Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Fluidity of Gameplay and Animationlocks (Combat)

Talking about my only and biggest concern of AOC.
Why is this important. The combat system is the bread and butter of each MMO. If it sucks the game sucks. Also the more freedom you have in this the more immersive the game is.

So far we know of the hybrid system and we all have seen the videos on it. This whole topic is not about tabtargeting or action based spells.
But there's still one concern: Animationlocks. Especially on Autoattacks with ur Staff or w/e Weapon you choose.
It'd really sad if for those.
Imagine walking up to a mob, then starting to use a few seplls as melee class and then being animationlocked. Especially in PVP it makes the whole experience way worse.

An example for this would be GW2 in terms of raw combat where you can always move while doing basic AA's and spells.
It feels awesome (especially in PVP)

Of course i understand big spells should be animationlocked. But that mage fireball, looks like a way2 long animationlock.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    It's too early to tell, I don't think any of the animations or stylings have even been decided on yet, pretty sure those are just placeholders until their artists get around to making their own, which will probably be around the end of alpha.
  • Options
    I'm mostly against animation locking. I tore my hair out at Terra online's animation locking. It really killed the pace of the combat which eventually killed the game for me. But for Ashes, I feel like we should have animation locking for bigger attacks, such as large spells, or something that need a bit of charge time. But otherwise, allow full movement when "auto-attacking." It's a risk-reward kind of deal. Especially in PVP.