For those that think the game is too expensive

XraelXrael Member
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
OK if you've just found out about Ashes of Creation and you're wondering why the game has a slightly higher sub fee and packages than most MMOs, then this post will help clear things up a little.

First, let us discuss the packages as these are easier to explain.

These packages give u EARLY access to the game alongside certain cosmetics, such as mounts, pets, emote collections and additional character customization. These in no way affect your actual game in anyway, just your appearance. The only argument you could make against any of these, is against the additional character customization benefits as that shouldn't really be something that people have to pay for.

These packages USED to vary all the way from 25$, up to 10,000$ on kick starter. Was it a bit much? Absolutely. However, is it understandable when u consider that this game is almost all self funded and not corporate funded and that packages above the Braver of Worlds level (500$), were given lifetime subscriptions to the game? Absolutely.

Right now, the packages range from 75$ to 375$ and have a lot of benefits that justify the price. This game is still very much in its development stage and still needs a ton of funds. So its only normal to look for other ways of obtaining funds that are non corporate related. None of these options are forced on you. If you like the skins that are offered and want early access to the game then go ahead and pay for it. Its a good way to support a game that u think has potential.

Now, lets come to the actual game cost.

World of Warcraft: BOX COST - 50$
SUB FEE - 11$
EXPANSION COST - 60$
TOTAL COST FOR FIRST YEAR - 171$
TOTAL COST FOR TWO YEARS - 363$

Final Fantasy 14: BOX COST - 60$ (base+prev expansions)
SUB FEE - 13$
EXPANSION COST - 40$
TOTAL COST FOR FIRST YEAR - 203$
TOTAL COST FOR TWO YEARS - 400$

Ashes of Creation: BOX COST - 0$
SUB FEE - 15$
EXPANSION COST - 0$
TOTAL COST FOR FIRST YEAR - 180$
TOTAL COST FOR TWO YEARS - 360$

Now when you look at this info, you might think that AoC charging the same price as the best MMOs atm, is kind of too much. But here is the difference. Both WoW and FF14 are better equipped to deal with players quitting the game for short periods than AoC is. This is because both WoW and FF14 have box costs and expansions. So even if a player quits during an expansion, they can easily make up the lost money with the next expansion.

Since AoC relies on purely subscriptions for revenue, they have to make content that is enjoyable on a regular basis as otherwise they will suffer losses that neither WoW nor FF14 will experience. So they cannot be like WoW where you alternate between good and bad expansions as they will lose a significant sum of money from players cancelling their subscriptions and since there are no expansion costs, there is no way to make this money back.

I hope I've made things clearer.

As for those of you wondering why I chose WoW and FF14 as the two MMOs to compare AoC to, its because these two are THE MOST POPULAR MMOs that exist right now. It just goes to show why a subscription based model is more successful than a free to play one. I love GW2, but because its F2P, there is simply not enough revenue for the developers to release enough content to keep players engaged on a regular basis.

Comments

• AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    OK if you've just found out about Ashes of Creation and you're wondering why the game has a slightly higher sub fee and packages than most MMOs, then this post will help clear things up a little.

These packages give u EARLY access to the game alongside certain cosmetics, such as mounts, pets, emote collections and additional character customization. These in no way affect your actual game in anyway, just your appearance. The only argument you could make against any of these, is against the additional character customization benefits as that shouldn't really be something that people have to pay for.

These packages USED to vary all the way from 25$, up to 10,000$ on kick starter. Was it a bit much? Absolutely. However, is it understandable when u consider that this game is almost all self funded and not corporate funded and that packages above the Braver of Worlds level (500$), were given lifetime subscriptions to the game? Absolutely.

Right now, the packages range from 75$ to 375$ and have a lot of benefits that justify the price. This game is still very much in its development stage and still needs a ton of funds. So its only normal to look for other ways of obtaining funds that are non corporate related. None of these options are forced on you. If you like the skins that are offered and want early access to the game then go ahead and pay for it. Its a good way to support a game that u think has potential.

SUB FEE - 11$
    EXPANSION COST - 60$

SUB FEE - 13$
    EXPANSION COST - 40$

SUB FEE - 15$
    EXPANSION COST - 0$

Now when you look at this info, you might think that AoC charging the same price as the best MMOs atm, is kind of too much. But here is the difference. Both WoW and FF14 are better equipped to deal with players quitting the game for short periods than AoC is. This is because both WoW and FF14 have box costs and expansions. So even if a player quits during an expansion, they can easily make up the lost money with the next expansion.

Since AoC relies on purely subscriptions for revenue, they have to make content that is enjoyable on a regular basis as otherwise they will suffer losses that neither WoW nor FF14 will experience. So they cannot be like WoW where you alternate between good and bad expansions as they will lose a significant sum of money from players cancelling their subscriptions and since there are no expansion costs, there is no way to make this money back.

As for those of you wondering why I chose WoW and FF14 as the two MMOs to compare AoC to, its because these two are THE MOST POPULAR MMOs that exist right now. It just goes to show why a subscription based model is more successful than a free to play one. I love GW2, but because its F2P, there is simply not enough revenue for the developers to release enough content to keep players engaged on a regular basis.

Sub based games are good because "free games" often end up being the most expensive game you ever play at least if you want to be competitive
  • XraelXrael Member
    Aardvark wrote: »

SUB FEE - 11$
    EXPANSION COST - 60$

SUB FEE - 13$
    EXPANSION COST - 40$

SUB FEE - 15$
    EXPANSION COST - 0$

Sub based games are good because "free games" often end up being the most expensive game you ever play at least if you want to be competitive

True
  • If you think the game is too expensive, get a job
  • Think of it this way, if you go to a movie and buy a few snacks it will be 15+ for 2-3hrs of entertainment. On the other hand for 15/month I get as much entertainment as I want
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nexmagus wrote: »
    Think of it this way, if you go to a movie and buy a few snacks it will be 15+ for 2-3hrs of entertainment. On the other hand for 15/month I get as much entertainment as I want

And unlike the theator playing this game can't cause a manditory 2 week lockdown. Although launch may cause a voluntary 1 week lockdown for me lol
  • GloryGlory Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nightly wrote: »
    If you think the game is too expensive, get a job

Or just perspective. A month of playing is like 2-3 starbucks drinks or, after taxes, maybe even one meal at a fast food restaurant. For an entire month!

MMORPGs are still among the best bang for you buck for entertainment value. Ashes of Creation is no exception to that rule.