Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mercenary/soldier/sellsword fantasy

TacualeonTacualeon Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Some people gather, others fight. Is there a way of making a living out of the arts of war? Violence is a craft!

Could we have a in-game militaristic narrative for social climbing, specially in military nodes.

916f2d612a19c560ac61caee2020350bf2149de0_hq.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There is going to be a bounty hunter progression path.

Seems about what you are after.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm sure players will pay you to protect their caravans, and hunt for bounties. As for a full-blown military....meh, people have done it in RP servers in other games and, I don't know I always found it rather boring. Anyone who has actually been in the military irl will likely tell you that military service is 90% boredom, 10% terror.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    When I played Star Wars Galaxies, you didn’t have classes, you had professions you mixed and matched. (I’m talking the original game, not the abomination it later became.) You could be good with a pistol or a sword, or you might play music or build droids.

I was a pure combat player, and people would sometimes ask me if I crafted. I’d always tell them yes, I do. I make dead people out of living ones.

(I think @Nagash would consider that a gathering profession in his line of work.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    When I played Star Wars Galaxies, you didn’t have classes, you had professions you mixed and matched. (I’m talking the original game, not the abomination it later became.) You could be good with a pistol or a sword, or you might play music or build droids.

I was a pure combat player, and people would sometimes ask me if I crafted. I’d always tell them yes, I do. I make dead people out of living ones.

(I think @Nagash would consider that a gathering profession in his line of work.)

I'm a big fan of murder and delivery
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm sure players will pay you to protect their caravans, and hunt for bounties. As for a full-blown military....meh, people have done it in RP servers in other games and, I don't know I always found it rather boring. Anyone who has actually been in the military irl will likely tell you that military service is 90% boredom, 10% terror.

I like Hema and sexy combat animations more than actual military service.
    I like the fantasy of medieval military.

Today military is peak eficiency.
    Even early renassaince was efficient.
    Big groups of faceless people using pole weapones or range.

A combat move irl has to be sutble, a combat move in videogame has to be announced.
    Efficient ancient/medieval combat was more about groups than individuals.