Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Map Maker, Artists, Public Performance, Guides in-Game

VKhatVKhat Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
After seeing the Bard class and hearing the game does have VoIP as well as there are taverns, I'd think Bards could do a live performance at such places which may be storytelling, standup comedy, singing, or playing an instrument for just a coin or two.

I was thinking of an element of D&D that the game seems to be missing, cartography. Would it be possible to add just a normal traditional ink and just sepia colors for creating maps that detect tablets? As the world is ever-changing, this could be a great thing and if possible to also draw, it could fall into Scribes or create a new profession if you need to limit people who could upload this. I'd just love to create maps and create in-game doodles. No color, just ink, and stuff. Maybe mastering the class could allow it?

As well, could certain classes be only able to use "spells" to track living creatures such ranges and maybe mages? I'd say this is just purely for more immersive. This isn't much of a problem.

There is another reason behind wanting the scribe feature of drawing and the reason is that I really love exploration, most MMO's they give us the map, already and we know the world. We know every plant, every animal. So in addition, if possible to add, could scribes create books with analysis on how to defeat monsters, add guide including drawing of monsters, resources, drops, strategy, maps?

Comments

• Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    Forgot to mention something else, to make it a gold sinker and more immersive, don't add an eraser. Add the ability to copy as replicate so we can just sell the same map. This could add some economy and people with this profession will be always exploring and wanting to get all the details, especially if something changes.
  • Options
    I think it would cool if when a bard performs within a tavern or another appropriate setting for a performance, it would give a longer lasting buff or effect for players who are present for the performance. Giving players an incentive to visit and relax in the tavern between combat and quests.

For immersion sake, I hope there are such buildings beyond what we seen so far that serve more for immersing the players in the world than just pure gameplay or mechanics personally.

(I highly suggest checking out the RP hopes thread in the RP forums here!)
    ezgif-3-b7b5eae89b.gif
  • Options
    Would love the simple ability for players to write/draw on paper to make notes and maps. This tiny little addition made a huge difference in Mortal Online and other games.

It allows people to just mess around, but also make useful items like player guides, in-game stories, roleplay, maps, whatever.

I will never forget the time I pickpocketed a drawing from GreyFox in Mortal Online and it was like a 5 year old drew it, something about a dragon/dinosaur. The whole guild ended up passing it around and having a big laugh, why was he even carrying that!? We will never know.

Some players went and made maps to hidden locations they didn't want on the internet, or simple player guides that you could sell yourself to noobs for 1 silver.

Would strongly support the scribe ideas, sounds like great fun.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    Ljosalfar wrote: »
    I think it would cool if when a bard performs within a tavern or another appropriate setting for a performance, it would give a longer lasting buff or effect for players who are present for the performance. Giving players an incentive to visit and relax in the tavern between combat and quests.

For immersion sake, I hope there are such buildings beyond what we seen so far that serve more for immersing the players in the world than just pure gameplay or mechanics personally.

(I highly suggest checking out the RP hopes thread in the RP forums here!)

I love this idea! They would require to stay nearby for x time though, to just not grab it in a second and leave. Like relax, talk to some one or enjoy the show.

And I agree, they should include something else for public performance!
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    Would love the simple ability for players to write/draw on paper to make notes and maps. This tiny little addition made a huge difference in Mortal Online and other games.

It allows people to just mess around, but also make useful items like player guides, in-game stories, roleplay, maps, whatever.

I will never forget the time I pickpocketed a drawing from GreyFox in Mortal Online and it was like a 5 year old drew it, something about a dragon/dinosaur. The whole guild ended up passing it around and having a big laugh, why was he even carrying that!? We will never know.

Some players went and made maps to hidden locations they didn't want on the internet, or simple player guides that you could sell yourself to noobs for 1 silver.

Would strongly support the scribe ideas, sounds like great fun.

Yes! This is what I really want to feel! Most MMO's don't add this feature, but it's incredibly fun to mess around, but also creating guides, or what I really wanna create is a monster manual, D&D style. Or recreate the adventures of my guild or my own adventures. Like, create a visual novel of the events of the server, creating volumes of how the world is being shaped.
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    In addition to classes having the ability to track, could add the option for another profession and have the map enchanted? So it can track monsters?
  • Options
    BunjaBunja Member
    A good system could introduce dungeon guides, monster encyclopedias, and so on.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure they don't want to have any sort of visual helpers for players in regards to dungeons, monsters, resources on the map.
    But being able to writre a Monster Encyclopedia that basically gives information on strong and weak points of monsters is pretty good.
  • Options
    BunjaBunja Member
    phdmonster wrote: »
    I am pretty sure they don't want to have any sort of visual helpers for players in regards to dungeons, monsters, resources on the map.
    But being able to writre a Monster Encyclopedia that basically gives information on strong and weak points of monsters is pretty good.
    From what I learned, Scribes will be able to sell maps. Whatever they explore they can automatically make maps, but I was hoping for something more unique and personal. The ability to draw in-game and make the maps and such.
  • Options
    Bunja wrote: »
    phdmonster wrote: »
    From what I learned, Scribes will be able to sell maps. Whatever they explore they can automatically make maps, but I was hoping for something more unique and personal. The ability to draw in-game and make the maps and such.

YES!!!!
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was under the impression IS were against the Bard being used in this way. It harkens back to the AFK Musicians and Dancers in SWG. I believe Bard is more of a combat class (Short Duration Buffs), than a wound healing mechanic or buffer like Doctor in SWG. I wouldn't be against the implementation but I'd rather see Bards needed for groups more than Bards needed for Buffs before groups leave for combat. I would hate to see Bards limited in terms of usefulness. Not saying longer Buffs wouldn't be useful, just saying Short Duration Active Buffs is preferred by me.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VKhatVKhat Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    I was under the impression IS were against the Bard being used in this way. It harkens back to the AFK Musicians and Dancers in SWG. I believe Bard is more of a combat class (Short Duration Buffs), than a wound healing mechanic or buffer like Doctor in SWG. I wouldn't be against the implementation but I'd rather see Bards needed for groups more than Bards needed for Buffs before groups leave for combat. I would hate to see Bards limited in terms of usefulness. Not saying longer Buffs wouldn't be useful, just saying Short Duration Active Buffs is preferred by me.

That's during combat but if you read the wiki, it says Bards will have a role in social spaces. It's most likely they will have a similar role at taverns and such already. Most of my suggestions are for off-combat.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I was under the impression IS were against the Bard being used in this way. It harkens back to the AFK Musicians and Dancers in SWG.
    I believe this is correct and I am also excited for a support class that actively has to participate in combat to apply short duration buffs of various types to their group. They are supposed to weave between the front lines and rear players to provide different types of buffs as well. I did the AFK dancer back in SWG and I would prefer active participation instead.

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, I understand Bards have a role in social spaces, but I don't think that role should give long term Buffs. If it does give long term buffs i can live with it, but, it shouldn't mean a group can perform at the same level whether a Bard is or isn't in the group. Short term buffs will directly affect the success rates of some fights. I would assume Bards will be as integral to a group as Clerics.

If there are long term buffs added then I think they should not be viable in combat. If a team of people have few Bards, but, Bards can long term buff the whole team, then Bards would not be integral to groups. I'd just replace the bard with a Mage for the extra sustained DPS, rather than take the Bard who can DPS and boost all DPS because of sustainability. It's all theory at this point because we haven't seen all the classes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif