Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Non-hierarchical social organising

cromcruachcromcruach Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hello there.

Everything I learned so far about this game, since I am following the development process from early on, sounds really appealing. I appreciate many design choices. I wanted to join the discussion by voicing a major concern I have though.

Most MMORPG's guild systems favour strictly hierarchically organised guilds. This leads to a lot of infighting, abuse of power and a generally unpleasant playing environment. I wondered whether it'd be possible to have choices for how one wants to have a guild they found structured, without specific roles (master, officers, ...) being made necessary by the game prior. So they could choose a blueprint for a more hierarchical organisation or a blueprint for a more democratic or even a genuine egalitarian and anti-authoritarian guild environment. What I always found unappealing by MMORPG guilds are just the hierarchical ways of organising - that are too often implied or at least too strongly benefited by the game mechanics.

Have a nice day.

Comments

• Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Guilds must have a singular leader due to the castle siege mechanism, channeling and most of all regional kings.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    TheBlackLambTheBlackLamb Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Jahlon would there be a way to make a mutiny to take leader ship of an active guild :smiley: ? I think it be interesting to have the ability to enact a vote or something on your guild, Maybe have different types of guild forms? Or a Inactive Leader system that would allow such a thing If your guild leader has been Inactive for like Months or a year or more?
    F6lQFCc.png
  • Options
    @Jahlon would there be a way to make a mutiny to take leader ship of an active guild :smiley: ? I think it be interesting to have the ability to enact a vote or something on your guild, Maybe have different types of guild forms? Or a Inactive Leader system that would allow such a thing If your guild leader has been Inactive for like Months or a year or more?

true but spingot doobie wanna doo?
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One

So, given that Ashes of Creation is going to be a game built around guilds, I imagine that they will allow some sort of ticket request if your guild leader suddenly disappears for 3+ months.

Some games do, some games don't. This is something I'm sure Intrepid will look into.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »

So, given that Ashes of Creation is going to be a game built around guilds, I imagine that they will allow some sort of ticket request if your guild leader suddenly disappears for 3+ months.

Some games do, some games don't. This is something I'm sure Intrepid will look into.
    nay woodn say that it's more like in guan do popadop.
  • Options
    Guilds must have a singular leader due to the castle siege mechanism, channeling and most of all regional kings.

Alright, hard pass on the game then. Enjoy your social hierarchy simulator.
  • Options
    cromcruach wrote: »

Crazy thought. Make a guild that does not do things you dont like.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »

Crazy thought. Make a guild that does not do things you dont like.

Hell I know plenty of guilds who have a group as leaders instead if just one its not that uncommon
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

Thanks for that. Gave me a good chuckle. :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

If you're in a guild with a leader that would do the things you are concerned about, you have no one to blame but yourself.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited December 2020

You can still just manage your guild democratically, including making decisions on how to use the mechanics linked to someone in the 'leader' position.

If the mechanics around leaders for sieges and mayoral duties really bothers you, there's still like the remaining 95% of the game content your guild could enjoy using any social structure you want - just treat people with access to guild features as having administrative positions.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hello there.

Everything I learned so far about this game, since I am following the development process from early on, sounds really appealing. I appreciate many design choices. I wanted to join the discussion by voicing a major concern I have though.

Most MMORPG's guild systems favour strictly hierarchically organised guilds. This leads to a lot of infighting, abuse of power and a generally unpleasant playing environment. I wondered whether it'd be possible to have choices for how one wants to have a guild they found structured, without specific roles (master, officers, ...) being made necessary by the game prior. So they could choose a blueprint for a more hierarchical organisation or a blueprint for a more democratic or even a genuine egalitarian and anti-authoritarian guild environment. What I always found unappealing by MMORPG guilds are just the hierarchical ways of organising - that are too often implied or at least too strongly benefited by the game mechanics.

Have a nice day.

This system of guilds is how I created Council. The way my guild works is pretty great IMO. I am the guild leader but I have 6 players in the "council" rank. They are effectively guild leaders who share responsibility helping members, recruiting, making admin decisions. AOC is great because it gives the WHOLE guild the opportunity to really make decisions together. Where we live and area to build up or siege is decided as a guild.

Below this is class officer in charge of training their players in that class. I am planning another rank of officer as well (probably 3....one for each artisan path). Then we have raiders, members and anything else that may come along with how AOC plays.

With this system, loot is never an issue because those raiding already know that being greedy just isn't a thing. If we work together, loot will come. Class officers and raiders decide where loot goes. If something happens to me or a council player, there are still leaders to run the guild.

I have been in guilds where the title "guild leader" was just a name and everyone ran the guild together. Yeah those guilds died quick. No organization, nothing to look up to, nobody cared to help recruit, and everyone just wanted to log in and have something in front of them to do. It's silly.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Hello there.

Have a nice day.

This system of guilds is how I created Council. The way my guild works is pretty great IMO. I am the guild leader but I have 6 players in the "council" rank. They are effectively guild leaders who share responsibility helping members, recruiting, making admin decisions. AOC is great because it gives the WHOLE guild the opportunity to really make decisions together. Where we live and area to build up or siege is decided as a guild.

Below this is class officer in charge of training their players in that class. I am planning another rank of officer as well (probably 3....one for each artisan path). Then we have raiders, members and anything else that may come along with how AOC plays.

With this system, loot is never an issue because those raiding already know that being greedy just isn't a thing. If we work together, loot will come. Class officers and raiders decide where loot goes. If something happens to me or a council player, there are still leaders to run the guild.

I have been in guilds where the title "guild leader" was just a name and everyone ran the guild together. Yeah those guilds died quick. No organization, nothing to look up to, nobody cared to help recruit, and everyone just wanted to log in and have something in front of them to do. It's silly.

BUt HiERaRcHieS aRE bAd.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu