Please keep the crappy alpha graphics in the game

Hello,

To clarify: Many people want to play a game with top knox graphics and AoC should provide this as good as possible. But good graphics come with a cost - it requires players to have relatively strong computers.

What I really wish for is an option to downscale the graphics to meet the limited capabilities of my PC, when the game is released.

If players with mediocre PCs are still able to play the game with decent fps, the potential customer base is much bigger - especially in poorer societies. So please, make the game as visually apealing as you are capable, but do not enforce this by limiting the bars in the graphic settings.

Sincerly,

a jobless math/economy student

Comments

• JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is a little more detail about performance: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Performance
    But they are looking at graphic adjust-ability.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will no doubt be ways of turning down the graphics settings to account for older hardware. The devs have said they aim to be able to play the game on systems that are 3-5 years old. For reference, the footage recorded for the 4k gameplay video was done on an i7 7700 and a gtx 1080ti, both of which are 3 years old by now.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • There are too few devs and too many systems for them to have top of the line graphics and animations/art for every single piece of the game. I hope they focus on the big stuff before they mess around with graphics
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When it was said 'Not everything will be in the game at launch.' I wondered what wouldn't be present at launch. Its like a riddle, forms conundrums and makes me scratch my head.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Good thing there is something called Settings and the game will allow you to lower the resolution, anti aliasing and other options to reduce the quality of the visuals.
  • @phdmonster the question is how much you will be able to downgrade the graphics. I hope I am able to disable this fancy shadows. :)
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Neurath wrote: »
    When it was said 'Not everything will be in the game at launch.' I wondered what wouldn't be present at launch. Its like a riddle, forms conundrums and makes me scratch my head.

My guess is things like naval combat, parlor games and other fluff stuff. They might even skip on having metropolises available at launch since the amount of node exp required for a metropolis will take over a month anyway from my understanding
  • I prefer slightly stylised graphics because they perform better and age incredibly. Games that go for 'good grpahics' or 'realism' tend to look like ass within just a couple years, while more stylised graphics are still beautiful even after decades.

It's my hope that in the future nearly all games will have 'performance' modes where you can switch to a more stylised rendering that's easier on your PC and eyes. Like a potato mode, but still pretty...

Potato mode would also be acceptable for laggy events and low-end PCs.
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Kneifer wrote: »
    Hello,

To clarify: Many people want to play a game with top knox graphics and AoC should provide this as good as possible. But good graphics come with a cost - it requires players to have relatively strong computers.

What I really wish for is an option to downscale the graphics to meet the limited capabilities of my PC, when the game is released.

If players with mediocre PCs are still able to play the game with decent fps, the potential customer base is much bigger - especially in poorer societies. So please, make the game as visually apealing as you are capable, but do not enforce this by limiting the bars in the graphic settings.

Sincerly,

a jobless math/economy student

I reject the idea that I must have terrible graphics in my game because your computer can't handle good graphics. If you want low to mid level graphics that is what console games are for.
    But seriously games have graphics settings unless your computer is older than most peoples kids you should be able to play on low settings.
  • KneiferKneifer Member
    edited July 2020
    Aardvark wrote: »
    I reject the idea that I must have terrible graphics in my game because your computer can't handle good graphics. If you want low to mid level graphics that is what console games are for. But seriously games have graphics settings unless your computer is older than most peoples kids you should be able to play on low settings.
    Please stop this elitist behaviour. I am a PC owner and I do not want to be associated with this console rabble. But seriously, from my experience games nowadays are displaying beautiful graphics I dont really care about and my 10 y old pc cannot handle. The actual system requirements of the game my system passes barely and it would be a shame if the minimum system requirements would be raised for forced better graphics.
    edited July 2020
    Kneifer wrote: »
    Aardvark wrote: »
    I reject the idea that I must have terrible graphics in my game because your computer can't handle good graphics. If you want low to mid level graphics that is what console games are for. But seriously games have graphics settings unless your computer is older than most peoples kids you should be able to play on low settings.
    Please stop this elitist behaviour. I am a PC owner and I do not want to be associated with this console rabble. But seriously, from my experience games nowadays are displaying beautiful graphics I dont really care about and my 10 y old pc cannot handle. The actual system requirements of the game my system passes barely and it would be a shame if the minimum system requirements would be raised for forced better graphics.
    Sorry I don't want a game that looks terrible. You are going to be greatly out voted most want a game that looks good. But if you are worried min specs usually don't go up unless you get like a major expansion
  • omg CONSUL SCRUB LOLolOlOl pc master race!!11!1one!1ONE1!!!1

Just kidding. Sort of. PC is the best, but it's more consumer friendly to have both high performance options and low performance options.

Not only is it great for players to have these options, but it's great for developers, testing and all sorts of things including accessibility to the game, at no cost to the PC gamer community.

The problem between PC gamers and console gamers comes from games being designed FOR console and being ported to PC, limiting us PC gamers to poor performance, 30fps, low graphics and all that despite being able to handle it and more.

But don't worry. This is 1000% not the case with AoC. This game is a PC game, and not a port. We will get 60fps and great graphics.

Probably just a slight misunderstanding, I think some people just want the option of lower end graphics just in case.
  • edited July 2020
    Aaaaactually, most gamers want lower end graphics. It's a big part of why Blizzard games are so successful. They design their games with lower end graphics so that more people are able to access their titles.

And generally speaking, no one plays an MMO for graphics. MMOs will never have good graphics compared to non-MMO titles. StarCitizen is breath-taking and amazing graphics for an MMO, but I can boot up an old game like Skyrim with mods and make that look even better easily.
    omg CONSUL SCRUB LOLolOlOl pc master race!!11!1one!1ONE1!!!1

Just kidding. Sort of. PC is the best, but it's more consumer friendly to have both high performance options and low performance options.

Not only is it great for players to have these options, but it's great for developers, testing and all sorts of things including accessibility to the game, at no cost to the PC gamer community.

The problem between PC gamers and console gamers comes from games being designed FOR console and being ported to PC, limiting us PC gamers to poor performance, 30fps, low graphics and all that despite being able to handle it and more.

But don't worry. This is 1000% not the case with AoC. This game is a PC game, and not a port. We will get 60fps and great graphics.

Probably just a slight misunderstanding, I think some people just want the option of lower end graphics just in case.

I like to run 1440P@120hz I hope the game supports this. I find it to be cleaner motion than 4K@60hz but I would also be happy with that. As for the OP I have no problem with the game supporting much lower, just don't take away my good graphics option
  • Fair!
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am not sure if Moore`s Law is still applicable (Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. ) but if the game is to release in a year or two from now, then the likelihood of the game being more playable on a broader range of computers with what it is now is highly increased.
  • akabear wrote: »
    I am not sure if Moore`s Law is still applicable (Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years. ) but if the game is to release in a year or two from now, then the likelihood of the game being more playable on a broader range of computers with what it is now is highly increased.

Earlier in 2019, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang declared that Moore's Law is no longer possible.
  • FathymFathym Member
    akabear wrote: »

Earlier in 2019, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang declared that Moore's Law is no longer possible.

Ya were plateauing in terms of transistor size so were not getting the advancement that we used to. The next major step in computer architecture is moving to quantum computing.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Bait thread.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have said the game will be playable on computers that are 3-5 years old.
    A 10 year old machine might maybe be good enough to run the game on lowest settings.
    Up side is you have 18-24 months to get work done and build a new one.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I for one don't think the graphics look bad as all. things like stiff movement and shadows need some work but that's to be expected and the devs are well aware they need polish. Other then that the only thing I've seen imo that looks ugly is the dwarf in the game play videos but it's also in low tier gear, the armor Steven's character is wearing in some of the videos looks pretty good