Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Alt player charterers on the same server?

TheBlackLambTheBlackLamb Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
1. So there will be alt charterers on the same server?
2. I was under the impression that it was one charterer per servers?
3. Are housing and storage shared with your charterers, if you can have more charterers on the same server? if so, fine, that would be a good balance, at least people cant land grab everywhere with 2-to-what ever charterers, and not have 2x-to-what ever charterers storage per account.
My only issue is that, could this kinda ruin the player driven economy and player interaction system of having to make players work with each other, I understand that the artisan trees would be so in depth that it would take a lot of time to finish it, along with having limited use recipes, but I do worry about the out come down the road after launch where players would have multiple finished charterers and not need anyone to work with, but on the other hand they worked for it, they put the effort into leveling the charterers.

F6lQFCc.png
F6lQFCc.png

Comments

  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2020
    I hope you can't have alts on same server because if you can I might have to level up one of each...Like in DDO I had about a dozen max level multi TR charcters...please no
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure your allowed alts. If not they're going to run into issues with not allowing people to change their main class.

    I'm also pretty sure in a old interview Steven said he wants spies to be a thing in Ashes. Create a alt, have it join a enemy guild, and pass information to your main guild. This will make guild recruitment interesting. Competitive pvp guilds will have to think twice before letting randoms in.
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    darthaden wrote: »
    Pretty sure your allowed alts. If not they're going to run into issues with not allowing people to change their main class.

    I'm also pretty sure in a old interview Steven said he wants spies to be a thing in Ashes. Create a alt, have it join a enemy guild, and pass information to your main guild. This will make guild recruitment interesting. Competitive pvp guilds will have to think twice before letting randoms in.

    Or spam invite everyone into guild X1-X15 and screw over the server through sheer #s...seen it many times
  • LoyhetaLoyheta Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm willing to bet your alts are on the same server since your freehold is account-wide
    Referral Code: KRIFFNYDUZV6L9SF
  • I'd like the game to be alt-friendly enough for at least a second or third character if you really want to devote that much time...

    I prefer sticking to 'one', but finding that 'one' can be such a challenge!

    Having said that, we also need to be careful because whenever a game gets too alt-friendly or it becomes more beneficial to have an alt/more than 1 character rather than just focusing on your main .. games sort of become an alt farm where you're just cycling through characters instead of actually playing one.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    darthaden wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure in a old interview Steven said he wants spies to be a thing in Ashes.
    He did, but there is a problem with this.

    When I recruit people, one of the questions I'd ask is if the character is an alt or their main. If it is an alt, then obviously I am unlikely to recruit it - though if I am in a guild that takes alts, I'll just limit their advancement potential in the guild as well as what information they have available to them (basiaclly, I would assume they are a spy).

    If they say they are on their main, I'd ask to be taken to their freehold.

    With one freehold per account, it will be much harder to not be noticed if you are a spy. It will be possible, but a lot harder.
  • edited July 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    darthaden wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure in a old interview Steven said he wants spies to be a thing in Ashes.
    He did, but there is a problem with this.

    When I recruit people, one of the questions I'd ask is if the character is an alt or their main. If it is an alt, then obviously I am unlikely to recruit it - though if I am in a guild that takes alts, I'll just limit their advancement potential in the guild as well as what information they have available to them (basiaclly, I would assume they are a spy).

    If they say they are on their main, I'd ask to be taken to their freehold.

    With one freehold per account, it will be much harder to not be noticed if you are a spy. It will be possible, but a lot harder.

    Valid method and I've seen it used to great affect in other titles, but it also comes with a downside.
    Limiting alts could limit player involvement, numbers, trust, as well as loyalty so even those who weren't spies, are more easily turned into spies because they do not feel as invested.

    That's not to say I disagree with your method at all! It's almost exactly the way I do things too. I actually love the fact there are these natural pros and cons to these decisions and it's what makes it all so exciting and fun for me.

    Edit: and it does nothing to prevent a true spy. I've had a person stay in our guild for FOUR YEARS (real life years!) and he was a spy the whole time. Pretending to be our friend, and guildmate and all the while he was very subtly feeding our enemy guild information! .... It was awesome. I hope those things will happen here too.
  • Groups like Goon Swarm could do well in platforms like this. However I do hope alts and mains count as one account to any guild/Corp/Clan.
    Let the spy games begin.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Groups like Goon Swarm could do well in platforms like this.
    The only thing holding Goon Swarm and other large corperations together in EVE is the fact that players that leave them may as well leave the game. There is no incentive for players to want to break off and do their own thing bult in to the game.

    In Ashes, there are incentives to do these things - and so something like Goon Swarm simply won't last.

    Also, they have never really lasted more than 6 months in any other game they have tried to dominate.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    Everyone will have obnoxious slave alts to utilize all artisan classes and play solo anyway. Some of them will play on multiple accounts.

    In my opinion this is a design flaw. I hate alts. Alts ruin the immersion, and it's boring to feel the need to do it too.

    I don't think most will.

    Some will, fore sure, but most players don't even bother with crafting at all in games where it is not forced, let alone become self sufficient.
  • noaani wrote: »
    Groups like Goon Swarm could do well in platforms like this.
    The only thing holding Goon Swarm and other large corperations together in EVE is the fact that players that leave them may as well leave the game. There is no incentive for players to want to break off and do their own thing bult in to the game.

    In Ashes, there are incentives to do these things - and so something like Goon Swarm simply won't last.

    Also, they have never really lasted more than 6 months in any other game they have tried to dominate.

    It's true. Game after game I've played, they came and tried to do their thing, and failed miserably against my friends and me.

    People shouldn't worry so much about it in this game because the developers are so aware of zerging as a problem and have designed the game with that in mind.
  • tugowartugowar Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If citizenship and freeholds are limited to 1 per account, then you can't make all the artisan classes yourself. You won't have enough of the required stations that you get from freehold/citizenship.

    Is my assumption.

    Virtue is the only good.
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    Everyone will have obnoxious slave alts to utilize all artisan classes and play solo anyway. Some of them will play on multiple accounts.

    In my opinion these are major design flaws because it could lead to P2W. I hate alts. Alts ruin the immersion, and it's boring to feel the need to do it too.

    I really hope not. That's something I hate too.
    I'm interested to learn what systems will be in place to prevent people from doing this, like .. only being able to have 2-3 characters per server or something? I don't know.
  • phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    You can have multiple characters on the same server and multiple characters on another server.

    The thing is, characters on the same server share node citizenship and freehold (only 1 freehold per account), so if your characters on server A have a freehold placed somewhere, you'd have to deconstruct it if you want your characters on server B to be able to place a freehold of their own.
    tugowar wrote: »
    If citizenship and freeholds are limited to 1 per account, then you can't make all the artisan classes yourself. You won't have enough of the required stations that you get from freehold/citizenship.

    Is my assumption.

    Citizenships can't be 1 per account. That would be impossible to manage (all characters accross all servers being citizens of the same nodes??).
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    10 minutes with no response, means I'm right? I will remove the comment then and keep it as secret plan :( not trusting Intrepid, they're totally ok with alts.

    What secret plan?
  • Alts are a big no for me dawg. I'd rather have to delete my one and only character to check out other classes than to have the game become an alt grind fest. Only having one character means only one name and that shapes your reputation in the community. If I want someone to blacksmith me a sword. I want to ask another established player to do so instead of logging my alt. One character limit would make that character choice matter infinitely more. Don't forget that this is an RPG. Your role should matter.
  • Alts are a big no for me dawg. I'd rather have to delete my one and only character to check out other classes than to have the game become an alt grind fest. Only having one character means only one name and that shapes your reputation in the community. If I want someone to blacksmith me a sword. I want to ask another established player to do so instead of logging my alt. One character limit would make that character choice matter infinitely more. Don't forget that this is an RPG. Your role should matter.

    Give me one MMORPG that is still alive today and has only 1 character slot. People like trying different things and limiting that is a very bad idea.
    Roles mattering doesn't mean you should restrict people to a single one.
  • GreatThodricGreatThodric Member
    edited July 2020
    phdmonster wrote: »
    Alts are a big no for me dawg. I'd rather have to delete my one and only character to check out other classes than to have the game become an alt grind fest. Only having one character means only one name and that shapes your reputation in the community. If I want someone to blacksmith me a sword. I want to ask another established player to do so instead of logging my alt. One character limit would make that character choice matter infinitely more. Don't forget that this is an RPG. Your role should matter.

    Give me one MMORPG that is still alive today and has only 1 character slot. People like trying different things and limiting that is a very bad idea.
    Roles mattering doesn't mean you should restrict people to a single one.

    Just because all MMOs allow for alts doesn't mean that alts are a good idea. That's a non sequitur. Maybe that's why so many MMOs are dead? Your character choice kind of becomes irrelevant if everyone can play everything all the time.

    I don't mind people getting to test out different playstyles to see what they like but that shouldn't inflict problems in other parts of the game. Alts undoubtedly do create problems in class-identity, faction/group-identity, individuality/distinctiveness, profession/trade needs, and subsequently server economy.

    Edit: Not to mention that alts feed the meta gaming engine. Abandoning mains have become common practice just because a few numbers were changed in favor of something you don't normally play.

    Edit 2: And of course you need restrictions to make roles matter. What are you talking about? Why not also just unlock all abilities to all classes, all racials and avatars to all races, all resources to all nodes, and so forth and so forth? The restriction IS what gives you choices meaning. Without them, nothing you choose has any meaning at all. And if your choices don't matter, why are you playing an RPG?
    Take their node system for example. Different nodes have different resources, dungeons, mayors, node types, and enemies available. This is to make you chose where to settle and who to ally yourself with. It's designed with restrictions in mind to make those choices matter to you as a player.
  • In order to master anything in Ashes I get the feeling you will need ALOT of time. So if there is alts the only way you could "have it all" is spend a huge amout of time. Will there be people who does this? of course. Will it be a majority? No.. I base my experience on Lineage 2 and Everquest where alts was a thing... but not nearly as all over the place as you suggest. Since AoC is not a game where one Charactar can do all.. I see no problem having options to make other charactars.
  • DaiskaDaiska Member
    Just putting in my personal unpopular opinion. Alts are important to me, *especially* in a game like this! It's not to cheat or spy, it's simply because I really enjoy experimenting and finding my favorite class/profession. I end up trying everything, then settling on one or two favorites that are funnest for me to play. If I spent a month on a rogue class, then started to not really "feel" it, I still wouldn't want to have to delete it to try the next. For all I know, I may like the next dozen even less and revert back to it.

    Finding who I am in a game is part of the process for me, and to take away the ability to experiment would be such a bummer for me. I'd probably lose interest quickly. The many possibilities are what's drawing me to Ashes in the first place.
  • MinkkuMinkku Member
    edited August 2020
    Alts only made by us in game (children)?
  • The reason for being able to master only one Artisan Class was to encourage player interaction. Because if you've gone full weaponsmith you can't gather high level materials yourself but have to buy them from another player.

    So everyone's just gonna make an alt with a different artisan mastery and they're just gonna provide themselves with everything they need.

    Or is there any reason why that wouldn't work?
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts

    I personally will have 2 a mage and a cleric. Alts are a good thing it allows for the players to try things. Only way I see only one character working is if one character can do everything like in some other games with minimal hassle switching between specs. And hat is bad game play and glad it is not here.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
Sign In or Register to comment.