Paying for Cosmetics Ruins Loot based Games

w0zw0z Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
All games that are loot based are ruined when paying for cosmetics. I love all the ideas of AoC and everything I have seen so far but the one thing i disagree with is the paying for cosmetics. I understand its a non pay 2 win way of making money that is used by MOBAs and Battle royals. In those games people are in awe of how you look but they are not loot based. However, in a loot based game it essentially destroys the coolness factor of certain armor or weapons. POE has this system and you could have the crappiest gear but look like a demon god that can one shot the whole game off your pc. In POE you can craft the greatest weapon and gear in the game and your character looks lame and basic with no cosmetics. There is no "holy crap this guy beat X boss and got that rare drop". Or "This guy did a lot of grinding of materials to make that armor". You are essentially removing the "street cred" of people for someone opening their wallet. Just like the flying mounts are something rare to brag about and show off, so should the legendary items. That being said I want the creators of the game to make money I just don't know what other mechanic can be used other than cosmetic stuff. If the cosmetics are not that cool then nobody will buy them and the game wont make as much money. Maybe micro-transaction should be stuff like UI cosmetics something the player is always seeing but not other people. Maybe different colors of the gear should be the only cosmetic micro-transactions. Any ideas?

Comments

• AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Kinda as a Druid in early wow that tier 2 moose gear was ugly as can be...I hated that set so much I understand wanting cosmetic options
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can agree. In most games where Cosmetics are sold, the received options in games are really poor and horrid. In Ashes, the Cosmetics are meant to have variants inside the game, with even more inside the game I hope. I would hate to be Pidgeon holed into my Cosmetic Gear, though I'd also hate if I have to get extremely rare items to wear the majority of my Cosmetics. I understand some Cosmetic Counterparts are rarer than others though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • It wont ruin if you can get similar cosmetics through PvE content.
    w0z wrote: »
    POE has this system and you could have the crappiest gear but look like a demon god that can one shot the whole game off your pc. In POE you can craft the greatest weapon and gear in the game and your character looks lame and basic with no cosmetics.

This can be prevented for example that players cant use cosmetics until they reach max level (or x level).
    When players level they shouldn't look like a 'demon god' or a player with high end gear (cosmetics).
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    I’ve noticed this trend of people crying “everyone will wear neon pink if you let them!” and other similar sentiments, and yet any time there’s a game with transmogs, most people don’t try to look like a cartoon character.

FFXIV notwithstanding, but that’s an eastern MMO trend more than it is a general trend.
  • w0zw0z Member
    Aardvark wrote: »
    Kinda as a Druid in early wow that tier 2 moose gear was ugly as can be...I hated that set so much I understand wanting cosmetic options

Yes I guess the problem of crappy looking armor is solved with cosmetics.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The thing to remember with Ashes is that half the cosmetics will be available in game, without using the cash shop.

This gets around the only potential issue with the system, the same issue PoE has.

While a player may need the cash shop to get the exact look they want, they will be able to get a great look without it, if they out the effort in.