Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tanking Problems

Hello,

I have a concern in regards to tanking. From my experience being a tank main, when killing a boss/mob with a large party, a lot of the times the bosses attacks ground markers get mixed in with my allies abilities and I end up taking the hit I could of avoided. I've seen in some game play that some of the mages abilities take up a lot of ground space so I'm wondering how hard will it be to differentiate the two (player/mob markers). Will there a place under settings to maybe turn down the opacity of parties abilities? Or maybe even a entity hider in the settings that just turns off the ground markers for players completely.

If there is nothing, or not in your design I will trust the decision and overcome it like every other game as this mainly only affects tanks/close combat classes and would just be a quality of life fix for us.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this!

Comments

• Options
    AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    A similar issue is how dangerous is it going to be to try to melee dps a boss. Wildstar comes to mind
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    Wild Star was a mess due to the telegraph system. I've raised the point before that spells cast onto the ground are lazy design features. They have improved the effects since I last brought it up. I'm sure there will be options to fine tune what you see and what you dont see. Particle effects are often customisable in games. At least the effects are less than BDO effects from what I've seen so far. Totems have disappeared from recent gameplay too (Not sure if they are fully gone) which I appreciate. The game will go through fine tuning and reports will be easier to relay in in-game testing.

Edit: There is still a screen blackening skill in the latest 4k Footage, tamed down from Apocalypse but still present. I would hope it can be adjusted to not be so ridiculous, yet, if it is a CC Blind I doubt it we will be able to adjust it.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Wild Star was a mess due to the telegraph system. I've raised the point before that spells cast onto the ground are lazy design features. They have improved the effects since I last brought it up. I'm sure there will be options to fine tune what you see and what you dont see. Particle effects are often customisable in games. At least the effects are less than BDO effects from what I've seen so far. Totems have disappeared from recent gameplay too (Not sure if they are fully gone) which I appreciate. The game will go through fine tuning and reports will be easier to relay in in-game testing.

I agree but i also should rephrase my statement a bit. So sometimes like when, for instance, a boss would leave poison or fire on the ground and your mages are also leaving things on the ground, it gets hard to differentiate what is safe to stand in. that is kinda what i meant like can you turn their spells "off/diminshed" to avoid this. And also this can all come down to "Just get good kid" and thats why I'm saying it would be a quality of life fix.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, I agree with you, messing with particle effects can reduce what stems out of bosses. It would help if there are in-depth settings we can change rather than a one size fits all system setting. It shouldn't be too difficult to determine what are friendly spells and what aren't. The problems will come in PvP in terms of spell recognition. In my tanking experience I would always position the boss so that the Raid hits it in the rear, meanwhile my tank group is at the front. Therefore we never collided in terms of the DPS Spells and the Boss spells. I would often have Melee DPS with me unless they had particle flares too (Which is rare).
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2020
    TimmyTips wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a concern in regards to tanking. From my experience being a tank main, when killing a boss/mob with a large party, a lot of the times the bosses attacks ground markers get mixed in with my allies abilities and I end up taking the hit I could of avoided.

You're in luck.

Mobs in Ashes won't have those stencils, or attack ground markers, so you need not be concerned about missing them.

There will be other signifiers that can attack is incoming, but not stencils.
  • Options
    IYIIYI Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My guess is there will be the ability to toggle on and off ally aoe circles in order to make tanks less tricky to play in raids / dungeons.
    "Imagine dying to a broken sword."
    fzzNnU7.png

• Options
    First:

As said, I don't believe mobs will have the big ATTACK INCOMING HERE ground markers you're worried about missing.

Second:

Generally, particle effects are greatly exaggerated during testing phases and toned down for release, so we should be seeing less intensive particle effects in-game.