Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Worried about Embers

Super hyped about Ashes after seeing it on Asmon's yt, signed up but then noticed Embers, it says no P2W but after having a good look around I can't actually see what embers can buy you.

Obviously giving the game the benefit of the doubt for now but after being burnt with so many other games saying no p2w, then after some time it is p2w I think us newbies to the game need some reassurance about Embers.

Any post anywhere where it lays out exactly what can be bought with embers, and what the future plan for the ember system is?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please see the wiki:

Ashes of Creation wiki has a wealth of information for starters and there are hours of livestreams you could also peruse.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Currency

Ashes of Creation is no p2w. Ashes should remain no p2w. BDO had issues with Whalers but I won't get into Mega Guilds here. Cosmetics will be sold in the cash shop.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    You're 100% not the only one that saw the currency and got a bit shaken so no worries!

just as Neurath said, ashes' 'cash shop' is ENTIRELY cosmetic.
    they're quite fabulous too.

welcome to the community :D
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just name one MMO that does not have a cosmetic cash shop
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

True but I could name dozens that said it would be a cosmetic shop and ended up being a ptw shop
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

True but I could name dozens that said it would be a cosmetic shop and ended up being a ptw shop

Very true that's why we have to hold them to their word
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    A lot of people were worried about Embers, but as long as the cash shop remains cosmetic only, there will be no problem.

There is nothing to indicate Intrepid would ever move from that Cosmetic Only mindset.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    HansrutgerHansrutger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly I don't mind there being a shop as long as it's not pay to win but purely cosmetics! I really hope they don't change their "no P2W" statement.
  • Options
    AeneasAeneas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope they also do not include game-speed enhances, like level boosts or XP gain increases. Aside from that its too be expected there'd be a cosmetic open, so long as the game has a lot of cosmetic variety unlocked by gameplay, I don't see any intrinsic problem with it. Mans gotta make enough money to complete the game afterall.
  • Options
    Aeneas wrote: »
    I hope they also do not include game-speed enhances, like level boosts or XP gain increases. Aside from that its too be expected there'd be a cosmetic open, so long as the game has a lot of cosmetic variety unlocked by gameplay, I don't see any intrinsic problem with it. Mans gotta make enough money to complete the game afterall.

i mean these boosters are almost always classes as pay to win, they won't exist.
    expect frilly dresses or gorgeous armours!

regarding making money, think about it this way:
    if they make a game people enjoy they recieve $15.99 from each person per month per account.
    this is essentially a 'we trust our game will be SO good and that we can deliver, that we don't need a box cost, we don't need a forceful cash-shop (shout out to bdo for REQUIRING a $200 downpayment into the cash shop to be competitive) and will instead rely on players WANTING to pay the sub fee to login each month'

all i see is a confidence, and a bit of a flex..
    and if you REALLY want to delve into money:
    8,000-10,000 concurrent players per server per region, assuming bottom bracket
    8,000 * $15.99 == $127,920 INCOME PER SERVER/m
    10,000 * $15.99 == $159,990 INCOME PER SERVER/m
    then we take X number of servers per region say 5 for the main 3 (EU, NA, SEA)
    (8,000 * $15.99)* 5 == $639,600 INCOME PER REGION/m
    (10,000 * $15.99)* 5 == $799,950 INCOME PER REGION/m
    ---
    note that this is based on CONCURRENT PLAYER FIGURES. meaning players that are on the server playing the game at the same time.
    we have had confirmations that up to near 50,000 accounts can be associated to each server.
    --
    50,000 * $15.99 == $799,500 INCOME PER SERVER/m
    (50,000 * $15.99)* 5 == $3,997,500 INCOME PER REGION/m
    --
    none of this is calculating expenditure of ANY form.
    but money isn't an issue.
    at all.
    ever.
    :lol:
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    Aeneas wrote: »
    Mans gotta make enough money to complete the game afterall.
    outside my wall of text, the game is already fully funded. entirely. kickstarter was an litmus test to see community reaction and to let people get engaged, not to fund the project.

Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    Also please remember, while cosmetics are sold in the cash shop, you will be able to obtain cosmetics that look as good as those sold in the cash shop through achievements and gameplay.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    To all the new posters here that are worried about this, I feel someone should point out the following.

When asked by a player if Ashes will allow gifting of items from the cosmetic store, Steven specifically said no, because that could lead to a form of pay to win.

If this was allowed, a player could offer to buy something in game, but instead of offering an in game currency, they could offer to buy the seller a cosmetic item instead - resulting in the buyer buying an in game item for real world money.

If Intrepid are this committed to preventing pay to win with their cash shop, I don't think there is much of a need to worry that they may slip like some other games have.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cosmetic only is fine to me. I would prefer no cash-shop at all, but .. I have to admit, I do get pretty excited for a cool looking costume. In ArchAge cosmetics were the only thing I ever paid for and they had some great ones!
  • Options
    Cosmetic only is fine to me. I would prefer no cash-shop at all, but .. I have to admit, I do get pretty excited for a cool looking costume. In ArchAge cosmetics were the only thing I ever paid for and they had some great ones!

I'd prefer a cash shop and give a little bit of extra coin to look sexy, while the development of a new expansion potentially increases since they have a few extra coins to play with.
    But everyone's horror is understood, i wonder how many people are thinking 'how long until it becomes p2w' Simply because the shop exists in the first place.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Lafi wrote: »
    But everyone's horror is understood, i wonder how many people are thinking 'how long until it becomes p2w' Simply because the shop exists in the first place.
    I look at Path of Exile as an example of a game with a cash shop that has no pay to win aspects to it at all.

There are some conveniences for sale there - but that is something the develoeprs of that game always said they were going to do. Right from when the game was launched, they have stuck by their word as to what they would and would not sell on their cash shop.

And that is on a game that is free to play.

I work on the assumption that Ashes will stick to a similar notion. They have said what they intend to do (no pay to win, no paid for convenience, no pay to speed things up), and as long as they stick to that, everything is fine.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    Lafi wrote: »
    I look at Path of Exile as an example of a game with a cash shop that has no pay to win aspects to it at all.

There are some conveniences for sale there - but that is something the develoeprs of that game always said they were going to do. Right from when the game was launched, they have stuck by their word as to what they would and would not sell on their cash shop.

And that is on a game that is free to play.

I work on the assumption that Ashes will stick to a similar notion. They have said what they intend to do (no pay to win, no paid for convenience, no pay to speed things up), and as long as they stick to that, everything is fine.

Preach it pappie!!
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    I am so tired of people not being able to do Basic research in Google. How did you even saw AoC on his Channel but didnt saw his react to thelazyperosn video?
    And second its not your typical trash mmorpg from Azia where Intrepid is responsible only for release and only show done product for newbies to get them hyped and suck as much money from them as possible.
    People want cosmetic then they will pay for them in shop if they want to support intrepid but game will be only pay to play with no p2w shop as Intrepid know their situation
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    rainer wrote: »
    I am so tired of people not being able to do Basic research in Google. How did you even saw AoC on his Channel but didnt saw his react to thelazyperosn video?
    And second its not your typical trash mmorpg from Azia where Intrepid is responsible only for release and only show done product for newbies to get them hyped and suck as much money from them as possible.
    People want cosmetic then they will pay for them in shop if they want to support intrepid but game will be only pay to play with no p2w shop as Intrepid know their situation

Except with nothing bound you can get everything for cash on 3rd party sites which would make it completely p2w. There is a reason the best gear in almost all games in bound and it’s not to annoy players it to make it so you have to actually play the game and not just insert cc
  • Options

Except with nothing bound you can get everything for cash on 3rd party sites which would make it completely p2w. There is a reason the best gear in almost all games in bound and it’s not to annoy players it to make it so you have to actually play the game and not just insert cc

there have been comments made on this stuff:
    sub fee is already proven to reduce the number of gold sellers, botters and all that - note i say REDUCE.
    we have ACTIVE GMs in game on EVERY server.
    there are essentially trackings for accounts: if you're a player that say pulls in 10g a day but suddenly get yourself 500g, there will be flags that appear on your account.
    gold is an example, but it includes items too - Gear.

furhtermore, with it taking up SO long to level a character to a point where sellers would be able to sell - 45 days at 4-6 hours a day - the work that sellers and botters have to do to get returns compared to other games is going to put off a fair few botters.
    finally, we have an ENTIRE community of players that want to see a successfully game, if we see bots, if we see scripters, if we see sellers, not only will we reach out to the enforcement teams, we'll take our own action. i will personally hunt suspected bots, gold sellers, scripters and all kinds, forcing EXP Debts on them to a point of making it so they are unable to operate.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options

Actually, it's usually to increase playtime so that they get more of your money.
    If you make things bound (like WoW) it does not stop this behaviour at all, people just sell whole accounts/runs rather than individual things, in the end it is the same. But unlike other braindead MMOs which are essentially just singleplayer games with chat now, Ashes will have politics, economics and all manner of things that rely on people being able to trade.

Buying things for cash on a 3rd party site sounds like cheating. Usually those sites are against ToS or even against the law. I would just report it and move on.