Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Grunt Work in AoC

SamsonSamson Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Which artisan classes/sub categories do you think will be the most difficult and/or less desirable?

Personally, I am looking forward to doing the low tier grunt work that people tend to overlook or dismiss. I don't mind being at the bottom as long as the work I do is beneficial to my guild/community.
sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• Options
    Tavern owner that has to keep chasing the ERPers out of your accommodations, using a broom/bucket of water.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I can see most of the refining professions being under appreciated. They rely on others to supply their materials, and they don't produce any finished items.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    I could see this being processing.

There is an explorer aspect to gathering and the satisfaction of making cool items with crafting classes but processing is in an awkward middle ground where you take others' raw resources, transform it in some way, and give the product to others so they can make something cool with it.

Just doesn't sound that glamorous with maybe the exception of the processing skill related to animal husbandry.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know which one will be overlooked but I think it's safe to assume animal taming will be the most popular at least early on. In my opinion as well as many others I've seen it sounds like it has the most potential for fun, Fishing will probably be a close second.

I think what I'm most likely going to do is post a professions poll on my guilds forums if nobody else beats me to it in order to get a idea of what we need.
  • Options
    SamsonSamson Member
    darthaden wrote: »
    I don't know which one will be overlooked but I think it's safe to assume animal taming will be the most popular at least early on. In my opinion as well as many others I've seen it sounds like it has the most potential for fun, Fishing will probably be a close second.

I think what I'm most likely going to do is post a professions poll on my guilds forums if nobody else beats me to it in order to get a idea of what we need.

Nice, that sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't mind being a refiner if that is what's needed but I could see people getting in the habit of bringing their resources to the same people over and over and the refiners are left without work. Not sure how it will all play out.

I wonder if their will be a job board of some kind..? :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Samson wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being a refiner if that is what's needed but I could see people getting in the habit of bringing their resources to the same people over and over and the refiners are left without work. Not sure how it will all play out.
    I can see this as well. But as long as you are one of those people, this works in your favor.

What I see happening is refiners will set themselves up somewhere with a freehold and everything they need to do their refining, and then contract harvesters to deliver a caravan worth of materials a week or what ever. Then they will have people with regular orders for their refined goods who pick them up from there and take them to where they are wanted.

Since I see refiners being the bottleneck in the process, I can see them being able to set up networks like this. I don't really see it being possible any other way.

• Options
    I usually go mining/blacksmithing in games, because I am a hobbyist blacksmith myself.

But the scribe profession sounds really fun and I'm probably going to try that one out first!