Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Numbers of unique abilities

Was just curious about the number of abilities that are going to be unique based off recent interview that explains your sub arch will enhance abilities in x way. Which I guess i don't really know how many abilities your based arch is going to have, from the recent 4k pre-alpha video we can see about 10-12 let's just say 10 for the sake of an example. So does that mean that with 8 arch x 10 abilities x 8 sub arch x4 potential ability augmentations? There are going to be 2,560 unique abilities? Granted I know this doesn't change the ability completely but, some of the examples like teleporting instead of charging seem like a massive undertaking and impossible to balance. So I was just wondering if we could get clarification about how many actual abilities will be able to augment if know and how many abilities each arch will have with sub arch included to create our class.

Don't get me wrong that is awesome if it can be accomplished but, also with the augments do you think there is going to be a "meta" of augments and any idea of how to combat this or specific fight that warrants specific augments. With the ability to or not to switch our chars, 2nd sub augments to our choosing on the fly?

Comments

• Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    You will have less than 30 abilities on your hotbars at one time.

No you cannot swap secondary archetype (classes) on the fly.
    Where and when you can do that will be decided later.

You also may not be able to respec on the fly, that still needs to be tested.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Thanks Jahlon! So do each of these 30 abilities get augments by the 4 choices based on your sub arch?
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    I think some augment with race and religion also seems I heard something like that but may have misunderstood
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure if we have gotten a number but classes might have more abilities then they have space on their bars.

Your class will have a skill tree that you are able to spend points in to buy and upgrade skills so there is extra variance there. In the past, you could upgrade skills twice for bonuses.

In addition, your sub arch isn't the only place you get augments. You can also get augments from your race, religion, social organizations, as well as other things.

There will always be a meta but the augments (at least in theory) give you a lot of freedom to create whatever build you want. One thing to think about when talking about this is gear. As crafters get better, they might be able to make specific items that make different builds more viable.

EDIT: It looks like Alpha 0 had 14 active skills for tanks https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tank.
  • Options
    MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg