Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What made an MMO "click" for you?

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Do you have any memories of what made your favorite MMO click for you? When did you realize, or why did you realize this was a game that you loved?

For me it was probably in WoW when me and a bunch of friends managed to siege an enemy city and hold it for an hour before slowly being overwhelmed one by one.

Comments

• Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    Vanilla wow was not my first MMO but it really clicked for me back in the early days when it took time to level, that first horse had to be scrimped and saved for, dungeons required attunments in some cases. Made some good friends in some great guilds but all good things come to an end and wow had changed too much for my taste by Cata.
    My favourite game that had some of the best crafting and open world feel was Vanguard for me.

Edit.
    AOC has by far the most potential to blow all of the games I have played before out of the water if the team are able to bring all of their concepts to reality.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    My fav mmorpg was Line][Age.
    All the boys in my neighbourhood were playing it as well as many boys from many highschools in the city.

Real life friends adventuring for the first time virtually. Until then it was player 1 and player 2 on PS2, stage by stage only 2 boys would finish the game.

With L2 it was 10+ boys playing all together or against others. Open world, interaction with anything, freestyle exploring instead of being led by a questline.

AoC clicked to me because it promises to bring back open world, as opposed to the other mmorpgs that made the genre instanced 'stages' in the form of dungeon runs. Select from a screen while you are at a city, loading screen and there you are, inside a stage. Both PvE and PvP.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Greatest mmo memory took place playing classic wow (it was during the BC area but classic content) I was playing a Alliance Warlock and just hit 150 first aid so I traveled out to Arathi Highlands to get my first aid book. I got my book along with another player (I dont recall what his class was) we were both about to head out and suddenly we ran into a full 5 man group of horde players doing a quest there. Naturally they decided to gank us so we ran. 2 vs 5 and I was a total noob at the time we had no shot of survival......luckily there were elites in the area of the first aid book who were friendly to the alliance so we used them as a shield. We played a little cat and mouse for a solid 10 minutes or so when I got lucky with a fear. The path the fear spell made the horde player run pulled multiple of the elites. The other alliance member and myself took the opportunity to attack. With the help of the elites we managed to wipe the full party. I can only imagine how pissed the horde players were lol.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    First taste was sneaking play time during school to play runescape in the computer labs. Then it locked in when i walked into Orgrimmar for the first time to see all the activity of actual players running about. Loved the genre ever since.
  • Options
    ArvandorArvandor Member
    edited July 2020
    The land and people and forest and mountains.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    I’ve played countless MMOs so I could have many examples but I think LotRO is the best one. Precisely because I had originally played it in beta, found it boring (and a huge disappointment since I was a big LotR fan) and wrote it off. I then tried it again later and loved it, and ended up playing for years.

What made the difference between love and boredom was the atmosphere. In beta I rolled a dwarf and started in the Blue Mountains. Everything was dour, bland, shades of brown and grey. There were few NPCs and they were uninteresting. I just got bored.

Later, when I gave it another chance I rolled a hobbit who starts in the Shire. It was like a totally different game. Everything was bright and green, there were NPCs just living their normal lives, it felt like a cozy and warm place. Quests involved things like delivering mail or helping a beekeeper fight off a bear. It was like a living world I would want to be in. Later, when I gained enough levels to go explore the world it felt so amazing to go from a quiet place with small problems to an epic adventure fighting horrors in exotic places, terrifying caves and forests, even blatant hellscapes.

If it wasn’t for trying another character on a whim I likely would never have gotten into that game. It’s amazing that what may seem like superficial and unimportant features in a game can mean the difference between a great time and a chore.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Burning Crusade with a subtley blood elf rogue.
    I learned that I could theoretically stunlock someone for more than minutes by handling all my stuns and incapacite abilities.

I spent most of my time in Wow outside of Ogrimmar dueling and pushing my technique to the limit.

-Cdr management.
    -Disminishing return management.
    -Depth in timing.
    -Finesse in execution.
    -Broad in quantity of skills.
    -Moving around the enemy.

Every duel was a challenge of knowledge about skills, strategy, decision making and timing.
    No other class could stunlock, and few rogues could shuffle cdrs and DR.
    There was knowledge and finesse.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    There was knowledge and finesse.
    If you thought WoW ever had a need for knowledge and/or finesse, then I'd love to see how you react to the 7 or so skill trees that each character has to make use of in EQ2.

That game required knowledge - WoW required being able to read a dozen tool tips.

• Options
    Luckily, quantity was never the synnonym of quality.
  • Options
    Luckily, quantity was never the synnonym of quality.

While true, WoW had neither.

Shallowest, simplest MMO combat to date.
  • Options
    20 years of domination and billons of dollars. Everything good has to come to an end.
  • Options
    20 years of domination and billons of dollars. Everything good has to come to an end.

McDonalds has also dominated it's industry.

It's easy to find a better burger though.
  • Options
    Better is subjetive until you dominate.
  • Options
    Better is subjetive until you dominate.

Again true.

However, in the case of both above examples, the only people that would think they are the best are people that have never tried any other examples in their respective catagory.
  • Options
    Luckily I never said Wow was the best.
  • Options

If you know something is not better, and someone tells you of something in that same catagory that you have not tried, best you not make comments on it until you try it.

This is something you did do.
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    noaani wrote: »

If you know something is not better, and someone tells you of something in that same catagory that you have not tried, best you not make comments on it until you try it.

This is something you did do.

Yes, yes we get it you don't like WoW.
  • Options
    I like WoW. I don’t think it’s the best game, I don’t even play it anymore. But I played it for years and I had a lot of fun.

Saying it has never required any sort of finesse or knowledge is elitist snobbery. It took me a crap ton of practice and work to get my Rogue DPS to be up to par in endgame WotLK. It was one of the hardest things I ever did in an MMO.

Frankly, I think that the person who puts words into other posters’ mouths that they never said is the one who should refrain from further comment.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I like WoW.

WoW has it's good points - it has always been the most polished MMO on the market.

However, one can't really argue the fact that over the course of its existence, WoW has gone to great pains to reduce class build options and complexity, while other games have gone to great pains to increase it without overloading players at any one point

It is at the point now where no one can look at WoW and think that it takes knowledge and finesse in comparison to any other MMO.

WotLK was the last expansion it could be claimed to not be massively behind other games in this specific regard.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I like WoW.

WoW has it's good points - it has always been the most polished MMO on the market.

However, one can't really argue the fact that over the course of its existence, WoW has gone to great pains to reduce class build options and complexity, while other games have gone to great pains to increase it without overloading players at any one point

It is at the point now where no one can look at WoW and think that it takes knowledge and finesse in comparison to any other MMO.

WotLK was the last expansion it could be claimed to not be massively behind other games in this specific regard.
    Yes, WoW is very dumbed-down now. (It definitely wasn’t always that way.) I’ve seen that happen to many RPGs. It happened to SWG when they wanted it to resemble WoW, it happened to SWTOR, it happened to The Secret World when it was redone as Secret World Legends (though that also turned it from tab target to an aimed reticle UI and ended up better).

MMO publishers figured out that lowering themselves to appeal to the lowest common denominator can open them to a wider audience, and potentially get more customers. It’s also what has changed the industry from mostly being subscription-based to being free to play with microtransactions and often pay to win consequences.

I guess we all need to hope that AoC avoids that fate. Hopefully it can succeed by being different, and being better.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I like WoW.

Yes, WoW is very dumbed-down now. (It definitely wasn’t always that way.) I’ve seen that happen to many RPGs. It happened to SWG when they wanted it to resemble WoW, it happened to SWTOR, it happened to The Secret World when it was redone as Secret World Legends (though that also turned it from tab target to an aimed reticle UI and ended up better).

MMO publishers figured out that lowering themselves to appeal to the lowest common denominator can open them to a wider audience, and potentially get more customers. It’s also what has changed the industry from mostly being subscription-based to being free to play with microtransactions and often pay to win consequences.

I guess we all need to hope that AoC avoids that fate. Hopefully it can succeed by being different, and being better.
    While this is all true, it hasn't happened to all games - or all IP's.

Both EQ games are as complex and deep as ever. While it may be possible to look at the population in those games as proof that developers need to dumb their games down, I would argue that the fact that both games are still live and still getting regular full expansions says otherwise - with EQ having a total of 26 expansions to date and EQ2 having 16. At 21 and (almost) 16 years old respectively, and based on the troubles of the parent companies these games have had since Sony sold them, the fact that they are still going does say there is a place for a more complex, deep game.

It is the fact that both EQ games have stuck to their ideal of being a game that takes time to excel at that sees me talk about both of them here (and in other places) often. Both games deserve far more credit than they are given, even if just for the fact that they refuse to dumb themselves down.

The main reason I am even looking at Ashes as a potential game to play is because there are a number of develoeprs in the team that worked on EQ games - including one or two key people.
  • Options
    I should check out LotRO sometime. They did swap to F2P at one point (which saved the game from being shut down) but kept the complexity. I wonder if that’s still true. It definitely felt more complicated than EQ2 was. (And EQ was never that complex, though you can’t blame it, it was one of the earliest MMOs. Wow I have so much nostalgia for it.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As odd as it sounds but Runescape was the first MMO that I played that I loved to play 24/7. I had played over MMOs before like Everquest, Lineage and WoW but none of them grabbed me as Runescape did
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    As odd as it sounds but Runescape was the first MMO that I played that I loved to play 24/7. I had played over MMOs before like Everquest, Lineage and WoW but none of them grabbed me as Runescape did

I don't find that odd at all, to be honest.

I would rate Runescape as one of the top 10 MMO's out there - I rate it higher than EQ, and much higher than WoW (surprise to no one there).