fc155ad97f1e9603c0ca.gif

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Asag wrote: »
    Will there be protection, so people wont be able to know monster, raid stats and drop lists?
    Will there be protection, so people wont be able to know every single quest in game and how to get it and how to complete it, where to find loot, or etc? Spawn timers and all that stuff?
    Most of this stuff in most games is obtained by players and posted to wikis.

You don't need to datamine to get this information.

Things like that hidden quest you outlined above would be noticed by players, and shared on a wiki.

• Options
    AsagAsag Member
    I dont have any problem with information shared by players after discovering it, if they want to share it to the world.

The only problem that im afraid of is datamining that would leak Full stats of monsters, full detailed spawn locations, respawn timers, full drop lists that would include even items with 0,001% drop chances ETC...

Becouse that information leak, would create a sytuation, that people would farm only the most efficient monsters , zones.. you know what I mean ..

Like in World Of Warcraft, even before new update or datadisc is out, people already know every single item in the game even before they actually droped it...

It basicaly mean, you can draw your way of exp, how to EQ your self with best stat items for your class, even before game is released... and THAT I TOTALY HATE!
  • Options
    Asag wrote: »
    THAT I TOTALY HATE!
    Yeah, so do I.

But datamining isn't the only way to achieve that. It is one way to get that information, for sure - but not the only way.

Some games simply have developers that pass this information on to players, others have test/beta servers with mechanics in place that allow players to gather this information, and some simply have massive networks of players that report everything they see, allowing accuracy of drop lists and such to that degree.

Again, datamining is one way that this information is gained, but it is not the only way.

Not having datamining won't see a game suddenly have situations where an informed player won't know about a quest - even if that quest is somewhat obscure.
  • Options
    AsagAsag Member
    noaani wrote: »
    Not having datamining won't see a game suddenly have situations where an informed player won't know about a quest - even if that quest is somewhat obscure.

Yes, True, but thats the spirit of MMORPG... Knowledge is power. But at the same time, when u have a problem with something in game, and you just google how to do it, than its boring ...

I know its my personal oppinion, but im a old school gamer, when I was playing platfrom story games, and there would be parts of "Cave or Dungeon" I actually had to draw a map on piece of paper to figurate a right way....

But today, If you found any problem like this, you will just google map of that zone and finish it in 2 minutes, but in my case I took me 1 week to get throw cave xD
    Becouse every time when I died becouse I turned wrong way, I died and dead in that game ment that I had to start from the BEGGINING OF THE WHOLE GAME ..... * Uh, that memory hurts even now *

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, I used to play games where I had to draw my own map as well.

That isn't where games are now. A game developer needs to develop content with the assumption that the player taking it on has a second monitor with a wiki open on it all the time.

Even without datamining, the data available is far greater than it was to players 20 years ago.

Edit; my hope for Ashes is that they can take this in to account, yet still manage to produce content that throws us the occasional twist. Some of their ideas seem to work towards that end.
  • Options
    I don't have any problem with data mining or sharing hidden quests. In fact I hate it when you can't; I don't understand why everyone wants to be snowflakes.
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I remember having posts in my serverforum about rare spawns, where we just posted when we killed a rare spawn and slowly narrowed down the timer.
    Datamining is just a fast track to what people do anyway. <shrug>
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't have a problem when dataminers do it correctly, and by that I mean they have a specific location they post their content and make it known that there will be spoiler information. In FFXIV there were a few dataminers who would gather and record a bunch of information, but they always would post to their specific reddit thread...thing (I don't use reddit) and would make it very clear that it would contain spoilers.

I never read them so information was never spoiled for me. I know a lot of people would rather have as much information as possible and all I'd ask is they don't share it if people don't want to know.

Otherwise, play how you like. Learn what you want. But don't spoil the fun for how the other side decides to play.