Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The corruption system and multi boxing.

2»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Odal wrote: »
    What will the policy be on multi boxing. I'm worried about people multi boxing and killing their own characters that have corruption to clear their corruption and to continue to PK lowbies/people that don't attack back with no penalty and gaming the system. Hopefully they will address that.

Hopefully multiboxing is a banable offense as it ruins the game. Especially farming.

Multi-boxing is allowed.

It was voted on by us potential players. It helps that Intrepid would have no real way to stop it without negatively impacting many other players.

The thing with people gaining corruption and then killing their own character to get rid of that corruption is that it isn't really avoiding the penalty. The main penalty for corruption is the extended death penalty you get if you are killed with corruption.

Gaining corruption and then killing that character with another isn't doing anything to prevent that factor of the penalty.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    What will the policy be on multi boxing. I'm worried about people multi boxing and killing their own characters that have corruption to clear their corruption and to continue to PK lowbies/people that don't attack back with no penalty and gaming the system. Hopefully they will address that.

Hopefully multiboxing is a banable offense as it ruins the game. Especially farming.

Multi-boxing is allowed.

It was voted on by us potential players. It helps that Intrepid would have no real way to stop it without negatively impacting many other players.

The thing with people gaining corruption and then killing their own character to get rid of that corruption is that it isn't really avoiding the penalty. The main penalty for corruption is the extended death penalty you get if you are killed with corruption.

Gaining corruption and then killing that character with another isn't doing anything to prevent that factor of the penalty.

It does minimize equipment and material drop risk though, which is a pretty big deal.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

Multi-boxing is allowed.

It does minimize equipment and material drop risk though, which is a pretty big deal.

Well, sort of.

As someone that does occasionally multi-box though, I don't really see it happening that much.

In order to have a chance to drop items, you need to have several kills worth of corruption. The other two things that happens with multiple kills worth of corruption is that you respawn in an unpredictable location, and you have more than one death worth of corruption.

What this means is that if you gain enough corruption to drop items when killed, the situation you find yourself in is that you can kill your corrupt character with the other character, and are then likely to find yourself in a situation where your two characters are some distance apart (a multi-bower is never more vulnerable than when their characters are apart), and one of them still has corruption.

While I fully expect some multi-boxers to get themselves in to this situation on occasion, it really isn't likely to be all that common.
  • Options

Multi-boxing is allowed.

I think they should rethink that then, why allow something as bad as botting. That is a really bad move. What do you mean impact players negatively? That's like saying banning bots is affecting players negatively?

Multi-boxing and botting are absolutely not the same thing.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

Nice :) So they are against multiboxing, good to know and the wise decision for a better game obviously.

They are not against multiboxing, it's allowed. But input broadcasting is forbidden, that will massively reduce the appeal of boxing and the size of the boxer party. But like i said before, you don't need input broadcasting to multibox, it just make things easier. Those committed to this playstyle will box as long as it's allowed, regardless of the efficiency. (I mean, i'm currently dual boxing new world, and the gameplay is far from boxing friendly)
  • Options

Multi-boxing is allowed.

Well, sort of.

As someone that does occasionally multi-box though, I don't really see it happening that much.

In order to have a chance to drop items, you need to have several kills worth of corruption. The other two things that happens with multiple kills worth of corruption is that you respawn in an unpredictable location, and you have more than one death worth of corruption.

Well your making an assumption here in it being unpredictable. It was extremely predictable in Alpha and I haven't read anything signaling randomness in choosing the respawn point om death.

• Options
    Well your making an assumption here in it being unpredictable. It was extremely predictable in Alpha and I haven't read anything signaling randomness in choosing the respawn point om death.

"Corrupt players respawn at random locations in the vicinity of their death, not at regular spawn points."
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption#Player_death
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Good luck with that then fam.

• Options

Multi-boxing is allowed.

Well, sort of.

It is only deaths while corrupt that will have that random respawn.

From a 2017 livestream
    Corrupt players respawn at random locations in the vicinity of their death, not at regular spawn points.
  • Options

Multi-boxing is allowed.

I think they should rethink that then, why allow something as bad as botting. That is a really bad move. What do you mean impact players negatively? That's like saying banning bots is affecting players negatively?

Multi-boxing and botting are absolutely not the same thing.

They are as bad, yes.

No, they are not.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2021
    It’s impossible to differentiate between multiboxing and multiple people who play in the same household. There is no way to see who is on the other side of the keyboard without hacking into webcams. So Intrepid can’t disallow it without harming a lot of people and losing customers. That’s why it’s allowed.

What they don’t allow are tools that make multiboxing practical. Those are things you can detect and enforce rules against.

In my opinion it’s the best of both worlds. Their policy won’t disadvantage people playing in the same house but it will make it so you can’t effectively have one person armies roaming the game.

That’s why I made my comment earlier about the person in PvP multiboxing with 40 characters having 39 AFK easy targets. That player will have no good way to control all those characters without getting banned. It’s not going to be a problem.

Hhak63P.png