Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My hopes and wishes for Dünir dwarves

BrocknarBrocknar Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Hello,

I am a huge fan of Dwarf culture. The idea of being a bearded, beer-drinking little guy who lives deep in the mountain to mine for treasures truly fascinates me. When I heard that Dünir will be exactly about that, I got super hyped. However, looking at the existing Pre-Alpha 4K gameplay I couldn't get any insights on how Dwarf cities will look like and what their "style" will be.

Hope & Wishes #1 Mining animations

I want mining for minerals to feel authentic and immersive. Yes, it is okay for a single mining process to take multiple seconds. Let the character swing their pickaxe. Let us feel the impact of the steel entering the rock. When mining feels good from an animation/sound design point of view, people won't stop doing it.

Hopes & Wishes #2 Dünir cities

What I hope the most is that we're able to build cities "into the mountain" - e.g. if a node spawns next to a mountain/inside a mountain, that the city looks a bit like this (Ozammar, Dragon Age):

1000?cb=20120518012308

Hopes & Wishes #3 Customizable armor/weapons

I am aware that crafting will have already lots of customization options. What I am hoping for is that anyone who does a crafting profession can put initials into the weapon so someone closely inspecting the weapon sees who crafted it.

Other than that, I just hope that playing dwarves in Ashes feels a bit like this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Brocknar wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am aware that crafting will have already lots of customization options. What I am hoping for is that anyone who does a crafting profession can put initials into the weapon so someone closely inspecting the weapon sees who crafted it.
    The 3D art of a weapon is unlikely to have any initial or anything on it, but the examine window of the item will likely have the crafters name.

In terms of cities, there was talk about nodes in the underrealm existing, but we have since been told that his will not be a thing. I can see this kind of thing being something they add to the game post launch though.

• Options
    I too am a huge fan of dwarves!
  • Options
    The dawi approve this statement , we want to be able to crush our ennemy in with gunpowder and strengh and then they will hurt themselves against our unbreakable dwarfhold.
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
  • Options
    yakoyakdiddyyakoyakdiddy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As a longtime fan of Tolkien's depiction of Dwarves, their history, culture, and of course how they went on to inspire countless other franchises, you have my axe.

I too would love to join a node that has a city carved inside the mountain, akin to Erebor, or just below it, like Khazad-Dum.
    A proud kingdom with beautiful pillars, vast halls, and treasures/ mithril to behold!
  • Options
    Thoghli RamheartThoghli Ramheart Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Come join Clan Ramheart in the making of a dwarven node!!!
  • Options
    Haha. My MMO career started with EQ (circa 2000) as a dwarven female cleric because you could have beards on female dwarfs and I thought that was awesome. When they released Luclin they updated the models and dropped the female beards which annoyed me to no end. I was very happy to hear female dwarfs in AoC would have beards. I may have to resurrect her.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    So you want Ironforge?
  • Options
    I'm happy with a new type of Dwarf by this point. I however will probably not play as a dwarf without a beard. This depends on racials though. It will take more than just 1 aspect of a choice to make me pick it.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East