Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Discord suggestions

Afternoon/Morning,

The #Questions channel on the discord disolves in to long conversations frequently, and in my experience, always will.

As this leads to questions being drowned out, there are a few options that can possibly help alone or in combination:

- A severe time limit. You could provide a role to various users that answer questions to allow them to bypass it.

- A channel specifically for discussing questions. It still requires people to move channels once a discussion happens, but then no one is interrupting a completely unrelated discussion.

- Moderation that deletes anything that isn't a question or answer. Again, a role for trusted answerers could help.

- And lastly, someone audits questions, and not just anyone can talk in the channel

Comments

• Options
    What about a private text channel where pending questions can be moved to, and then crossed off once answered?
  • Options
    ExcylisExcylis Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just make it a rule that answering questions takes #1 priority don't need to be that complex
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    If only they had a website where you could just write your question as a completely new topic, so that it wouldn't get drowned out as easily. That way, the question could remain, people could still participate in discussions about it, and everything would just generally be better.

Such a website would then act similar to how things used to be back in the Roman Republic, where they had a town square set aside for such things.

I believe they called that square - and the discussions within - the forum. Seems like an appropriate name for such a website!
  • Options
    noaani wrote: »
    If only they had a website where you could just write your question as a completely new topic, so that it wouldn't get drowned out as easily. That way, the question could remain, people could still participate in discussions about it, and everything would just generally be better.

Such a website would then act similar to how things used to be back in the Roman Republic, where they had a town square set aside for such things.

I believe they called that square - and the discussions within - the forum. Seems like an appropriate name for such a website!

That's obscene. I can't even imagine such a thing.
  • Options
    GalrenGalren Member
    What about a private text channel where pending questions can be moved to, and then crossed off once answered?

Works, similar to my last one
    Excylis wrote: »
    Just make it a rule that answering questions takes #1 priority don't need to be that complex

I have never seen that work
  • Options
    GalrenGalren Member

Sure, you could remove #questions from the discord, but then people just ask in other channels. So talking about the forums doesn't help the discord
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Galren wrote: »

Sure, you could remove #questions from the discord, but then people just ask in other channels. So talking about the forums doesn't help the discord

if you to change the discord then talk to the mods in the discord as the forums are an alien place to most discord users
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    GalrenGalren Member
    Nagash wrote: »

if you to change the discord then talk to the mods in the discord as the forums are an alien place to most discord users

No such way to do that on the discord, I asked a moderator first.
  • Options
    ExcylisExcylis Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sure, you could remove #questions from the discord, but then people just ask in other channels.
    That happens anyway constantly

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020

You realize you are essentially posting on the forums asking for someone to find a way to turn something that is not designed to function like a forum in to something that functions like a forum.

I mean, it is so bad at doing what you want it to do, that you had to come here in order to ask them to make it do what here does.
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    It happens.

It's not such a big deal that it needs to be changed.

80% of the time when you remind people to stay in topic they will. The mods step in when they need to.

It was good during the influx. Lots of people got lots of questions answered. Dont really need to fix its it's not that broken.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    nightragnernightragner Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A Voice TEXT chat is NEEDED for discord... please @StevenSharif
    This have wanted for ages now and would limit the complaints in Text channels when Voice chat links something or multiple things and would limit the need to leave the Ashes VC for another discord!?