Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Shield action use

Hey guys! Just a question, are we going to physically be able to use equiped shields? Or is it just a cosmetic item with the passive attribute.

RaiderZ did really well with left click sword and holding right click was shield use, it made the tank class so much more dynamic and more immersive in combat! Really really bad ass when fighting.. repairing for the shield was expensive but it made it useful in game rather it just be a cosmetic item. Just wondering if this will incorporated!

Really want to hear back on this!

Thanks again guys :)

Comments

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    We have no idea how classes work. We have to wait for alpha.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Shields will be a thing, for sure.

edit: Oh. I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought you meant if shields will be items in the game or just cosmetics.

I don't know if there will be right mouse blocking with shields, I doubt it though. It would add a bit too much playerskill variable to an RPG where your character's strength is really more important than your own reflexes. But I could be wrong! Would be a fun and unique experience if shields could actually block with right mouse, too.
  • Options
    NiraadaNiraada Member
    edited July 2020
    IIRC Steven mentioned that the data they took from APOC showed that active shield block proved problematic due to latency and other issues, and that going forward they were looking at having the shield blocking 'action' being something like a temporary flag/buff applied to your character, basically making blocking automatic within that frame, while still allowing for timing and position to be meaningful.

I just looked it up on the wiki, and you should be able to find this if you search Active Blocking on there.
  • Options
    Niraada wrote: »
    IIRC Steven mentioned that the data they took from APOC showed that active shield block proved problematic due to latency and other issues, and that going forward they were looking at having the shield blocking 'action' being something like a temporary flag/buff applied to your character, basically making blocking automatic within that frame, while still allowing for timing and position to be meaningful.

I just looked it up on the wiki, and you should be able to find this if you search Active Blocking on there.

That sounds really fun.
  • Options
    Arag0nArag0n Member
    edited August 2020
    I would love for at least the option to actively block incoming hits via your shield. As mentioned on the wiki, your shield has a pool of Hp, and when this pool is depleted you then cannot block with your shield and you now take actual damage off your Hp. You would have a certain amount of natural shield regeneration and then abilities to more quickly regenerate this shield.

Wiki quote: The Paladin's Might shield in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse had its own hit box with hit points (HP). It can actively block projectiles.

In my opinion this creates a very dynamic and interactive game-play style, since you can get to learn how certain mobs attack and also players and learn when and how best to block certain attacks, which ones you should block and which you should just face tank and then let the healer heal that Hp back, and basically block attacks when you won't get a heal soon, or even attacks that might 1 shot you without your shield up.

Much of my Tanking experience and philosophy is influenced by the MMORPG Neverwinter.

Best Wishes,
    Aragon.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shields will be items that you can equip like any other sword or axe.
    They implemented the Sword&Shield combo in APOC because there was no real equipment slot.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »
    Shields will be items that you can equip like any other sword or axe.
    They implemented the Sword&Shield combo in APOC because there was no real equipment slot.

Brother, we had an amazing discussion earlier today, but I think you've missed the point in this thread :D
    Niraada wrote: »

That is amazing info, I did not know about this. Thank you.
    Shields will be a thing, for sure.

edit: Oh. I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought you meant if shields will be items in the game or just cosmetics.

I don't know if there will be right mouse blocking with shields, I doubt it though. It would add a bit too much playerskill variable to an RPG where your character's strength is really more important than your own reflexes. But I could be wrong! Would be a fun and unique experience if shields could actually block with right mouse, too.

I totally get where you're coming from, but on the other hand, AoC is very daring in a sense that pretty much everything in the game is innovative. I don't see a reason why they couldn't try to implement this in the game, aswell. Well... other than... they already did and it did not work properly, apparently. xD Dang it...
    Quetil wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just a question, are we going to physically be able to use equiped shields? Or is it just a cosmetic item with the passive attribute.

RaiderZ did really well with left click sword and holding right click was shield use, it made the tank class so much more dynamic and more immersive in combat! Really really bad ass when fighting.. repairing for the shield was expensive but it made it useful in game rather it just be a cosmetic item. Just wondering if this will incorporated!

Really want to hear back on this!

Thanks again guys :)

Seems like it won't be a thing. Maybe in a different way, as said by Niraada, but not what you're thinking. But I agree, that it would be absolutely amazing!
  • Options
    Hey thanks heaps for the response, exactly what I was looking for! Yeah when I experienced this on RaiderZ for the first time after playing a lot of Other MMORPGs, it created brand new dynamic movement in action combat as well as increasing the depth of combat in PVE and PVP. You had to accurately time blocks Then counter with a left click (sword swing) as well as analyse your mobs and enemy class skills.

I noticed the previous comment, saying that it was tested, I only hope now they consider this as an option for alpha one testing!

I’m really excited for this game and I am one of those people anticipating that this will be the MMORPG we are waiting for and will be there for generations, I just wanted to bring this up as something that could be implemented early to boost that gameplay feeling to enhance the impactful feel of defence to combat.

HOPEFULLY STEVEN SEES THIS! 😅👌🏻
    Arag0n wrote: »
    I would love for at least the option to actively block incoming hits via your shield. As mentioned on the wiki, your shield has a pool of Hp, and when this pool is depleted you then cannot block with your shield and you now take actual damage off your Hp. You would have a certain amount of natural shield regeneration and then abilities to more quickly regenerate this shield.

Wiki quote: The Paladin's Might shield in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse had its own hit box with hit points (HP). It can actively block projectiles.

In my opinion this creates a very dynamic and interactive game-play style, since you can get to learn how certain mobs attack and also players and learn when and how best to block certain attacks, which ones you should block and which you should just face tank and then let the healer heal that Hp back, and basically block attacks when you won't get a heal soon, or even attacks that might 1 shot you without your shield up.

Much of my Tanking experience and philosophy is influenced by the MMORPG Neverwinter.

Best Wishes,
    Aragon.