A new face with some questions

First off I would like to say that if this thread is posted in the wrong section or this topic does not belong on these forums at all; Feel free to tell me so and I will scrap / delete / label the thread quickly so it does not stand around for too long.

Greetings - My name is Rexxgrim and I am someone who has been really on the fence regarding Ashes of Creation since I first heard about it back in 2017/2018 - And after having just watched for some years; I figured it was about time to make an account and ask some questions; questions that when I tried to look for answers on Google / Youtube / Twitter / The Ahses-Wiki simply left me confused as some info was conflicting with other bits and for the most part; I've had more luck with threads like these where I simply ask the community dirrectly.

Having been severely disappointed over mostly any MMORPG release / update in the past 6 years; Ashes of Creation currently stands as the only thing of interest besides the upcoming Shadowlands expansion for WoW which with it's Rogue-Like infinite tower and sudden development team "change of heart" with how they approach the entire game; being something that may pull me in.

I really want Ashes of Creation to be successful, but I am not about to "Risk big" when the odds of being bitten in the a** is something that has happened far too often; So I would like to ask this community a couple of questions:

1: What do the delvers of this forum currently think of the state of the game? Does it look promising? Is there anything you really feel is integral to the success of this game that the developers has shed no light on / has shown no signs currently of working with?

2: I read somewhere that supposedly Ashes of Creation the MMO is suppose to launch (Full launch, not just a Alpha / Beta Lunch) in 2020? While I can't say I found anything about this on their official Twitter page - Because I hardly use Twitter and suck at navigating it; i can't say for certain that I have been able to rummage trough enough posts to confirm if this is true or not. Like by the looks of Alpha / Beta content I doubt this myself but... with the current track record of MMO's going to the ground in recent years; I am kind off asking this and HOPING the answer is: "No, it wont be released in like 2 years at least"

3: Is this list trustworthy? https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Release_schedule

3.5: And if so: Does that mean that if I purchase the Voyager Pre-Order Package; I will be granted access to the Alpha 2 stage that is currently listed without a confirmed date but by the metrics; Should be out somewhere after fall 2020? PS: I know that by this list and the dates; there is no way that Ashes of Creation's MMO will release in 2020 but seen as I don't know if this list is trustworthy; I wanted to ask.

4: How does things seem to be on the "balance" side of things when it comes to classes? While the game according to the lists here is not further than Alpha; One of the two thing which as an onlooker; concerns me the most about this game would be Class Balance. A game with this many classes sounds like an absolute nightmare to be balanced and just looking at WoW and it's current 36 specs; Having this wide array of classes seems like it's a recipe for disaster unless the developers legit is going for a:

A: Solution where they will just by the BASE numbers balance things out and just let it be up to how much crazy s*** the players that string together

B: Just let everything be OP to some extent and live with that "When everyone is OP, no one is OP."

C: The solution that NO Development team seems to ever be able of doing; Patch the game regularly enough as to make sure that no set / specific class(es) are dominating for ages.

5: Does anyone have any idea how this game will look "server" wise? With the Node and Profession system: Ashes seems to become a community heavy game which I would love! By all means! But say that game launch comes and there is a HEFTY magnitude of open servers; but the player numbers are lower than expected; Does this not stand the risk of servers having so few people that getting these massive Guild VS Guild or castle siege like battles for nodes going? This question may be a bit ahead of its time if the game wont be out in many a years still but yeah, I was wondering if anyone knew if there had been some info about this? Since again; while I would love a community heavy game; does it not stand the risk of dying on the spot of it releases with: Too many servers and too few people or Too few servers with too many people? I suppose some "cross server" system could work to fix this but yeah, figured I'd ask and see.

Thanks in advance for any answers I am given - And with that as well: Thanks for reading trough this full thread. Again: if something here is against the rules / TOS: Notify me so I can delete / flag my own post right away.

I am sorry if I come across as somewhat skeptical in this thread; I just really want Ashes to be successful but I have simply been burnt too many times to put faith into something unless I get to see / hear something that puts the bigger concerns to rest / questions be answered.

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    1. The State of the game is Alpha. The state of the game isn't a ready to launch product but shows great promise.
    2. The full release has been delayed. We do not have a set release date at this time. Alpha 1 started in May.
    3. The list appears accurate but you can see it is not complete. We have no launch date at this time.
    4. We haven't seen all of the classes. Balance seems non-existent at present.
    4a Zergs will be difficult due to no fast travel. Zergs will still happen most likely.
    4a Sieges have windows, castle sieges have reservations.
    4b Not clear how OP people will be. Latest 4k video had people being one-shot by GMs though.
    4c The game gets regular updates and patches at present - its in development. After release patch schedule is unclear.
    5. Servers will be opened when needed, merged when needed and filled when need to my knowledge.

Edit: Science Nodes will have fast travel, i believe at Metropolis Level but I'm not a fountain of unlimited knowledge, merely a player.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    Soon A1 will begin. By the end of 2020 we will have a much clearer view to answer many of your questions.
    There wont be NDA so a lot of youtubers and streamers will show stuff on their vids.

I love that the game wont be instanced, but rather open world, in which guilds and towns fight for their interests, as opposed to mindless faction wars like in eso and wow.

We dont have solid info on classes and combat. Just the idea of the systems.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    1. Yes the game looks promising but is a long way from completion. Hell we haven't even seen all 8 classes yet. Still, what we have seen so far has looked good.
    2. Back when the game was first announced, they put a full release date for 2020. This was a huge oversight and since then the developers have been very careful to only put dates out when they are sure they can meet them.
    3. Yes. The wiki is kept as up to date as possible and verified by highly trusted members of the community.
    3.5. Correct. It's likely we'll go into Alpha 2 testing sometime next year.
    4. As stated above, so far we've only seen 3 of the 8 playable classes, so we're a long way from balancing anything. The devs have stated that class balance will be done from a group perspective rather than a 1v1 perspective.
    5. This is something the devs will be looking at closer to launch. They are aware of the potential problems and have said they will do server merges as a last resort to keep things balanced server-wise. There is no cross-server function planned right now.

We have all been burnt too many times in the past, but I am still hopeful that it will succeed. At the end of the day all we can do is trust in Intrepid and wait to see what happens. Oh also, if you haven't already you might like to join the Ashes official discord: https://discord.gg/susmgWZ
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Thank you all so much for the answers! Nice to see that the forums has attracted individuals that are informed on the game. Far to often do I see and experience threads along these lines getting drowned out or garnering no attention but it was nice to see not only rapid replies but informative ones as well - Again; Thank you all so much for the answers!