Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Archetypes and Off Rolling for Groups?

These questions have been gnawing at me for a bit since I first heard about the class system and how "Tank" is effectively a class choice.

1. Pre level 25, will classes like the fighter be able to pseudo-tank in the event that a tank is unavailable?
2. Post level 25, will other classes be able to tank effectively if they spec tank as their sub-class?
Both of these questions can also be applied to healers.

I bring this up because, as someone who has played quite a fair bit of WoW classic on alliance side, literally half the classes in that game have the ability to tank dungeons (Warrior, Druid, Paladin). Yet it is still quite a hassle at times to find one for a group. In the case of this game, lets say that player percentages are evenly distributed. That would mean, pre lvl 25, only 1 and 8 players will have he ability to tank content (or heal respectively). This would cause some major class supply and demand issues within the game and likely become very irritating over time, especially without a group finder mechanic.

Comments

• Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1. I think you will be able to pseudo tank before level 25. It will not be as effective. But since everyclass can equip a shield and one-handed, it is logical to assume you should be able to tank in some form.
    2. I think the primary tank archtype will excell at tanking. But other non primary tank combinations will definatly have their role in some form.
  • Options
    FathymFathym Member
    Hmm that would actually be pretty fun if its true. I would love to roll a mage and, pre lvl 25, just throw a plate set on to do some good ole fireball tanking :D
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Healawin wrote: »
    These questions have been gnawing at me for a bit since I first heard about the class system and how "Tank" is effectively a class choice.

1. Pre level 25, will classes like the fighter be able to pseudo-tank in the event that a tank is unavailable?
    2. Post level 25, will other classes be able to tank effectively if they spec tank as their sub-class?
    Both of these questions can also be applied to healers.

I bring this up because, as someone who has played quite a fair bit of WoW classic on alliance side, literally half the classes in that game have the ability to tank dungeons (Warrior, Druid, Paladin). Yet it is still quite a hassle at times to find one for a group. In the case of this game, lets say that player percentages are evenly distributed. That would mean, pre lvl 25, only 1 and 8 players will have he ability to tank content (or heal respectively). This would cause some major class supply and demand issues within the game and likely become very irritating over time, especially without a group finder mechanic.

You are assuming that fighter has anything at all to do with tank.
    In DnD a fighter could take a ton of Two weapon fighting skills with light armor and be a DPS monster...or could have plate and a tower shield...be a walking turtle. This is just a guess but since we have a main class called tank I would assume fighter doesn't mean "the other tank class". There are 8 that include tank as the main class and 7 more that include it as the 2ndary class. I would assume these are the 15 tanky classes.
  • Options
    GundelGundel Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    to answer your question Steven has stated that if you need or require a Tank, Only Primary tanks will be "Optimal"

Summoner class is a jack of all trades and can be a group filler, as stated by the team if spe'cd for it.

Long story short Nothing will do the job better than the primary as for optimal. As for possible that depends more of spec's and augments and the skill level of a player that we have no info on at this time.

Cheers hope this answers your overall question.
  • Options
    FathymFathym Member
    Gundel wrote: »
    to answer your question Steven has stated that if you need or require a Tank, Only Primary tanks will be "Optimal"

Summoner class is a jack of all trades and can be a group filler, as stated by the team if spe'cd for it.

Long story short Nothing will do the job better than the primary as for optimal. As for possible that depends more of spec's and augments and the skill level of a player that we have no info on at this time.

Ya this was what I assumed. I just hope that (especially pre level 25) its not too "optimal" to have specifically the Tank archetype. As Steven has already stated, leveling will take quite a while meaning that the play time before level 25 will be quite long. If it is too difficult to pseudo tank as other classes before sub classes are available, it could end up as pretty tedious issue.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Healawin wrote: »
    Gundel wrote: »

Ya this was what I assumed. I just hope that (especially pre level 25) its not too "optimal" to have specifically the Tank archetype. As Steven has already stated, leveling will take quite a while meaning that the play time before level 25 will be quite long. If it is too difficult to pseudo tank as other classes before sub classes are available, it could end up as pretty tedious issue.

I would think you could tank world trash with a fighter/tank for those levels. But again if you want bosses better go tank/something or wait until beta and test it out.