Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Legendary Uniques Items Discussion And Suggestions

Wassup people,

So, at least for now we know that there will be very special items in the game that can only be owned/obtained by 1 person on each server at any given time.

So, what ideas do you have for such items? What would you like to see/have in the game?

I was recently reading some WoW lore and at least lore-wise the Hearthstone is supposed to be some super legendary tier item that only a few have ever possesed. It sort of has this mythological status "It's just a myth bro, such a powerful thing doesn't exist".
So my suggestion is an item/items (remember legendary unique - 1 per server at any time), each below is a separate item suggestion:
1. Allows the user to teleport to a preset location (tavern, guild hall, freehold, or just in the middle of a desert, so coordinate based and not object/landmark based).
2. Allows the user to teleport to a location from a list of 'marked' locations by the user - marked on the world map, so the player can't just teleport to the final boss room of a raid.
3. Allows the user to teleport to any PoI (point of interest) he has revealed on the world map - so a big ancient statue, an ancient ruin etc etc
4. Allows the user to teleport to any location on the world map that he has revealed - so if i want to teleport in the middle of the desert or in a town square i can do that.

Obviously, uses of this item should have a very long cooldown and said item should be breakable (has durability and loses durability with each use). I tend to think such an item should be a part of the gear a character can wear - so an amulet, trinket, ring, cape, crown.. Or even a bard instrument or staff.

So there would be a trade off for even wearing this item instead of something else - equiping and un equipping this item should reset the cooldown of the skill. So if i equip it i can use the skill in let's say 3 hours. If i unequip it to use something else and equip it again the cooldown should start from 3 hours again.

Comments

• Options
    I like the idea of super rare unique items that have a fun and interesting function.

I would add a decay timer to them though, so if someone gets one they can't just stash it away forever and never use it, leading to either a stockpile .. or no new items spawning. That would suck, and that character that has it might not even log back on, ever.

If not, eventually years down the track, there will be quite a few unique items floating around .. unless the other method is used preventing new ones from spawning, meaning there will never be any unique items.

Decay timer would prevent that.
  • Options
    I like the idea of super rare unique items that have a fun and interesting function.

I would add a decay timer to them though, so if someone gets one they can't just stash it away forever and never use it, leading to either a stockpile .. or no new items spawning. That would suck, and that character that has it might not even log back on, ever.

If not, eventually years down the track, there will be quite a few unique items floating around .. unless the other method is used preventing new ones from spawning, meaning there will never be any unique items.

Decay timer would prevent that.

Hmm... Well a decay timer is a good idea but not for absolutely everything.
    It is said that using those items will eventually break them and they will need repair or they will get destroyed.

They've already said there will be a sort of decay timer on things like the dragon eggs and on the mount itself after you hatch it and ride it for the first time, but for items like swords, armor or utility items like my suggestion i don't think such a timer would be fair.

I see what you mean, but i don't think there will be a person that will just stockpile legendary unique items and not use them ever just because of how rare they will be and how hard it would be to find one and maintain it. And if there really is such an evil person that somehow managed to get not 1 but multiple such items and he chooses not to use any of them and just keeps them in a safe somewhere - that's his choice.

• Options
    Fair enough. Because of my previous line of work I am used to thinking VERY long term, so I was more worried about ..

.. let's say, 10-15 years from now .. someone that has been playing since near launch (or has inherited such a player's wealth) could theoretically amass quite a few legendaries and they wouldn't be alone. Combined with all the other players and guilds that might have stockpiled stuff they could eventually become not-so-rare at all.

Bit of an economical concern if anything, but I might also be a ridiculous person.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Because of my previous line of work I am used to thinking VERY long term, so I was more worried about ..

.. let's say, 10-15 years from now .. someone that has been playing since near launch (or has inherited such a player's wealth) could theoretically amass quite a few legendaries and they wouldn't be alone. Combined with all the other players and guilds that might have stockpiled stuff they could eventually become not-so-rare at all.

Bit of an economical concern if anything, but I might also be a ridiculous person.

I don't think unique items (1 per server) would have a big if any economical impact. I do see your concern, though extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh. Maybe if legendaries were lootable in the same way crafting materials were, but only from sieges/destroyed property, would be a nice addition.

This would mitigate any possible (though extremely unlikely) stockpiling issues.

Having them lootable from corpses might be too much though, because then people would just be too scared to ever use them.
  • Options
    Oh. Maybe if legendaries were lootable in the same way crafting materials were, but only from sieges/destroyed property, would be a nice addition.

This would mitigate any possible (though extremely unlikely) stockpiling issues.

Having them lootable from corpses might be too much though, because then people would just be too scared to ever use them.

Hm, yea, that might work, although i'm not sure how good of an idea it would be.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I suspect legendaries will act like Volendrung in ESO. Once people know you have it they will start swarming you with the hopes of getting it for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if it created a bright aura or if their was some other identifying feature on a player that was wielding it too.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    I suspect legendaries will act like Volendrung in ESO. Once people know you have it they will start swarming you with the hopes of getting it for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if it created a bright aura or if their was some other identifying feature on a player that was wielding it too.

Ooooh. That sounds awesome. Would be so fun!
  • Options
    Valento92Valento92 Member
    edited July 2020
    GW2 had a cosmetic-oriented purpose initially and then expanded in usability, but mostly tied to raw attributes. I don't like the idea of replacing the projectile effects though. I think that a well-designed legendary with some effects is enough, overuse effects and it will start to look hideous.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
  • Options

That's not really how things work though. Unless a player has a unique item equipped and somehow gets corrupted while wearing it, there is literally no way to take it from them.
    You do not drop completed items upon death - only materials and processed items (smelted bars etc), no completed items (swords etc).
    Your completed items stashed in your freehold or bank also cannot be looted - only materials and processed items.
    Literally no way to lose the item unless you use it up and it gets destroyed or you are corrupted and drop it.
  • Options
    The point of the thread was to gather ideas for such unique (1 per server) items as we already know they will be in the game. No harm in making suggestions towards the devs and giving them ideas for items.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »

That's not really how things work though. Unless a player has a unique item equipped and somehow gets corrupted while wearing it, there is literally no way to take it from them.
    You do not drop completed items upon death - only materials and processed items (smelted bars etc), no completed items (swords etc).
    Your completed items stashed in your freehold or bank also cannot be looted - only materials and processed items.
    Literally no way to lose the item unless you use it up and it gets destroyed or you are corrupted and drop it.

Personally I like it when they make that kind of item uniquely dropable. It makes the weapon have a greater risk vs reward. In ESO if you are in a group that knows what it is doing, has a very meta setup and is somewhat tactical you can take control of the entire server with Volendrung. But if you are dumb or make a mistake it can just as easily be used against you. It makes for a really interesting game because you get competitive groups that will come in and try to steal the weapon. It also opens the door for people without guilds as they can "help" the group with the weapon and then swoop in and pick it up if the person using it dies.

It also makes these weapons more accessible and more fluid within the dynamics of the game. It prevents people from hoarding them as if they do, then some other guild will siege the city that houses the weapon and force the guild that owns it to fight to keep it.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    phdmonster wrote: »

Personally I like it when they make that kind of item uniquely dropable. It makes the weapon have a greater risk vs reward. In ESO if you are in a group that knows what it is doing, has a very meta setup and is somewhat tactical you can take control of the entire server with Volendrung. But if you are dumb or make a mistake it can just as easily be used against you. It makes for a really interesting game because you get competitive groups that will come in and try to steal the weapon. It also opens the door for people without guilds as they can "help" the group with the weapon and then swoop in and pick it up if the person using it dies.

It also makes these weapons more accessible and more fluid within the dynamics of the game. It prevents people from hoarding them as if they do, then some other guild will siege the city that houses the weapon and force the guild that owns it to fight to keep it.

Well, if you make them uniquely droppable then people are really going to haord those items, or sell them for a few castles worth of money so the other person can hoard it and brag to his friends.
    If you make it so that you put literal months of effort to find/craft a unique item and then can just drop whenever you are killed, nobody would use them for anything or even attempt to craft them.

ESO is very different in that their PvP is centered only in 1 zone and really has 0 impact on anything whereas in Ashes almost everything is open world and things matter.