Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My biggest concern.

DarqwatchDarqwatch Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hi there,

So after watching some footage (the raw gameplay vid and the vid from TheLazyPeon) I come to the conclusion that the thing that bothers me most is without a doubt the animations (character and spell/skill animation mostly) and the character models.

The character animation looks very basic, and the character models look extremely like basic mobile-phone ad character models.

To be clear, I am not here to hate on the game, I am very hyped and from what I have heard from the Asmongold interview I got hyped even more and really hope this game succeeds, it's just that the two things I stated above are by far my main concerns.

Any thoughts?

Thank you and I hope this input was helpful in any way.

Comments

• Options
    All i can say is that you should not pay too much attention too it. They are still in a Pre alpa stage (preparing apha 1 at the moment for later this year) so everything you see (or saw in that video) is subject to change and not at all polished. Once they get in later stages of development (most likely around beta time) you will start to see the game is it will look like during launch.

As for now, please don't let the looks affect your judgement since it will change a lot.
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    Same, I get that a bit bitter taste too. I think you are talking about the asian anime ninja attacks and various fast trails art style and weird spell casting spins.
    Anims should be a bit toned down without asian flavors.
    More to the ground, with human-like strength, hitting hard, but not over the top.
    If you guys want to make it above human strength then make it demonic like(with the movement of your hand or weapon ghostly)
  • Options
    All i can say is that you should not pay too much attention too it. They are still in a Pre alpa stage (preparing apha 1 at the moment for later this year) so everything you see (or saw in that video) is subject to change and not at all polished. Once they get in later stages of development (most likely around beta time) you will start to see the game is it will look like during launch.

Pretty much this, but it's best to get worries out there! I'm sure these things will improve as time goes on.
  • Options

As for now, please don't let the looks affect your judgement since it will change a lot.

Never trust devs. Always take as it is.

It's quite simple. Not everyone likes edgy art flavors. Most don't.
    We can disagree, but the fact is the fact.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Peon501 wrote: »
    Fact is fact, and the fact is the developers have been iterating on character animations for several years now, with small improvements each time.

Fact is, there is no reason to assume they have finished this process.
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    Fact is fact, and the fact is the developers have been iterating on character animations for several years now, with small improvements each time.

I get that. The guy before you told that.
    It is just a bit concerning and we should ask questions because Ashes of Creation funder played a lot of Asian art style-based games.
  • Options
    Just wait for alpha we will see.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • Options
    The only thing I can say at the moment it is in pre alpha if you Google world of Warcraft pre alpha and dig up old footage of that compared to was it was like of release they are two completely different looking games. Everything is placeholder and subject to change. I think once we get to beta we can get a more accurate image of what the game will be like in launch. That is about a year or so away minimum.
  • Options

It is just a bit concerning and we should ask questions because Ashes of Creation funder played a lot of Asian art style-based games.

Almost all of the games art leads are from SoE/Daybreak. This includes the character lead and the animation lead.

Look at their previous work to see what to expect in this regard in Ashes.
  • Options

Almost all of the games art leads are from SoE/Daybreak. This includes the character lead and the animation lead.

Look at their previous work to see what to expect in this regard in Ashes.

Can you link me to a couple of their games?
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A link to the wiki for daybreak games. There's a list of games the company made on there. No idea which games the Intrepid staff worked on though, I'm assuming not everyone worked on every game
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ultimately at this point though if you haven't backed the game yet theres zero reason to atm. As of now there's no more Alpha 1 keys being sold so backing the game now vs backing the game 6 months from now won't get you anything unless you really want a specific limited cosmetic. If you have doubts about the game I'd suggest just waiting until the video NDA is dropped during alpha 1 so you can see more progress.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    A link to the wiki for daybreak games. There's a list of games the company made on there. No idea which games the Intrepid staff worked on though, I'm assuming not everyone worked on every game

Ah. I see. EverQuest. I only played a little bit of EverQuest.
    Can't see any cool MMO's. I only see a lot of games targeting the Asian market.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    darthaden wrote: »

Ah. I see. EverQuest. I only played a little bit of EverQuest.

I have played lots and lots of MMOs but the only one on that list I have played is DDO
  • Options
    GenaroGenaro Member
    Agreed. Even though the game still in early alphas, I would like to see improved character models, more fluidity in movements, more polish and smoother animations. And maybe, just maybe, a little bit less light effects on skills, so the game doesn't have too much visual pollution (like it was in AoC: Apocalypse, imo).

Even if the game can't pull all the features it has to offer in paper, if you have a movement and combat system that feels good to play, players will stick to it until the game is fully release in all fundamental aspects.
  • Options
    I have to agree, I'd much rather a classical fantasy sort of style that seems to match the theme of the game better... The asian-style animations and art, I am very much hoping, are just place-holder until we get our cool western audience stuff.
  • Options
    Same, I get that a bit bitter taste too. I think you are talking about the asian anime ninja attacks and various fast trails art style and weird spell casting spins.
    More to the ground, with human-like strength, hitting hard, but not over the top.
    If you guys want to make it above human strength then make it demonic like(with the movement of your hand or weapon ghostly)

not talking about the "asian anime ninja attacks..." at all, just that they animation look clunky, slow and very basic.
  • Options
    I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

EQ is the game WoW was modeled on.
    EQ2 was WoW's main competition for it's first 4 years.
    SWG was the first MMORPG to gain mainstream notice.
    Planetside was the first MMOFPS.
    H1Z1 was the Battle Royale game before PUBG and Fortnite.

None of SoE's titles have ever been aimed at an Asian market. Some of them have attempted spin offs in that direction, but every SoE game ever developed was developed for the western market.

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Look at their Pre-Alpha In-Game footage, then compare it to their just released 4K game footage. There is a massive difference. Welcome to the world of game development. Not everything is going to be complete, and there will be many placeholders. Look at the difference 3 years has made on the game. Now you need to understand that this game will not launch for another 2+ years. It will only get better.
  • Options
    I'm sure when the game is out the combat will look nothing like it does now
  • Options
    You need to keep in mind that animations cannot be perfected until the game actually works.
    Your house can look fantastic, but if the foundation is done on mud, it will just sink into it and be useless.

The spell effects are on purpose over the top, because this way the can stress test what happen with all these flashy things. Eventually they will be tuned.
    Programming and designing is an iterative process, which means you go over and over the same mechanic, design and keep working on it, improving it and changing it.

You might think animation is super important, but if the infrastructure behind is bad, you will have a really nice animation and endless lag when there's 10 people around you.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WBsteve wrote: »
    I'm sure when the game is out the combat will look nothing like it does now

You are correct
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options

None of SoE's titles have ever been aimed at an Asian market. Some of them have attempted spin-offs in that direction, but every SoE game ever developed was developed for the western market.

No, dude. I was talking about other MMO's they have made. At last what I found.
    EverQuest was an ok game.
  • Options
    LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter

None of SoE's titles have ever been aimed at an Asian market. Some of them have attempted spin-offs in that direction, but every SoE game ever developed was developed for the western market.

pretty sure people gave up on you with the 'EverQuest was an ok game' bit.
    lots of Stans for OG titles here.
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Options
    Lafi wrote: »

pretty sure people gave up on you with the 'EverQuest was an ok game' bit.
    lots of Stans for OG titles here.

Pretty much.

EverQuest was more than alright. That kinda talk is blasphemous around these here parts. We're MMO people. Sorry.
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you have such a disliking to combat themes in Asian games, it's flashy, interesting and it feels weighty. The only game I can think of without combat similar (or considerably watered down) to this as of recent is honestly The Elder Scrolls Online and I personally find that combat boring?

It's definitely important to not make combat looks like a mess of colours and particles but it sounds like you're asking for some sort of medieval sword fighting experience with no magic in a game that has giant otters, giraffe-anteaters and dragons?
  • Options
    Peon501Peon501 Member
    edited July 2020
    Namil wrote: »

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you have such a disliking to combat themes in Asian games, it's flashy, interesting and it feels weighty. The only game I can think of without combat similar (or considerably watered down) to this as of recent is honestly The Elder Scrolls Online and I personally find that combat boring?

It's definitely important to not make combat looks like a mess of colours and particles but it sounds like you're asking for some sort of medieval sword fighting experience with no magic in a game that has giant otters, giraffe-anteaters and dragons?

I can't force myself to play Asian, flashy mobile ish art style games.
    I am more into Western, Northern, Baltic, Celtic, Grece mythology, prehistorical games, and gothic, fantasy-style games where I fight within dungeons with dragons, demons, mages, warriors and so on in these cultures.
    I like games like Diablo 2, POE, World of Warcraft, dark souls, oblivion, Far Cry Primal, etc. medieval fantasy, pe historic-medieval games, and so on.
    it would be stupid to call that these games has
    Namil wrote: »
    no magic in a game