Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ok Karen

WheroWhero Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Ok karen

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Every race in Ashes traces itself back to a real world culture. The Nikua are polynesian influenced.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    You should come up with some stuff you want in the game and submit it to the appropriate forum. Maybe the devs like it and ask to put it in! Could be fun, not just for you but for others too who might like your ideas.

Early development like now is a great time to participate with ideas and creativity.

I think one reason some fantasy races come across as vague is because they want to be inclusive to a point without being exclusive. For example if they focused too heavily on one real-life culture, then that's a bit exclusive to others and also just not very interesting because it's something that already exists, and this is a fantasy world so it should be new stuff that doesn't exist. I think it's cool when some fantasy culture is a 'bit' inspired by various things, but when their whole identity is essentially just a copy paste from IRL, then I'm not really interested...

I can already play IRL, been subbed my whole life.
  • Options
    WheroWhero Member
    edited July 2020
    😀
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited July 2020
    Whero wrote: »
    if you dig a bit deeper behind the (grass skirts and gigantic bone hook wielding tattooed face man on the beach) you could come up with something alot better.

Remember that's just one cosmetic outfit. No single outfit can represent the range of aesthetics or breadth/depth of culture a race will have in the game. There'll be different kinds of armour to look forward to.

Right now we have limited information, but I think the concept art of Nikua buildings on the AoC wiki is a good place to see where they're mixing the Polynesian influence with traditional fantasy Dwarven architecture for a more unique look.
  • Options
    WheroWhero Member
    edited July 2020
    🤦
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It is worth noting that while this race may be inspired by Polynesian cultures in general, that doesn't mean Intrepid have to stick to Polynesian cultures in all aspects.

It is perfectly within their rights to take a Polynesian cultural influence in terms of the races design and architecture, but then take religious and social queues from other influences.

Intrepid are not attempting to emulate any given culture in Ashes, which I think is good, they are just taking influence from as many as they reasonably can.
  • Options
    WheroWhero Member
    noaani wrote: »
    Intrepid are not attempting to emulate any given culture in Ashes, which I think is good, they are just taking influence from as many as they reasonably can.

? Well that's pretty much what they are doing the only real difference is that they are a Dwarven race from the mountains.

I also didn't say intrepid had to do anything.

But thank you Karen.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ? Well that's pretty much what they are doing the only real difference is that they are a Dwarven race from the mountains.

I also didn't say intrepid had to do anything.

But thank you Karen.
    I'm not the Karen here.

You're the one essentially asking to speak to the manager.

You say there is a lot more they could do with weapons, religion and mythology. I'm simply pointing out that you haven't seen anything to do with any of those things as yet, so you really shouldn't be asking to speak to the manager on things you havene't even seen yet.
  • Options
    lul
  • Options
    WheroWhero Member
    Ok karen 😂
  • Options
    VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Ok karen 😂

i1bciip.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The forums used to be such a nice place
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace