Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So how popular a choice is animal husbandry looking so far? Will all professions have a pull?

nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I backed this game day one, hour one on kickstarter (not to brag, but I think I was backer 150!), but as the last ten years have been a total downer for MMOs I have taken a bit of a backseat until now. Would hate for another Vanguard. With the Lazy Peon and Asmongold videos raising the hype a lot I'm back.

In SWG (one of the best MMOs ever) I was a creature handler/bio-engineer and I have been waiting for an MMO to do something similar for years.

So imagine my glee when I hear Lazy Peon mention animal husbandry. That was the first I knew of it in Ashes. I immediately decided this was to be my Ashes role. I want to own the Ashes version of the Godolphin Arabian.

But...

I fear Animal Husbandry will be a popular choice. Maybe too popular. It's a glamorous profession for an MMO because it's not been done, at least in huge detail, since SWG's Bio-Engineer.

Do Intrepid have plans to make all professions a strong pull and stop certain profession choices from becoming saturated with players making that profession their choice?

Comments

• Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If it ends up being too popular the profits will drop and people will switch. That's the great thing about a free market. Supply and demand will balance each other out.
  • Options
    nidriksnidriks Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    edited July 2020
    darthaden wrote: »
    If it ends up being too popular the profits will drop and people will switch. That's the great thing about a free market. Supply and demand will balance each other out.

That's a good point, but how over exploited will all the options being built in to the profession be before people decide to switch?

Maybe it's a selfish desire, but I'd like be a serious animal husbander, but if all the secrets are discover in double quick time will it lose its gloss?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If all players became crafters (Rather than processors or gatherers) then you'd face roughly 5,000 competitors out of a total of 50,000 Registered Players per server. In Processing there are two options, so you would face 25,000 people potentially if it is an equal split. If everyone chose Gathering, you'd face a potential 10,000 competitors.

These calculations are based on equal distribution of each of the functionalities.

It is difficult to say where the majority will reside. However, it is safe to say that saturation amongst 50,000 Players, when Mounts can die, should be able to be managed. It shouldn't be oversaturated for certain professions as all professions will be required. The Game requires all of the functions to effectively manage the endeavours. Your share of the market could fluctuate wildly though. It is difficult to say for certain how often Animal Husbandry will be required.

There are people who will makes alts and will further swamp the market. It's not reason to be fearful though. I do not think it will lose its gloss.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I always choose professions based on what I think is fun and what I think suits my character best, and not based off of profit.

My reasoning is I'd rather have fun all the time and make profit sometimes when the market allows it, than make profit all the time but doing things I'm not really that excited about doing.

I will for sure have animal husbandry on at least one character because it sounds like a lot of fun and something I want to try.