Freehold placement and Node topic

arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I´d like to know if there is any info avaiable on the following 2 topics.
The first one is about the placement of assets on the freehold and second one about placements of freeholds themselves.

So are there any restrictions planned on where i can place my house or tavern on the freehold plot?

And is it possible to place freeholds in close proximity to nodes? Since nodes are ever growing with it´s stages i can see that being a problem.

What i specificly have in mind is to kinda merge the node city with some freeholds that are more utility based such as taverns, shops and other services like processing that would fit well to the city. I know that those features are somewhat hosted in the nodes, but i imagine it could be fun to expand to city with usefull stuff very close to it.
I want to have some kind of black market right infront of the node´s gates that expands like shopping area next to the roads on both sides. Having no restrictions on asset placement on freeholds could help model a merchant road that is looks a bit urban since taverns and shops could be placed closely next to each other to create narrow alleys! :)

I know that this could cause some problems and collide with other system, but i think this could add to the individuality of nodes development.

Edit: Also what are your ideas how you want to develop your node? Maybe a distant and cozy dwarven village in the mountains, that puts out the best iron to craft their armor known in all of verra?
Any ideas to for tools to enhance node development choices?

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    We are not sure how close a freehold can be to the node itself right now, but it would make sense that it can't be too close.

Also, when you place a freehold, there is an area around it (also of an unknown size) where others can't place freeholds. They don't want players building makeshift towns like this.

As for where you place it, other than the restrictions from the above, the only things they have said are on spawn points (mobs, resources etc) and points of interest, which are where dungeons and such can spawn. You are able to build next to roads and such if you like, which seems to be what you'd be after.
  • arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    noaani wrote: »
    We are not sure how close a freehold can be to the node itself right now, but it would make sense that it can't be too close.

Also, when you place a freehold, there is an area around it (also of an unknown size) where others can't place freeholds. They don't want players building makeshift towns like this.

As for where you place it, other than the restrictions from the above, the only things they have said are on spawn points (mobs, resources etc) and points of interest, which are where dungeons and such can spawn. You are able to build next to roads and such if you like, which seems to be what you'd be after.

From a design perspective i don´t quite get why Steven wouldn´t want people to have the freedom to place stuff where and how they want. I remember him echoing your point though, but i personally disagree.
    But i can imagine it being more of a server architecture problem, since they would lose control on polygon density in clustered areas, which causes increased server load and issues.
    Maybe restrict clustered freeholds more in the quantity of assets that can be placed? Could be an option

arsnn wrote: »

From a design perspective i don´t quite get why Steven wouldn´t want people to have the freedom to place stuff where and how they want. I remember him echoing your point though, but i personally disagree.
    But i can imagine it being more of a server architecture problem, since they would lose control on polygon density in clustered areas, which causes increased server load and issues.
    Maybe restrict clustered freeholds more in the quantity of assets that can be placed? Could be an option

This is one possibility, but so is the desire to not allow players to be able to build all the infrustructure they want in one area.

If you have to travel even a little to get to the next freehold over, the game is better for it.

This is one possibility, but so is the desire to not allow players to be able to build all the infrustructure they want in one area.

If you have to travel even a little to get to the next freehold over, the game is better for it.

Oh yeah thats true. It might hurt the interdependencies between other nodes or players if everything is avaiable closely. But then again you could limit the amount of freeholds that can cluster, so that this won´t overtake the game.
    Im personally a bit discontent with how they strike balance between sandbox tools and themepark structuring on the node system, but im also aware that scope creap and a bit more simplicity of key features has to be regarded. But I´d would like to have a bit more tools and spots in the nodes where players can add their unique touch and Clustered freeholds could ad to that imo.
    I know Steven said something about how he didn´t like how AA plots lacked structure and were basically a copy paste. AA was certaintly not good at building guild areas and such.

Oh yeah thats true. It might hurt the interdependencies between other nodes or players if everything is avaiable closely. But then again you could limit the amount of freeholds that can cluster, so that this won´t overtake the game.
    Im personally a bit discontent with how they strike balance between sandbox tools and themepark structuring on the node system, but im also aware that scope creap and a bit more simplicity of key features has to be regarded. But I´d would like to have a bit more tools and spots in the nodes where players can add their unique touch and Clustered freeholds could ad to that imo.
    I know Steven said something about how he didn´t like how AA plots lacked structure and were basically a copy paste. AA was certaintly not good at building guild areas and such.

Indeed, the way AA did land partician was quite bad.

In terms of guilds though, probably the best thing to point out is that if you and your guild work to provide enough experience to a node, you can get an in node guild hall. That is better than using up the space of someones freehold.

I think the idea of a guild clustering around one area is also something they specifically want to avoid. It is worth pointing out though, that your guild will want to spread out over a number of nodes for various reasons, and you can only place a freehold in the ZoI of the node you are a citizen of.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    No Freeholds cannot be anywhere near the node. There is a minimum standoff distance for each node that allows the node to reach a metro sized footprint without the freeholds being absorbed.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    edited July 2020
    Jahlon wrote: »
    No Freeholds cannot be anywhere near the node. There is a minimum standoff distance for each node that allows the node to reach a metro sized footprint without the freeholds being absorbed.

Destroyer of my dreams :(

Jahlon do you have any plans on how/where you gonna develop your node? Or is that top-secret information?

Also is placement of houses, farms and stuff on the freehold completely unrestricted as of now?