Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flight Path Questions

VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Watching the interviews Steven did this past weekend, (man he was busy!) I caught a snippet where he was speaking of flight paths being in the game. At least in the ways I've seen other game incorporate flight paths, this seems to be kind of contrary to a few of the systems and ideas they've been promoting in ashes.

Normally, flight paths offer safe, automated travel from point a to b, with some cost involved. Though not as fast teleportation or summoning, it's usually classed as a form of fast travel. How do you guys think it'll be implemented without adversely affecting other systems, like caravans, open world fights between travelers, or that it makes the bonuses of the scientific metro a little less special (namely the airship). Maybe it could be tied to a mayoral building construction, like an eyrie, or have some other restrictions that set it apart. (The snippet was from the interview with Asmongold)

Comments

• Options
    I noticed this too and it raised some concerns. I was sold on the idea of no fast travel, but flight-paths are fast travel.

The way he described it though seemed very limited, like it would only take you from one pre-determined destination to a second one. At least, that's what I took from it.

Also I think the airship might be the fast travel he mentioned. He did mention a certain type and level of node, and it didn't sound like we could just travel from town to town. If so, then ... I am suddenly very concerned!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    I could be wrong but the interview could relate to Glider Flights paths - you can use Gliders from certain areas to travel faster in descent.

If the the Airship flight paths provide fast travel then I don't see why it can't avoid World PvP and other delays. I don't think a Caravan would be affected by the Airship. Again I could be wrong but it would be too much of an exploit if Scientific Metropolis Citizens can fast travel the Caravan System and avoided all risks involved.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Is there a wiki page or youtube video that talks more about these flightpaths or specifically the airship? I'd like to learn more before I go into panic mode.

Fast-travel seems incredibly detrimental to the health of the type of game they said they were making, and I'm surprised by it.

Nevermind. Found it.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Fast_travel
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Okay, so I read through the wiki page on fast travel and there's nothing alarming there. It all seems like fun and interesting compromises that I'm pretty excited for.

The science node teleportation is incredibly limited (only to ally/vassal nodes).

The flying automated creatures (public transport) and airship, worry me a bit. I hope there's 'some' way to intercept these services in case of a war or something. But it also says "There is not going to be any "go to waypoint" (auto-pathing) mechanics." so that makes me think it won't just be some mechanic where you hop on and are god-mode and can afk until you arrive.

Hopefully it's more like the ships in Everquest, where they were a method of fast travel from continent to continent, but they actually traveled inbetween, you could get on and off whenever you wanted, and PvP was an ever present danger.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the interview could relate to Glider Flights paths - you can use Gliders from certain areas to travel faster in descent.

If the the Airship flight paths provide fast travel then I don't see why it can't avoid World PvP and other delays. I don't think a Caravan would be affected by the Airship. Again I could be wrong but it would be too much of an exploit if Scientific Metropolis Citizens can fast travel the Caravan System and avoided all risks involved.

The Airship is limited to travel between 2 non hostile scientific metros, and i don't think you can do any caravan business on it. This was so specialized that i didn't think it would interfere with other systems at all, And if it was these he was referring to, then I'm not concerned at all. But a flight from say, node to node, would worry me. Also if Steven was referring to the airship, he called it Flight Path in a channel of WoW players, who are used to it being used as a multi point stop system, so there might be some understandings there.
  • Options
    So, after going through the wiki and some older and very new videos, including LazyPeon's recent stuff, it sounds like even the very limited transport systems we have can all be interrupted and disabled by players and war, which actually makes it sound pretty fun.
  • Options
    Yeah, the airship definitely stops if the two metros become hostile. And it would be cool if during a node war you could sneak in and sabotage the airship dock or whatever it has. Though if it is a flight path per node, i don't think war will be enough of a limit on it.
  • Options
    From what I've gathered all travel is between nodes and its vassal, but not outside.
    I'm not sure how, but I don't think you can travel from one metropolis to another.

I was also a bit confused about this flying path thing, maybe it was the airships, not sure.
  • Options
    Hopefully he talks more about fast-travel and transport soon, to clarify some of these things!
    Hoping that someone will ask him about it.
  • Options
    Yeah i was going to this month. Hope it gets answered!
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    From what I've gathered all travel is between nodes and its vassal, but not outside.
    I'm not sure how, but I don't think you can travel from one metropolis to another.

I was also a bit confused about this flying path thing, maybe it was the airships, not sure.

Yeah Scientific metro gets a fast travel to any vassal, and i believe any vassal gets a fast travel to the metro for citizens of the metro or its vassal citizens only. Then two scientific metros can have an Airship between them.