Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What would you think about Skills found/obtained through rare mobs/raids/Dungeons/World Bosses?

This is an idea I had just looking at some AoC footage which is basically a couple of high level skills or even max level skills you can obtain through killing rare mobs, doing raids, dungeons or kill world bosses. This could look like a one time use "Skill Scroll" bringing a spell to the next level or giving you a whole new skill. I think the exclusivity given by the limited amount dropped would give a really nice feeling of accomplishment when gotten and even more goals to work towards as a single player or also as a guild.

What do you think about the idea? Please let me know.
~ I AM NOT YOUR CAT! >:c

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    That is a ton of work for developers to do, for a very small segment of the population.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    There are 2 problems lets say raid boss X drops skill Y sometimes.
    1) You could have the node next to the one that even allows that raid to appear, to be blocking that nodes progression to where your server doesn't even have the raid that it drops in.
    2) Either the skill is amazing or its not. If it's not there no reason to get it and a waste of time. If it is amazing anyone of that class who is on a server that can't get that node up to get the raid avilable will be crippled compared to other servers where that class can get in that raid and get it. Now you have not only class balance to worry about but even the same class will be different strenghts on different servers. So would you balance assuming people can get it and have all of class Z be underpowered on all the other servers who can't get it? or balance on them not having it and them be OP on servers where they can get it?
    IMO no skills or items that you can't get something very simular to, should be put any place where it could be impossible to aquire depending on which way your individual server developed.
  • Options
    JaneJane Member
    edited July 2020
    Aardvark wrote: »
    There are 2 problems lets say raid boss X drops skill Y sometimes.
    1) You could have the node next to the one that even allows that raid to appear, to be blocking that nodes progression to where your server doesn't even have the raid that it drops in.
    2) Either the skill is amazing or its not. If it's not there no reason to get it and a waste of time. If it is amazing anyone of that class who is on a server that can't get that node up to get the raid avilable will be crippled compared to other servers where that class can get in that raid and get it. Now you have not only class balance to worry about but even the same class will be different strenghts on different servers. So would you balance assuming people can get it and have all of class Z be underpowered on all the other servers who can't get it? or balance on them not having it and them be OP on servers where they can get it?
    IMO no skills or items that you can't get something very simular to, should be put any place where it could be impossible to aquire depending on which way your individual server developed.

I see your concerns and I understand where it could lead to some imbalances now what I think is to be considered:
    1) The skills dropped don't have to be unique i.e. if you have a skill which allows you to dash towards someone you could have a skill with a different animation. Apart from cosmetics you could change the nature of said skill. When you had an aoe fire spell you could get the skill scroll for the same skill but with blue flames instead changing the spells nature to frost. Giving diversion and situational advantage.

2) From my understanding nodes change throughout the life of a server meaning they can grow and well... "wither"?! Meaning they will free up raids over time or you can effectively work on "destroying" a node to get to a specific raid.

3) I don't think a single skill if balanced correctly would be able to give people a giant advantage as long as it's not something like "they can have teleportation and they can't cause they didn't do the raid" ya know.

Now I might be wrong about it since I am just learning about the game but I think it would be manageable if those conditions were given.
  • Options
    JaneJane Member
    Jahlon wrote: »
    That is a ton of work for developers to do, for a very small segment of the population.

I can see it it being a lot of work, that is true. Personally I would love to see something like this tho to give a little exclusivity to skills