Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Forms of Anticheat - concern for linux gaming

BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hi.

I'm wondering what kinds of anticheat/drm is being considered for AoC.
I bring this up because I'm a linux gamer and those invasive spyware anticheat system sometimes don't work so well with WINE.

Cheers~!

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Linux is not being supported so you are most likely going to have problems. Intrepid has held information on exactly what programs they are planning to use. Some of the anti-cheat measures are overt, others are server side.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I know linux is not being officially supported as of release, but I guess this is more of a plea to the devs to consider carefully what kind of anti cheat measures are being put in place to not exclude a segment of the gaming market.
    The gaming scene on linux is progressing leaps and bounds and the number of games that can be played (with performance on par with or even exceeding windows) is very high (take a look at https://lutris.net/ for titles known to work in linux).
    My limited experience is that the games work fine, but its the known aggressive (kernal level) anticheat systems that cause issues.

Basically if you don't install a rootkit on us in the name of anticheat, linux gamers can find a way to play without much dev effort.

Cheers~!
  • Options
    Hi there - as mentioned above, we are currently developing Ashes of Creation to support Windows PC. During previous Apocalypse playtests some users may have experienced some of the anti-cheat measures we were testing, and we'll be continuing to roll those out during future testing as well!

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread out now, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything further we can help with!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.