Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Here because of recent hype. None of the backer packages look at all appealing. Sell me.

edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hello,
I have been watching the recent videos from Peon and Asmond and am glad to see this game is coming along so nicely. I am considering backing but the packages seem so 'meh'. I understand that the game is fully funded and that the packages are available to satisfy fans that want to support a wonderful project. Right now there is no real access to a live product test and the game time an currency received is lessor in value to the purchase price.

So I am curious what has motivated you to purchase a package. Are there cosmetics available that are interesting and won't be available later? Do you anticipate packages increasing in price and therfore believe it's better to buy now?

I am thinking about simply waiting until launch (to purchase) and Steven to his credit has encouraged people to do just that. But, I love a good sales pitch and I'm game to listen to what value you all find in the backer packages. Previously I have backed Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Path of Exile, Hex Shards of Fate, and many other unnamed projects, some of which have since died. I think I might have Kickstarter Fatigue but AoC is looking good.

Thanks for any replies! I know there's no 'right' answer. I just wanted to hear your ideas on the subject.
Regards,
PPP

P.S. I've always assocaited the acryonym A.O.C. with Age of Conan. Do people refer to Ashes of Creation as A.O.C. or something else?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    The cosmetics were changing each month or so, has been less in recent weeks.

When I bought in I was under the impression the game would release on the original timescale and so I bit the bullet. I have seen better packages but fortunately I could afford the different cosmetics. Yeah AoC stands for both Conan and Ashes. If you don't like the current cosmetics wait for the change and see if better ones approach. You don't need to buy so rapidly, Alpha 2 (The highest current package) won't be until next year at least.

Edit: When cosmetics are changed they won't repeat. IS often inform people that packages will be withdrawn so you should have ample time to decide. NDA ends in fall unless plans change.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hello,
    Previously I have backed... Path of Exile... and many other projects that have died.
    I assume you know they are having their best half year in terms of player hours ever right now - even better than when they were beating Diablo 3. Not at all a project that has died.

I would say though, unless you are after a particular cosmetic, don't buy anything right now. Even if you are after one or two, I still wouldn't buy right now.

There is a good chance that they will start adding alpha access back to some of the packs if/when alpha proves stable with the 10,000 players that already have access to it.

That is when you should first actually consider buying a package, imo.
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    Hello,
    Previously I have backed... Path of Exile... and many other projects that have died.
    I assume you know they are having their best half year in terms of player hours ever right now - even better than when they were beating Diablo 3. Not at all a project that has died.

I would say though, unless you are after a particular cosmetic, don't buy anything right now. Even if you are after one or two, I still wouldn't buy right now.

There is a good chance that they will start adding alpha access back to some of the packs if/when alpha proves stable with the 10,000 players that already have access to it.

That is when you should first actually consider buying a package, imo.

Hmmm...I worded that badly. I listed some successful projects as well as other unnamed projects. The unnamed projects were the ones that died. I'll change it up so it's more clear. PoE has been a phenomenal crowdfunded success indeed. Time will tell on the others. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    NamilNamil Member
    If the current packages aren't appealing to you then you should do exactly what Neurath said, wait for the current cosmetics and rewards to switch out. There have been some really cool mounts and other rewards available in the months that have been and if you need some proof then you can check out the AoC discord and scroll up in the 'news-aoc' channel and you can take a look at a few there (might take a bit of digging, unless there's another way to check past package that I'm unaware of).

Besides, if you get a package now it's essentially a piece of unobtainable history going into the future of the game and imo it's pretty satisfying having a set of crazy unique things to show off that only a handful of people will have. I'm sure there will be plenty more of these packages to come so there's nothing wrong waiting for the right one for you either. I don't believe there's any intention of raising the price of any of the packages either.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Thanks for the reply.
    No worries.

Buyers remorse would be a really bad way to start out in a new MMO.

Maybe it would be worth attempting to get a question to Steven in regards to whether any additional alpha access they do offer will go to people that have already bought packs that do not contain access, or if it will be offered only via new packs. It is actually a fairly good question that I am sure a lot of the newer people here would like an answer to.

This is all assuming you are putting a high value on having access to alpha as opposed to cosmetic items - if this is not true, you should just buy a pack if it has cosmetics that you like, as they will never be offered again.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At this point there's no hurry to back the game unless your really sold on the cosmetics offered in a specific month. There's no more Alpha 1 keys available so backing the game today will not get you access any faster then if you back it a few months from now. Unless things change and more alpha 1 keys become available I'd just wait for cosmetics your more into.
  • Options
    I waited until I saw a cosmetic in the package that was SO good that I just couldn't resist. Having cool looking exclusive stuff I can show off, that no one else can get unless they got it back when I got it, just makes me feel special... Something I rarely feel IRL, lolsad.

If you're not as lolsad as some of us though, just wait until release... But if you want my opinion, grab a kick ass cosmetic when you see it, just in case this game is your new life in the future, so you can rub it in your friends faces :)
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You could also simply wait until the video NDA is lifted and Alpha 1 is live. Watch some gameplay videos and decide when the game reaches a state you feel it's worth playing because this is a true alpha and will have many, many issues
  • Options
    WreynaWreyna Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So I am curious what has motivated you to purchase a package. Are there cosmetics available that are interesting and won't be available later? Do you anticipate packages increasing in price and therfore believe it's better to buy now?

For me, it was actually seeing the Dev team that Steven assembled. I was a really big ArcheAge player at the time and discovered that Steven left because of the P2W elements that plagued that game. AA was a great game, ruined by P2W.

The lifetime sub in the kickstarter was what made me pull the trigger. I was a lifetime sub for Secret World and I didn't regret it since that was an amazing game, and this looks like it should be great too if it can fulfill it's game design promises.
  • Options
    Wreyna wrote: »

For me, it was actually seeing the Dev team that Steven assembled. I was a really big ArcheAge player at the time and discovered that Steven left because of the P2W elements that plagued that game. AA was a great game, ruined by P2W.

The lifetime sub in the kickstarter was what made me pull the trigger. I was a lifetime sub for Secret World and I didn't regret it since that was an amazing game, and this looks like it should be great too if it can fulfill it's game design promises.

I was an Archeage and Secret World fan. I was so hopeful that Archeage Unchained and SWL would save those titles but they just weren't enough. I still have some great memories of those games.

Thanks to all for the responses. I learned that I need to join the official Discord and keep an eye on cosmetic packages just in case one grabs my attention.
  • Options
    JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited July 2020
    For me it was at a time I was searching for something new to play i have spent 12 years in Eve, and had just finished 3 years in Aion and found this game on kickstarter it looked like it had potential and great ideas. So I tossed them $100 to continue their effort. Not a big deal I've toss $100 bucks down on a single blackjack hand that was gone in 30 seconds. I've now received 3 years of excitement from this $100 I would say that is a better investment.

I could careless about the cosmetics, I'm the type of player that is perfectly happy in my starter rags and wooden sword for me it's about the actual game experience and not the visual clutter. Although I will probably never actually play the game, but that is a different story.
  • Options
    BlackBronyBlackBrony Member
    edited July 2020
    The cosmetics were changing each month, and they were one time sale, you couldn't get them anymore.
    They stopped changing them because of Covid, Steven said that during this time where many people don't have work he doesn't want them to feel like they might be losing the items because of this crisis.
    Also, the packs are there to play alpha/beta and get cosmetics, besides that honestly there's nothing else, because the game is only sub, so you can still play at launch
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here is the selling point. There is no box cost, just a subscription.
    Anything else is your decision to buy or not.
  • Options
    Think of it more as a donation to help support the game. As far as I know, the game is already fully funded by Steven and his bigbrain investments.

It's totally fine if you want to wait until the game is out, it's actually encouraged.
    Personally, I only backed because I want to support his vision ... and the cloak I got is pretty.