Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AoC will currently be 100% pay to win, but how do we stop it?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I get the idea that the headstart isn't fair. But some will just have more time to play than others. Some are streamers/youtubers, they could play this for a living. Others have a full time job. Are students (who might have a job). Some do sports. Some have children etc
  • Options
    CaerylCaeryl Member
    insomnia wrote: »
    I get the idea that the headstart isn't fair. But some will just have more time to play than others. Some are streamers/youtubers, they could play this for a living. Others have a full time job. Are students (who might have a job). Some do sports. Some have children etc

The head start in Ashes will have no node progression which means the potential to have unfair advantage is basically nil. The headstart is there to make sure the game has no last-minute launch issues.
  • Options
    DrEpochDrEpoch Member, Phoenix Initiative
    Money or personal wealth should be irrelevant to an online video game. A game, to have fun, unwind, or beat other players, if you're competitive like that.

When you can use real money to gain knowledge in a game, for personal profit, you're paying to win. The comment earlier I made about headstart still stands, and unfortunately there is no way around it. It's just how it's going to be.

Arguing that life ain't fair, has no relevancy to a video game. No matter how rich or poor you are.

While I agree, this horse has been beaten to a pulp now, and the smallest thing that's barely an issue is labeled as pay to win. If it involves real money, it's still pay to win.

With that said, only way you can stop pay to win headstart is.. to well. Cancel headstart. Could always dodge the headstart server, like I will probably do. Maybe :)
  • Options
    Would it be possible to close this thread and start a new?
  • Options
    Marzzo wrote: »
    How do we stop people from buying items, endgame boosts, pvp boosts for real life money?

How will we stop people from buying billions of gold and using them to buy best in slot gear for their whole guild?

How will we stop people from real word bribing themselves into positions of power in the game or maybe even to corrupt stage 5 city leaders?

How will your guild compete on a server where all top guilds use their credit card?

I have never seen a game manage to do this? Do you have any ideas on how to stop this?

For example, in wow today, 99.99% of every single messege in trade chat is boosts in some form. In just 10 minutes, there are 100+ boost offers. Almost every single one of them will either offer you to pay with ingame gold, or with real life cash (on discord ofc). This is extremly common. How should we combat this?

This is what you will see 1 month after launch of AoC if we don't do something.

ex71udvbmop01.png

1. You cannot buy gold, items, boosts or pvp boosts from the shop. It is cosmetic only. Buying it from players I assume would be a breach of the ToS and cheating, therefor actionable.
    2. That's cheating. I assume they will be banned for cheating.
    3. You can't put systems in place to stop anyone from doing that, but again it would be cheating so hopefully they would be banned if it can be proven.
    4. Use their credit card for what? You're making powerful assumptions here.
    5. I have. It was stopped by moderation/game masters.
    6. Using fake statistics really undermines the legitimacy of your post. 99.9% of every single message in trade chat is not boosts in some form, and offering in-game help for in-game currency is valid. WoW is instanced content and we were promised none of that, so if you hear of someone shouting about wanting to 'carry' someone through a 'dungeon' .. Just follow them and kill them? Everyone will know where they are, because they just told everyone.
    7. Do something about what? I agree with you, that those things are awful and I'm afraid they'll show up too! But so far what reason do you have for thinking they exist/will exist in AoC? The developers have been very vocal about their strong opposition to these practices.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ^ lol what that guy said.
    Literally can't be stopped. Unless you cut out trading and make it a single player progression experience. That kills the meaning behind a massively online role playing game doesn't it? :/
  • Options
    BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    I assume this is just another troll post, but why is Ashes p2w?
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Since most people even those who hate it know about wow I will use them as an example...I don't care if someone wastes money buying gold...gold doesn't get you the best stuff...I do care about the guy who pays money for carries and then has tons of drops from dungeons on level 15 when he can't even carry his own weight in a level 4 dungeon. I don't like it when someone is in my group that should be able to carry like no other and instead has to be carried as you know exactly how he got that gear. As for how to fix this? As long as 4 great players can complete with a useless 5th, or 37 great players can complete with 3 useless players there will sadly be no fix.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Since most people even those who hate it know about wow I will use them as an example...I don't care if someone wastes money buying gold...gold doesn't get you the best stuff...I do care about the guy who pays money for carries and then has tons of drops from dungeons on level 15 when he can't even carry his own weight in a level 4 dungeon. I don't like it when someone is in my group that should be able to carry like no other and instead has to be carried as you know exactly how he got that gear. As for how to fix this? As long as 4 great players can complete with a useless 5th, or 37 great players can complete with 3 useless players there will sadly be no fix.

In practice I've run 40 man raids with 30 people. I've ran 24 man raids with 12 and I've solo'd 24 man raids (Tier 1) with tier 6 armour. It is impossible to plan for slackers and eventually armour and weapons outstrip the earlier content. This will probably become common place due to the planned expansions where armour and weapons will increase in potency with the new challenges.

The dungeon mechanics can prevent this but we know very little about the dungeon mechanics or the raids. We've only seen a Lizard-like boss, a Dragon and a Brood Queen so far.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The closest fix I ever saw was wildstar where in order to get into the raids you had to get gold in every dungeon on max level and if 1 single person died 1 single time in the dungeon the best anyone could get was silver. Meaning you had to get though evey dungeon on max level under the time limit without skipping any bosses and without a single person dieing even once. This made carrying very hard as while you can 4 man the boss can you 4 man the boss without the useless dieing or leashing the boss being too far away? Of course the side effect of this was it was so hard to key most could not and those that could didn't want to go near a key run with someone who might die in there. IMO it made keying harder than the raid you were keying for.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am not sure how difficult the combat in this game will be to learn but one of the biggest trends in games is that better gear is locked behind harder content. So part of getting that gear is also getting experience by completing that content. This experience can sometimes be more beneficial than the gear itself.

Looking at ESO one of the main peices of content that you can buy a carry for is called Veteran Dragonstar Arena. This content drops one of the best healing items in the gane. One of the mechanics in this arena involves a boss fight where the healer needs to slot a taunt and to tank the boss while still healing the party. Having to learn this teaches healers alot about how to be more survivable.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    Marzzo wrote: »
    For example, in wow today, 99.99% of every single messege in trade chat is boosts in some form. In just 10 minutes, there are 100+ boost offers. Almost every single one of them will either offer you to pay with ingame gold, or with real life cash (on discord ofc). This is extremly common. How should we combat this?

Well I think AoC innately does a good job in countering this. Think about it - the value of Gold will vary between nodes, meaning Boosters would have a hard time in creating a "market". You cant really pay ING currency as 100g in one node/server would yield differently in another. This leaves only IRL money. But realistically if the estimations of "4-6hrs a day across 45 days" of gameplay to max, the boosters will likely either be caught or out of business as it wouldn't be viable model as you still need to pay $15 for sub.

Ofc, theres no way to completely eradicate this. Only mitigate and I think innately AoC does a good job.
  • Options
    The closest fix I ever saw was wildstar where in order to get into the raids you had to get gold in every dungeon on max level and if 1 single person died 1 single time in the dungeon the best anyone could get was silver. Meaning you had to get though evey dungeon on max level under the time limit without skipping any bosses and without a single person dieing even once. This made carrying very hard as while you can 4 man the boss can you 4 man the boss without the useless dieing or leashing the boss being too far away? Of course the side effect of this was it was so hard to key most could not and those that could didn't want to go near a key run with someone who might die in there. IMO it made keying harder than the raid you were keying for.

+1 for the WS reference lol.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    @Marzzo bro change that thread title. The cash shop doesnt have transactional items or boosts.
    We are getting new ppl in, and seing such a false post in first page is bad.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Since most people even those who hate it know about wow I will use them as an example...I don't care if someone wastes money buying gold...gold doesn't get you the best stuff.

One issue with this is that in Ashes, everything will be able to be traded, so gold does buy the best stuff.
  • Options
    tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Marzzo bro change that thread title. The cash shop doesnt have transactional items or boosts.

100% agree. This should be modded even @Alluring @Punthulhu @Zii

Virtue is the only good.
  • Options
    Srdjan91Srdjan91 Member
    edited July 2020
    There wont be anything p2w related in AoC. It will be monthly sub with cosmetics.
    And if needed for more support they can add in shop AoC collectibles (scaled statues of world bosses and so on), merchandise, accessories, etc... which doesnt affect gameplay at all.

Mr Sharif and Dev team have played lots of mmo's and they know that p2w can do more harm to the game than good.

I have played a lot of mmo's since 2007 and I have seen how p2w destroys mmo games.
    AoC team wont gonna do that.
  • Options
    ReinaldoNSReinaldoNS Member
    edited July 2020
    OP has no idea what P2W means and it generated already 3 pages of people trying to convince he is wrong about something that far from existence on AoC and WoW.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    Since most people even those who hate it know about wow I will use them as an example...I don't care if someone wastes money buying gold...gold doesn't get you the best stuff.

One issue with this is that in Ashes, everything will be able to be traded, so gold does buy the best stuff.

Well if everything can be traded and never binds then you are right it will be 100% who has the most cash.
    If there is no BOP why raid when you can just trade for the item as organzing a 40 man raid is a headache. Having nothing bind would be a terrible mistake
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    tugowar wrote: »

100% agree. This should be modded even @Alluring @Punthulhu @Zii

please action this!
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Well if everything can be traded and never binds then you are right it will be 100% who has the most cash.
    If there is no BOP why raid when you can just trade for the item as organzing a 40 man raid is a headache. Having nothing bind would be a terrible mistake

In order to buy, you have to first have someone willing to sell.

With item degredation being a thing in Ashes, raid guilds will likely be unwilling to part with materials they likely will need down the road.
  • Options

The game will have a real economy, something WoW hasn't had in over a decade.
  • Options
    Just because people are selling runs does not make it p2w.
    Even if guilds started to sell runs it would not be p2w unless they add a coin like WoW does, that allows players to pay real money to then sell for gold, to then take that gold to buy runs for gear. That's when its p2w in my opinion. So for me WoWs token is p2w, since it can allow players to buy dungeon runs to get gear.

So I'm okay if people buy dungeon runs in ashes, mainly if they had to grind for that gold in order to buy said run. I know people will buy gold but every MMO has that and it's very difficult to stop it. But listening to what Steven Sharif said about gold sellers during Asmongolds stream gave me hope that they will work hard on slowing down or even stopping the gold sellers. Botters in WoW run rampant, mainly because Activblizzard does nothing to ban them.
  • Options
    AlluringAlluring Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread Closed for misinformation.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.