Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption System and Streamers/Mass Griefing (Solution)

XraelXrael Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Had a heated argument over how constant pks would affect streamers. However, in the lengthy and somewhat meaningless argument, i did get a pretty good solution to the problem, that I admit, is far less intrusive and more acceptable than the ones i proposed. The idea is to re-spawn players randomly on the world after they are killed. This would prevent mass griefing as it would be difficult to traverse a large distance in this game, especially at lower levels.

Sure it might be annoying to get tped elsewhere while ur in the middle of a quest, but as long as the region ur tped to has relevant quests for ur level, it isn't as much of an issue.

I don't know if this has already been implemented, but if it hasn't yet been done, then hey, at least my time wasn't wasted but if it is, then great, now i know.

If u want to read the mess, here u go:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44758/corruption-system/p1

EDIT - A system similar to this exists where the corrupt player is tped instead. Just a slight addition where players that assist the pk also gain corruption will solve the problem as then multiple players will be tped at once if they gang up on someone. (Note: It should take something like 2 or 3 pk assists to gain the corruption level of an actual pk)

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    stop making new thread and stick to the already established one for the love of god
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Spawns are random spawns for Corrupted. Why couldn't you just have used the other thread though?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    stop making new thread and stick to the already established one for the love of god
    Neurath wrote: »
    Spawns are random spawns for Corrupted. Why couldn't you just have used the other thread though?

Way too long and pointless. I don't want someone to read like 3 pages of pointless arguments before they get to the solution. I'd gladly delete the discussion if i could.
  • Options
    Don't worry, people have followed the old thread and would just see the new messages since last viewed.

If you want to have a decent thread, do research before opening a thread. Some threads are more popular than others. Besides that, I see no reason to continue this thread.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Way too long and pointless. I don't want someone to read like 3 pages of pointless arguments before they get to the solution. I'd gladly delete the discussion if i could.

and you have the solution? trust me when I say I have seen every ones "solution" to the corruption system and all I can say is let the devs do their jobs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Wait....really? This is pretty bad because, again, it relies on u to be corrupted to stop the mass griefing. We don't know exactly how many kills/assists it takes to be corrupted, but it would definitely be more than 1. So again, it comes back to the whole point of a massive amount of trolls griefing and that it would take a long amount of time and multiple deaths of the individual, before all of them are teleported elsewhere.

HOWEVER, this has an easy fix. Just make assists give u corruption as well. So multiple players will be tped if they gang up on one person repeatedly.
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This honestly sounds like a solution to a problem that may not even exist yet.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    This honestly sounds like a solution to a problem that may not even exist yet.

True, it definitely isn't a problem that exists or is going to exist for a long time. But it is a problem that will arise close to release/Beta.
  • Options
    I'm a believer of Consensual PvP and also a Bounty Hunter. You alluded in the other post of griefers killing someone repeatedly. Some Corruptions will disappear after one death, other corruptions will linger until multiple deaths. In Ashes lots of people will be grouped together. You are effectively wanting an exploit system. If players attack a non-combatant they will be corrupted if they kill a player.

It is not fair to corrupt a whole group because if most of the group are 'normal' players, they shouldn't be collaborators in 'murder' or done for 'assisted murder'. If people are in a group for PvP they will most likely be doing PvP with meaning like an Arena or Guild War Objectives.

The systems will be tested and corrupted players have reduced combat ability. If someone is killed repeatedly by griefers, it shows how bad the player is, not how bad the system is. You are allowed to fight back.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm a believer of Consensual PvP and also a Bounty Hunter. You alluded in the other post of griefers killing someone repeatedly. Some Corruptions will disappear after one death, other corruptions will linger until multiple deaths. In Ashes lots of people will be grouped together. You are effectively wanting an exploit system. If players attack a non-combatant they will be corrupted if they kill a player.

It is not fair to corrupt a whole group because if most of the group are 'normal' players, they shouldn't be collaborators in 'murder' or done for 'assisted murder'. If people are in a group for PvP they will most likely be doing PvP with meaning like an Arena or Guild War Objectives.

The systems will be tested and corrupted players have reduced combat ability. If someone is killed repeatedly by griefers, it shows how bad the player is, not how bad the system is. You are allowed to fight back.

Again, like i said, ur not dealing with single digit griefers here. If it is just a few, you can easily fight back. We're talking about multiple.

Also pk assists should give lesser corruption that pk itself. So it should take 2 or 3 pk assists to reach the corruption gained from a pk itself. I've edited my post to include this info.
  • Options
    If there are different levels of corruption gained for various roles in a PK, it means griefers will group up and grief in groups to minimise the corruption levels. I do not understand your fascination with pinpointing certain players over other players.

It is true, you could be griefed by a group of players, but if they are active combatants and a player is slain then all will receive the relevant corruption.

The system is designed to punish and constrict. It is not supposed to be an in-depth system which allows players to exploit the system. You would receive more corruption for killing a lower player but in terms of the current system, it is good on paper. When NDA lifts then PI (Phoenix Initiates) can explain how the implementation works and the benefits and flaws.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

That is what discussions are, lots of people putting in ideas to come to a better conclusion than one person would by themselves.

When you take you the discussion part of it, the conslusion means far less.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    If there are different levels of corruption gained for various roles in a PK, it means griefers will group up and grief in groups to minimise the corruption levels. I do not understand your fascination with pinpointing certain players over other players.

It is true, you could be griefed by a group of players, but if they are active combatants and a player is slain then all will receive the relevant corruption.

The system is designed to punish and constrict. It is not supposed to be an in-depth system which allows players to exploit the system. You would receive more corruption for killing a lower player but in terms of the current system, it is good on paper. When NDA lifts then PI (Phoenix Initiates) can explain how the implementation works and the benefits and flaws.

Basically what we have to do is wait and see. Alpha is coming soon, so lets just wait.
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »

That is what discussions are, lots of people putting in ideas to come to a better conclusion than one person would by themselves.

Fair enough. Personally, however, I wouldn't want to read 2 lengthy pages of discussion in order to find out the solution. Especially 2 pages of an argument like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Had a heated argument over how constant pks would affect streamers. However, in the lengthy and somewhat meaningless argument, i did get a pretty good solution to the problem, that I admit, is far less intrusive and more acceptable than the ones i proposed. The idea is to re-spawn players randomly on the world after they are killed. This would prevent mass griefing as it would be difficult to traverse a large distance in this game, especially at lower levels.

Sure it might be annoying to get tped elsewhere while ur in the middle of a quest, but as long as the region ur tped to has relevant quests for ur level, it isn't as much of an issue.

I don't know if this has already been implemented, but if it hasn't yet been done, then hey, at least my time wasn't wasted but if it is, then great, now i know.

If u want to read the mess, here u go:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/44758/corruption-system/p1

EDIT - A system similar to this exists where the corrupt player is tped instead. Just a slight addition where players that assist the pk also gain corruption will solve the problem as then multiple players will be tped at once if they gang up on someone. (Note: It should take something like 2 or 3 pk assists to gain the corruption level of an actual pk)

You're describing corruption. We literally tried explaining it to you through-out the entire thread and you kept calling us idiots, essentially.
  • Options

Fair enough. Personally, however, I wouldn't want to read 2 lengthy pages of discussion in order to find out the solution. Especially 2 pages of an argument like that.

2 pages is nothing.

And people don't read the whole thing to find where the discussion is at - they either start at the beginning and only reply to the OP, or they read the end to see where the discussion is at, decide if they want to join, and then most will read the discussion to get themselves fully cought up.

Welcome to how forums work. There is reading involved.
  • Options
    How is that a problem? If if you PK someone, u will get " karma points " and if u will get killed while u have karma, u will lose gear. Question now. Do u want to lose your precious gear because u killed streamer? DOnt forget that streamer will have guards aswell aka real ppl, and they will help him to kill u if u PK'ed him.
    I played Lineage, and bassicly, u dont want to PK anyone, because losing gear is sooooooo sad :(
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The corruption system isn't broken.

Stop trying to fix it.

After 3 years of debate we have identified one thing in the corruption system that needs tweaking. Steven has said they want to test it as written in Alpha, and then will address the glaring concern the community has.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    After 3 years of debate we have identified one thing in the corruption system that needs tweaking. Steven has said they want to test it as written in Alpha, and then will address the glaring concern the community has.
    Was that only three years of debate on the corruption system?

Felt a lot longer than that...

It was good debate, productive debate, and is the reason most of the more seasoned posters on these forums are all on the same page in terms of corruption. It just felt like a lot more than 3 years.

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Stop trying to fix it.

How does the corruption system address waiting for them to pull a hard mob then ranging them in the back down to low health then running off and letting the mob kill them. How does it stop them from doing this to someone for hrs so they can’t get that quest mini boss as since the mob kills them and not you there would be no corruption right ?
  • Options
    Aardvark wrote: »

Stop trying to fix it.

How does the corruption system address waiting for them to pull a hard mob then ranging them in the back down to low health then running off and letting the mob kill them. How does it stop them from doing this to someone for hrs so they can’t get that quest mini boss as since the mob kills them and not you there would be no corruption right ?

There is no guarantee at this point that there won't be a timer after you attack a player that will see you gain corruption if they die during.

While this is not confirmed, it is a really easy fix.
  • Options
    Was that only three years of debate on the corruption system?

Felt a lot longer than that...

It was good debate, productive debate, and is the reason most of the more seasoned posters on these forums are all on the same page in terms of corruption. It just felt like a lot more than 3 years.

Tell me about it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited July 2020
    [Redacted]
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020

Stop trying to fix it.

I asked the same question in my previous post and someone commented that you wont be able to see player health. I think this solves the issue fairly easily.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Stop trying to fix it.

I asked the same question in my previous post and someone commented that you wont be able to see player health. I think this solves the issue fairly easily.
    Not being able to see player health would make pvp very strange. Having no clue if you should use a small quick attack or a big one no idea if you should cc and make a run for it. If you can’t see percent enemy health combat will loose so much of the thinking part Also how would you know if they need a heal ?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Health isn't percentage based, if you know your skill damages you can regulate mana really effectively by not overcommitting resources to a bigger attack than you need. In terms of healers, we can see the group health in groups, I imagine you can see it in Raids too. It is difficult to tell though because in the 4k gameplay video the players don't seem to be in a Raid Group. If i have to click on people to see their healths in PvP I won't like the system. It would take too long to cycle through everyone. Thankfully Cleric is DPS/Heal. Will see how it goes. Haven't played the MMO yet.

Edit: Not percentage based for combatants. Not sure what a non-combatant would display in terms of health.

Double Edit: So there seems to be no difference in terms of combatant or non-combatant. My knowledge gets updated all the time but matters are still subject to change.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    Health isn't percentage based, if you know your skill damages you can regulate mana really effectively by not overcommitting resources to a bigger attack than you need. In terms of healers, we can see the group health in groups, I imagine you can see it in Raids too. It is difficult to tell though because in the 4k gameplay video the players don't seem to be in a Raid Group. If i have to click on people to see their healths in PvP I won't like the system. It would take too long to cycle through everyone. Thankfully Cleric is DPS/Heal. Will see how it goes. Haven't played the MMO yet.

Edit: Not percentage based for combatants. Not sure what a non-combatant would display in terms of health.

Double Edit: So there seems to be no difference in terms of combatant or non-combatant. My knowledge gets updated all the time but matters are still subject to change.

If health is displayed, then this issue can easily become problematic as it will be very easy for high level players to grief low levels. You dont have to kill them. Just control ur dmg to put them as low as possible so they have to constantly keep using potions/bandages etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yes. In the older days I believe the health was partially warped in such a circumstance but I believe the situation has changed. Hence why I told you previously health wouldn't be shown in the form WoW takes for example. I can't remember who said there will be time counts if players are killed by an NPC after interference from a player.

I do not know where the plans are directed in this instance. It would be wise to conceal Non-Combatant Healths and only have them appear when they become a combatant. I think it would be an easy differentiation seeing as there is a difference between Green, Red and Purple Players. However, in terms of actual active situations, it would be too difficult to not see the stats of friends and foes.

You could harass a player and keep them low, but, you could initiate an actual PvP fight or be corrupted because they purposefully die to an NPC in a time window. It is not a case of High Levels griefing Low Levels, it is a case of Identical Levels (or near identical) performing that role. Higher levels will be able to one or two shot low levels if the current meta remains the same. It would be difficult not to kill a low level if you are max level. The issue appears between similar levels, but, again you could simply be forced to fight.

The aggressor would be Purple and the target could simply turn purple too and attack you.

Edit: There is a difference between being Flagged for PvP and being 'in combat' though. I think in terms of Flags health should be concealed, rather than being out of combat completely.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yes. In the older days I believe the health was partially warped in such a circumstance but I believe the situation has changed. Hence why I told you previously health wouldn't be shown in the form WoW takes for example. I can't remember who said there will be time counts if players are killed by an NPC after interference from a player.

I do not know where the plans are directed in this instance. It would be wise to conceal Non-Combatant Healths and only have them appear when they become a combatant. I think it would be an easy differentiation seeing as there is a difference between Green, Red and Purple Players. However, in terms of actual active situations, it would be too difficult to not see the stats of friends and foes.

You could harass a player and keep them low, but, you could initiate an actual PvP fight or be corrupted because they purposefully die to an NPC in a time window. It is not a case of High Levels griefing Low Levels, it is a case of Identical Levels (or near identical) performing that role. Higher levels will be able to one or two shot low levels if the current meta remains the same. It would be difficult not to kill a low level if you are max level. The issue appears between similar levels, but, again you could simply be forced to fight.

The aggressor would be Purple and the target could simply turn purple too and attack you.

Edit: There is a difference between being Flagged for PvP and being 'in combat' though. I think in terms of Flags health should be concealed, rather than being out of combat completely.

We we be able to downrank skills? I remember having 2 of the same heal on my hotbar with different ranks as rank 7 at the time was the biggest but rank 4 was the most mana efficient if you were not in a crunch. It also helped prevent over heal. If so you could also downrank your attack to leave low levels alive.